RST Renegade Feedback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

RST Renegade Feedback

I know the Mastodon is the fork of choice. I have a Magnum that I run with 27.5x3.8 and dig it. But the RST renegade is so so cheap, I am intrigued as I would like to run 29+ and bigger fat tires than my current set up allows. Any feedback from long term users?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I know the Mastodon is the fork of choice. I have a Magnum that I run with 27.5x3.8 and dig it. But the RST renegade is so so cheap, I am intrigued as I would like to run 29+ and bigger fat tires than my current set up allows. Any feedback from long term users?
    I've been running a Renegade for going on two years now and have had absolutely no problems having used it hard in all kinds of nasty conditions. I recently obtained a wheelset for running 29 X 3.0 on one of my fat bikes using a Renegade and it works great.

For some comparison, I have a 29+ bike equipped with a Magnum and it pains me to admit that I have a slight preference for the fat bike set up for 29+. I'm giving the fat bike to my kid (ulterior motive.....he's moving to Anchorage and it'll be waiting for me to use when I visit)

I'd really like to have the justification to buy a Mastodon but since I've been fully satisfied with the performance of the Renegade, it's difficult to justify the purchase when it's more than twice the price. (found @ < $300 shipped on ebay)

If it's a cost effective means for you to get into plus, I'd say go for it.

mtbr member
    I've been running one for a couple weeks or so. I have a bluto that likes to leak air, but the price was right, so I tried the Renegade. The fork has great clearance for width(lower legs are 6" apart), but I was disappointed to find that the Showshoe XXL does not clear the arch at the top. It will turn, but with much resistance. Dropping the pressure to sub 1 psi gets it close, but still some rub. I have to swap to my carbon fork for that tyre, which is a nuisance, but whatevs.

I found that the recommended pressure was way too low for my liking. It suggested 80 psi, I think, but I've been running it at 150. Might drop it down a hair. The rebound adjust works. It was a bit bouncy with minimum rebound setting. Dialed it up all the way and it went away. Ended up somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range. While I don't think the damping is anything special, it runs thru it's travel smoothly, holds air, and gets me some cushion on the fatbike. For the price paid, it's doing it's job. I didn't run them back to back, but believe it's stiffer than the bluto I ran before. The lockout works and is very firm. Almost rigid.

I don't regret it yet, but long term is the real test.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    That particular fork has 100 mm travel.

Here is a 120 mm fork for a little more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RST-Renegad...YhYO:rk:9:pf:0

It's in AUS, so look at the USD amount.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you guys know if the 100mm can be changed to 120mm? I emailed RST with no answer, great sign. hopeing a spacer could be removed to get the 120....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have that fork and actually like it also.... the problem is the company, I emailed them asking where I can get parts to do a lower leg service and no reply. I can't find a service kit being sold anywhere for it. Heard similar experiences from others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anyone obtain RENEGADE parts?

Starting on page 62
    Some parts listed, assume some are Renegade cross compatible?
    (Air Cartridge Upgrade Kit same as OMEGA 29/ AERIAL 29?)

http://rstsuspension.com/images/Cata...-Catalogue.pdf

DAMPER: OCR O-ring kit?
    O-ring kit for 32mm H5GORHGEC0-AM (?)

May or may not be relevant?
    https://youtu.be/VXWqDzcoKEc
    https://youtu.be/kT8weWMu34A
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Whoa, I missed this the first time I read the post (and sorry this is slightly off topic), but a Magnum clears a 27.5x3.8" tire? What setup, would like to hear more about that

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I thought RST made a junk fork in 1997 and offered piss poor customer service. It looks like nothing has changed 22 years later. I’m surprised they are still in business.

mtbr member
    Life is to short to ride rst forks.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a Magnum Comp 27.5+ . It fits the Hodag 27.5x3.8 mounted on a stans Hugo (50mm internal). Works great - and love it from spring to fall - but miss the fatness of my fat bike. Now considering 29+ for spring-fall and fatter setup for winter....

