Salsa 170mm hubs...any good?- Mtbr.com
    Eating Hot Pockets

Salsa 170mm hubs...any good?

browsing the limited selection of 170mm hubs, I see the Salsas are available at a pretty reasonable price...
    while not my first choice (that would be Hadley), I was wondering how well have they been holding up on Mucks?
    anybody have any freehub issues? seems like a decent option for a cheap Summer 29er wheelset, if nothing else.. who makes them for Salsa?

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    The nicer ones are 4 sealed bearing Formula units. They have been working well for our customers. For the money they work well. Fwiw I can tell very little difference while riding between these and my phil's. My wallet sure noticed the difference!
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

aka bOb
    Formula makes them and I have 2 of em waiting for my new build.
    Last edited by bdundee; 12-02-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Mechainc
    The salsa hubs are nice for the money and work great for fat-bikes. 616 is making a hub that is crazy light, they are being tested by the bearded horse.
    Winter is always here, stay Fat!

Mechainc
    this is a photo of the 616 rear hub

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by teaniner View Post
    this is a photo of the 616 rear hub
    Very very cool, I just looked them up on Facebook. Too bad thay missed my builds for this year.

Harmonius Wrench
    I got Phil Wood hubs back last November and finally got the bike together in January. The first hub failed in three rides, went back in for servicing, and then failed after one more ride. 5.5 months later I got a replacement hub which also failed. I gave up on the Phil hubs.

Got some of the nicer Salsa hubs and the performance has been stellar so far after lots of riding. Hubs as they should work. I recommend them.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

aka bOb
    Ok now I'm confused, Surly has the black 170mm hub and the colored set are they different in quality? Is there one i don't know about?

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    So two references to "the nicer" Salsa. Is there more than one? I can only see one on QBP's site...

@ the OP, I have one of the black Salsa's, it's got a couple hundred miles on it now, it mud, dry, and moderate temps, so far so good. I understand that they may need a rebuild with lighter grease on the pawls to be happy in the sub freezing temps, or so it was last year when they first came out.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Mechainc
    Salsa Hubs are the same between all the colors. I just checked QBP's site and they say nothing about being different. I have the black rear and its working great! It is better to buy the colored ones because of the cost difference. Blue and Red are sold as a hub set with skewers and the black you have to buy rear, front and skewers all separate,Ends up costing more. I recommend Dumonde Tech lubes to get ready for all winter riding.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    So two references to "the nicer" Salsa. Is there more than one? I can only see one on QBP's site...
    There were two at one time, now I only see the "nicer" of those two being offered now. Salsa Cycles | Components

I know that at one time- earlier in the year- I was told by chequamegon/Tim from Salsa that there would be a nicer hub than they offered at that time- ie: the one you see now- and if I wanted nicer hubs, that would be the option to get.

They call them Mukluk 2 hubs, alluding to the possible existence of Muk 3 hubs or Muk 1 hubs at some point, I would guess. At least following Salsa's logic in branding at this point, that would make sense.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    There were two at one time, now I only see the "nicer" of those two being offered now.
    Roger that, thanks for clarifying!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I got Phil Wood hubs back last November and finally got the bike together in January. The first hub failed in three rides, went back in for servicing, and then failed after one more ride. 5.5 months later I got a replacement hub which also failed. I gave up on the Phil hubs.

Got some of the nicer Salsa hubs and the performance has been stellar so far after lots of riding. Hubs as they should work. I recommend them.
    Wow.

Never heard of Phil Wood product having that level of problem before. Bummer.

I've got one of his BB's on my 29er, had it for 2 years and haven't had to have it serviced yet.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    Wow.

Never heard of Phil Wood product having that level of problem before. Bummer.

I've got one of his BB's on my 29er, had it for 2 years and haven't had to have it serviced yet.

BB's, single speed hubs- yeah. I'd agree with you 100%. However; the (now) old 4 pawl design free hub was what my issue was stemming from. At the time, those were an outsourced part from PW. Now they are reportedly bringing that back in house and have designed a newer, 5 pawl free hub body.

I've heard from a few other folks that have had issues with their free hub bodies since I posted about this a while back.

