mtbr member
    Nov 2009

salsa beargrease and pivot les fat

salsa beargrease and pivot les fat
    I am in the marked for a new fat bike and have been looking at these two. This isn't really a one vs the other thread. it is more of are both these bikes close to enough that either one will do? head angle seems to be within .5 degrees and it looks like they both will run all the wheels sizes from 26 all the way up to 29+. is there any reason why I would want one over the other that I am not seeing? I will be probably looking at a used bike so having two close models to search for obviously doubles the chance of me finding something that will fit the price and specs that I want.

thanks
    adam

aka bOb
    Since you are talking used the Beargrease will only be a 177 rear hub (4" tire) and the Pivot is a 197 and can fit a bigger tire if that's something that matters to you. Unless you happen to find a used 2019 BG and I believe those are good up to a 4.6".

mtbr member
    Just to reinforce the idea of how much Salsa's bikes with the same name change. The Mukluk used to be their all around 4" tire bike, and the Blackborow was their all around 5" tire bike. Now the Mukluk is their all around 5" tire bike, and the Blackborow is a cargo fat bike. The Beargrease hasn't changed as much as those but it has gone from 26 x 4 to 27.5 x 4. And on a lot of bikes hubs have gone from 177mm x 135mm to 197mm x 150mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the heads up on the rear wheel spacing. i didnt realize it was brand new this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    Just to reinforce the idea of how much Salsa's bikes with the same name change. The Mukluk used to be their all around 4" tire bike, and the Blackborow was their all around 5" tire bike
    This makes me feel better about my sanity! I remembered test riding a Blackborrow a couple years ago thinking it was a pretty nice riding "trail" rig. Now, looking at new bikes I see it as this stretched out cargo bike and wondered if I was imagining things.