Anyway thanks to those with good comments or experience.

mtbr member
    Can get a renegade off aliexpress for under $300 usd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I've been running one for a couple weeks or so. I have a bluto that likes to leak air, but the price was right, so I tried the Renegade. The fork has great clearance for width(lower legs are 6" apart), but I was disappointed to find that the Showshoe XXL does not clear the arch at the top. It will turn, but with much resistance. Dropping the pressure to sub 1 psi gets it close, but still some rub. I have to swap to my carbon fork for that tyre, which is a nuisance, but whatevs...

I don't regret it yet, but long term is the real test.
    Thanks for feedback. About to pull trigger....I want to run a 27.5 vanhelga. It’s about 30.5”...think that will fit ok? Sounds like the xxl is closer to 31.5”...thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm very interested in this thread. Having a Ritchey Commando I'm stuck needing a straight steerer fork.

Should I upgrade to a suspension fork I think I'm limited to Chinese eBay sets like Pasak or the RST Renegade. Getting them in the UK is the major sticking point.

mtbr member
    X-post. Should've posted here, I guess...

The renegade is preforming fine. But I cannot recommend it. I bought it in November, rode it for most of two months, less a couple weeks I rode my carbon fork. I rode it brand new, out of box, and after a few weeks, it started getting stictiony. I took it off in mid January, and removed the lowers to clean and lube. I found the bottom of the stanchions to be corroded/pitted.

I cleaned and greased it (it still had much factory grease). Put it back together, and it functions fine, but I fear it's not long for this world. The lowers are being eaten away, presumably by road salt.

I'm not sure what grade of material these things are made from, but I've never seen this level of degradation on any fork, regardless of age. This thing looks hit after two months. Buyer beware.

mtbr member
    Should also mention that I have to remove the thru axle with knipex pliers, in addition to the lever, to avoid breaking it. Even though I swap wheels every couple weeks, and grease the thru axle every time I do it, it corrodes where the end caps are and becomes extremely difficult to turn. Again, something I've not experienced, even with a bluto that lived on the back of my car for multiple seasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Model?

Should also mention that I have to remove the thru axle with knipex pliers, in addition to the lever, to avoid breaking it. Even though I swap wheels every couple weeks, and grease the thru axle every time I do it, it corrodes where the end caps are and becomes extremely difficult to turn. Again, something I've not experienced, even with a bluto that lived on the back of my car for multiple seasons.
    That is serious quick corrosion. Which model? All black legs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Looks like the DOT loaded up the acid instead of the de-icer.
    Seriously;if that's happening to your fork what's happening to car components like wheels?

mtbr member
    It was the rlt version they were blowing out at the house. My friends say what do you expect for $250? I'm pretty sure Walmart is full of bikes with throw away forks that hold up better. I'd expect a basic fork with basic damping that is competently constructed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh dear. That buggers that plan then. Given the near whole year mud & slop I ride in here in northern Scotland I doubt these will cope well at all.

Pity 😕

mtbr member
    I mean, first one on the internet, i know a few that have had this fork on their norcos for 3 years now and they dont seem to be crumbling away,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I mean, first one on the internet, i know a few that have had this fork on their norcos for 3 years now and they dont seem to be crumbling away,

Yeah, very strange how badly that fork corroded. I guess I didn't realize that salt was that corrosive to magnesium alloy.

I live in Michigan so rock salt is the answer to all road conditions if our DOT is to be trusted. It's painful to do, but I have to transport my bikes on a rear mounted bike rack, so they get a thorough salt water misting whenever I transport them in the winter months.

After a two years of regular use, my Renegades look almost as good as new. I recently removed the stanchions from the lowers to clean and load with Slickoleum and they look pretty fresh. But I have the 120 mm version (with the black stanchions)....not sure if that may have anything to do with it. I also remove my suspension fork and put a rigid on for winter use.

So far I haven't had any issues, but am sorry to see that you are.

mtbr member
    dahedd sed,

Oh dear. That buggers that plan then. Given the near whole year mud & slop I ride in here in northern Scotland I doubt these will cope well at all.

Pity

I wouldn't worry that much about mud and slop. It sounds like road salt is the main culprit.