But that's all water under the dam now and I have Salsa hubs which have been flawless so far, and I expect will remain so. I'd buy them again, and in fact, I am going to for my next fat bike wheel build.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

just ride
    I know that at one time- earlier in the year- I was told by chequamegon/Tim from Salsa that there would be a nicer hub than they offered at that time- ie: the one you see now- and if I wanted nicer hubs, that would be the option to get.

They call them Mukluk 2 hubs, alluding to the possible existence of Muk 3 hubs or Muk 1 hubs at some point, I would guess. At least following Salsa's logic in branding at this point, that would make sense.
    Yes, the hub we primarily sell aftermarket is the Mukluk 2 hub - and it is a 4 sealed bearing, alloy axle, 3 pawl design that was designed in conjunction with Formula. For OEM on the Mukluk 3 complete bike, we have a Mukluk 3 hub that uses the same base forging on the hub shell, but uses 2 sealed bearings in the hubshell, a more standard Shimano-style freehub body and steel axle. At this time, we are not selling the Mukluk 3 hub aftermarket.

Tim, Salsa Product Manager
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

turtles make me hot
    How do they stand up to Clyde abuse? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hadley.
    I like turtles

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    How do they stand up to Clyde abuse? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hadley.

I go 230 before gearing up and have used my Salsa hubs for single track, urban assault rides, and in the mud. I'd say you should be just fine.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Yes, the hub we primarily sell aftermarket is the Mukluk 2 hub - and it is a 4 sealed bearing, alloy axle, 3 pawl design that was designed in conjunction with Formula. For OEM on the Mukluk 3 complete bike, we have a Mukluk 3 hub that uses the same base forging on the hub shell, but uses 2 sealed bearings in the hubshell, a more standard Shimano-style freehub body and steel axle. At this time, we are not selling the Mukluk 3 hub aftermarket.

Tim, Salsa Product Manager

Are you guys stocking replacement parts for these now?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Are you guys stocking replacement parts for these now?
    Yes, replacement freehub bodies (FW8840 and FW8841), and axle assemblies (HU8840, HU8841, HU8842) have been in stock for a while. Freehub bodies are listed under the Formula brand name because they fit a variety of different private-labeled Formula built hubs.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

turtles make me hot
    Thanks, Ted. I'm currently 257, down from an all time high of 288. I'm guessing I won't be hammering up steep hills in snow, so yeah, they should be fine. I was going to run a Hadley on the rear and a Surly up front... I guess I could add some color to the bike and go with a pair of Salsas.
    I like turtles

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Yes, replacement freehub bodies (FW8840 and FW8841), and axle assemblies (HU8840, HU8841, HU8842) have been in stock for a while. Freehub bodies are listed under the Formula brand name because they fit a variety of different private-labeled Formula built hubs.
    Cool. Bearings too, or are we to source them at a bearing supply? #?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Cool. Bearings too, or are we to source them at a bearing supply? #?
    Anyone know the bearing size for mukluk rear, the four bearing model? Phil part number? Salsa didn't answer phone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm glad Salsa doesn't want to retail the Muk 3 hubs. Who in their right mind would buy a hub that has 1 point of engagement? Actually, they are not unrideable, but after using Hope Fatsno's on my BG, the Muk 3 hubs are very poor performing- high POE spoil you quickly. This is the one area where I wish the OEM would step up- brakes, derailliers, bars ect. are all easy to upgrade, but changing out a cheap rear hub for a nice one is pricey, due to the need for spokes, nipples and build if you can't do it yourself. What would it add? Like $100-$200 per bike to have a Hope/Hadley/King?

mtbr member
    Those 616's look like a thick straw! Are they for sale yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Those 616's look like a thick straw! Are they for sale yet?
    Been available for a year or more. Fat | Six 1 Six Bicycle Fabrication

Note they are Centerlock disc mount.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescyco View Post
    Anyone know the bearing size for mukluk rear, the four bearing model? Phil part number? Salsa didn't answer phone.
    The hub shell bearings are 6903s (17x30x7) Q# = BB6903, you'll need 2. If the freehub bearings are shot, we recommend just replacing the entire freehub assembly.

[email protected]

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks, Salsa.

From Phil Wood:

PWX93 Ultimate - High Endurance BB Bearing
    $21.00
    Mfg#: 6903 Comments: Ultimate - High Endurance BB Bearing
    I.D.: 17mm
    O.D.: 30mm
    Width: 7mm