My fork is exposed to a lot of mud and water and remains sparkling clean after two years of fairly hard use.

To be honest, I'd rather destroy a $300 fork than a $600 anyway. I guess I subscribe a bit to the "buy cheap, buy often" philosophy.

mtbr member
    The real tragedy is that as F'd up as RST's service support is, AllMountin' probably won't get any help regarding the matter.

Maybe talk with the folks at The House? They've always seemed pretty eager to help in the few times that I've talked to them.

mtbr member
    I looked at the purchase as a gamble anyway, knowing their customer service isn't reputable. Figured a couple seasons use would justify the price. Basically run it till something fails and move on. The corrosion I've noted hasn't hurt the fork function yet, so that still remains the same. I don't like it, but as long as it works... I don't care about the cosmetics.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If I was transporting my bike externally in those kind of (salt) conditions, I'd wash it after every ride, then get it somewhere warm to dry to cut down on rust/oxidation.

I'm pretty careful to carry my bike over any salt, but I have to watch my cleats and clean them when I get home.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    My guess is that amount of salt would likely have messed up any fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post

After a two years of regular use, my Renegades look almost as good as new. I recently removed the stanchions from the lowers to clean and load with Slickoleum and they look pretty fresh. But I have the 120 mm version (with the black stanchions)....not sure if that may have anything to do with it. I also remove my suspension fork and put a rigid on for winter use.
    I am looking at the 120mm versionw ith black stanchions. Would you be able to measure the axle to arch clearance? I wanted to run a 27.5x4.0 vanhelga which is about 30.3" tall. So guessing I need about 15.25" or so to clear.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... The corrosion I've noted hasn't hurt the fork function yet, so that still remains the same. I don't like it, but as long as it works... I don't care about the cosmetics.
    How about clean and degrease the pitting, sand/peel the paint back a bit from the pitting to ensure it's not spreading on the metal right under the paint, then fill and seal with an epoxy, or JB Weld?

Do they salt or salt&sand with salt crystals, or have they gone over to the liquid salts?
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    I am looking at the 120mm versionw ith black stanchions. Would you be able to measure the axle to arch clearance? I wanted to run a 27.5x4.0 vanhelga which is about 30.3" tall. So guessing I need about 15.25" or so to clear.
    Thanks!
    I can do that. Give me a day or two and I'll get back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If I was transporting my bike externally in those kind of (salt) conditions, I'd wash it after every ride, then get it somewhere warm to dry to cut down on rust/oxidation.

I'm pretty careful to carry my bike over any salt, but I have to watch my cleats and clean them when I get home.
    I kind of thought about that myself and it's a big part of the reason that I switch my main driver over to a rigid fork for winter riding since I have to transport my bike externally....that and it gives me an opportunity to PM the bikes between seasons.

any semi-ferrous parts look pretty gnarly by the time spring rolls around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a bluto that likes to leak air, but the price was right, so I tried the Renegade. The fork has great clearance for width(lower legs are 6" apart), but I was disappointed to find that the Showshoe XXL does not clear the arch at the top.
    Do you recall if the Bluto or Renegade had more clearance to the top arch? i want to run 29+ and 27.5x4.0 vanhelga. The 120 renegade is $275 new and can get a 100 bluto in great condition for 240 (but woudl need to swap airspring to get to 120)...Trying to decide on which one. I am also a heavy rider if that matters. Thansk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any updates on how tall a tire the renegade fits? Or measurement of axle to arch? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    ... any semi-ferrous parts look pretty gnarly by the time spring rolls around.
    Have you tried the Fluid Film that fared well in the salt then battery acid tests that was posted here in mtbr fat bikes? Spray those parts and some on a cloth and wipe everything else down. It seems to be popular for motorcycle chains. It freed up and protected some friend's kids bike chains.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Still hoping horse or all mountain have time to post clearance measurement axle to arch ? I think a blunt is 390mm, hoping for at least that and maybe a touch more. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Still hoping horse or all mountain have time to post clearance measurement axle to arch ? I think a blunt is 390mm, hoping for at least that and maybe a touch more. Thanks!
    Sorry jefe, I've been pretty busy.

I'll try to get to it this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, I went for it. The 15% ebay coupon got the black stanchion 120mm model down to $230 shipped. Hope it fits my 27.5 vanhelga - a great tire.

mtbr member
    Well, I went for it. The 15% ebay coupon got the black stanchion 120mm model down to $230 shipped. Hope it fits my 27.5 vanhelga - a great tire.
    According to my highly precise Stanley tape measure and some math, I have an axle center to crown height of 312 mm.....

Sorry that it took so long. Due to some relocation activities and misplacing all 3 of my tape measures, I had to go buy yet another one. I literally measured it this morning.

Hope it works out for you. Despite the brand, it's a decent fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks! Maybe math is off - I was expecting about 390 or so. 312 is only 12.25" so would not fit a 24" tire. 25.4mm per inch. Hopeing it would be 15.5" or so. But I can use a gnarwhal if it doesn't fit. Thanks for looking appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Why not just get a bluto? I just picked up a like new rct3 for 260 usd shipped. Clears my 27.5 D4s and has a much better adjustable damper. It also has service parts readily available and lots of support.

Edit- just realized you need to clear bigger tires.

Goodluck!

mtbr member
    Thanks! Maybe math is off - I was expecting about 390 or so. 312 is only 12.25" so would not fit a 24" tire. 25.4mm per inch. Hopeing it would be 15.5" or so. But I can use a gnarwhal if it doesn't fit. Thanks for looking appreciate it.

Must've done my math wrong....not sure how I came up with that number. I measured 15 3/8"

....sorry about that

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

good deal

Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    Why not just get a bluto? I just picked up a like new rct3 for 260 usd shipped. Clears my 27.5 D4s and has a much better adjustable damper. It also has service parts readily available and lots of support.

Edit- just realized you need to clear bigger tires.

Goodluck!
    At $260 I would had gone that route. I watched on go for $400 this last weekend on eBay. So good job. I ride an xl fame so need a long steerer or new. Also 120mm. So easy button sometimes. Although budgeted, can’t spend too much time chasing things...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Renegade fits the 27.5 Vanhelga with about 4-5 mm to spare. Unfortunately, the Ausie company on ebay sent me the metal stanchion version, not the black anodized as they advertised. A bit bummed about that. Will see if they can make it right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Sorry for the thread bump.

I bit the bullet & grabbed a set of these for my Fatty, the straight steerer being one of the major factors. So far so good, coping well with the Scottish slop. I'm still trying to figure out the best psi to run them at though.

I spoke to RST for advice as there's no mention of the fork in the provided manual. They recommend that I use the psi chart for their Rogue & Ariel series forks. So for my weight of 13.4 (85kg) the recommend between 80 & 100 psi. Does this sound about right? I can feel/hear them bottoming out if they take a big hit on landing or repeated bumps. I've tried more psi & it doesn't make a huge difference. Should I go lower?

Elitest thrill junkie
    You are asking if you are bottoming out if you should use lower PSI?

I guess since you have two of them if you break the first you can put the second on?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Dunno where the 2 of them comes from. I'm. Looking for constructive advice tbh. They're rather vague on the recommended psi so I'm curious what other users are running theirs at.
    They soak up the little hits well, just need a little advice for the bigger hits.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahedd01 View Post
    Dunno where the 2 of them comes from. I'm. Looking for constructive advice tbh. They're rather vague on the recommended psi so I'm curious what other users are running theirs at.
    They soak up the little hits well, just need a little advice for the bigger hits.
    My bad, I thought you had a set of these.

You need to totally disregard manufacturer suggested retail PSI. Set for sag around 20%, then go from there based on your ride, on an aggressive ride (real rocky with hard hits) you probably want around a half an inch in reserve, most air forks get pretty progressive after that point, so if your hardest stuff is around that, you should be pretty well setup for the emergency hits. Shock and fork PSI can vary widely based on many factors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Cheers mate. Just getting used to them. Riding with the a certainly helped the pain in my shoulder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi all, not to jump in mid discussion but has anyone had issue with play in the front wheel?

Axle cranked down and locked I still have some play in the front wheel? The QR on the axle also never stays in the locked position so I zip tied it to the fork leg to keep it locked.

Anyone find or know of aftermarket options? I wouldn't think this should be too hard to find but just curious if anyone has tried anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have to crank mine down, but do not end up with play or loosening....

For what is worth this fork seems equivalent to a Reba.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Not had any issues with the front QR so far. Feels like it has a magnet to assist it, better than the QR on my Revelations on my old Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the replies. Makes me think maybe I just got a bad apple of an axle. Might have to hunt one down. Not super noticeable but enough that I'd be worried about long term issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    My Renegades came with a lock out cable as standard for routing to the bars. I never use this feature and finds it spoils the look/layout of my bars (hate the term cockpit) can this be replaced with a conventional compression adjustment dial ? if so where do you reckon id be able to pick one up from ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    My Renegades came with a lock out cable as standard for routing to the bars. I never use this feature and finds it spoils the look/layout of my bars (hate the term cockpit) can this be replaced with a conventional compression adjustment dial ? if so where do you reckon id be able to pick one up from ?
    I contacted RST directly about this as I'm in the same boat as you. Find the lockout lever just gets in the way on my bars. They quoted me $42 to ship the knob over from Taiwan to the US.

I'd check out their distributors page (https://rstsuspension.com/en/company/distributors) to see what's closest to you can contact them too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon29 View Post
    I contacted RST directly about this as I'm in the same boat as you. Find the lockout lever just gets in the way on my bars. They quoted me $42 to ship the knob over from Taiwan to the US.
    $42?? That's taking the mickey. My mate has his own bike shop, I'll see if he can come up with anything, that or I have an old set of Chinese Pasak Forks with a compression dial on them, maybe I can swap em over.

mtbr member
    The Renegade fits the 27.5 Vanhelga with about 4-5 mm to spare. Unfortunately, the Ausie company on ebay sent me the metal stanchion version, not the black anodized as they advertised. A bit bummed about that. Will see if they can make it right.
    What one is it? The newest one on their site says it fits true 5” with 100mm rims.

I just bought one, was going to use it with my 3.8” minions during fall rides but if it fits my 4.5” gnarwhals thats pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I'm having no issues running mine with a 26x4.6 Specialized Ground Control tyre.

mtbr member

RST Renegade Feedback

I'm having no issues running mine with a 26x4.6 Specialized Ground Control tyre.
    Gnarwhals are 27.5” wheels tho. I did some measuring and i dont think they will work. Oh well. I was planning to run my rigid in winter with the studs and the sus fork summer with the narrower tires

mtbr member

Welp its no mastodon... but it seems nice and solid.

Not a widely used fork but sounds like from what I found the black stanchion fork works very well and is sturdier than a bluto.

Doesnt fit the 4.5” gnarwhal, will throw it on in the spring when i put my 3.8” non studded tires on.

mtbr member

Welp will see how it rides tomorrow night at the group ride.

Emailed rst Taiwan and they sent me psi specs, sag specs, how to change it to 80 or 120mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Kind of resurrecting since I'm in search of a suspension fork. I kind of decided on the Mastadon ($600), but came across the Renegade for half the price.

how is it holding up and riding especially in winter? I saw people all the way up had corrosion problems (not sure how that compares to other forks on the salty road).

How is serviceability? Is it easy to find parts and information on how to service it?

Edit: I found the 32mm sealkit. Is there anything else needed for service besides oil? what about damper service? (I'm a noob and have no idea about fork service....)
    Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 03-06-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Been running my Renegades through the Scottish slop for the last 6/7 months & bar the odd clunk as they use all their travel on the local drop offs they've been perfect. I've got the straight steerer version (100mm)

I think the answer to my next question has been answered above but how do folk find the forks with a 29+ wheel set? I know the Commandos rigid fork & rear are 29+ compatible but I just want to check how folk are getting on before I bite the bullet.