mtbr member
    Mar 2007

RST Renegade Feedback

I know the Mastodon is the fork of choice. I have a Magnum that I run with 27.5x3.8 and dig it. But the RST renegade is so so cheap, I am intrigued as I would like to run 29+ and bigger fat tires than my current set up allows. Any feedback from long term users?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I know the Mastodon is the fork of choice. I have a Magnum that I run with 27.5x3.8 and dig it. But the RST renegade is so so cheap, I am intrigued as I would like to run 29+ and bigger fat tires than my current set up allows. Any feedback from long term users?
    I've been running a Renegade for going on two years now and have had absolutely no problems having used it hard in all kinds of nasty conditions. I recently obtained a wheelset for running 29 X 3.0 on one of my fat bikes using a Renegade and it works great.

For some comparison, I have a 29+ bike equipped with a Magnum and it pains me to admit that I have a slight preference for the fat bike set up for 29+. I'm giving the fat bike to my kid (ulterior motive.....he's moving to Anchorage and it'll be waiting for me to use when I visit)

I'd really like to have the justification to buy a Mastodon but since I've been fully satisfied with the performance of the Renegade, it's difficult to justify the purchase when it's more than twice the price. (found @ < $300 shipped on ebay)

If it's a cost effective means for you to get into plus, I'd say go for it.

mtbr member
    I've been running one for a couple weeks or so. I have a bluto that likes to leak air, but the price was right, so I tried the Renegade. The fork has great clearance for width(lower legs are 6" apart), but I was disappointed to find that the Showshoe XXL does not clear the arch at the top. It will turn, but with much resistance. Dropping the pressure to sub 1 psi gets it close, but still some rub. I have to swap to my carbon fork for that tyre, which is a nuisance, but whatevs.

I found that the recommended pressure was way too low for my liking. It suggested 80 psi, I think, but I've been running it at 150. Might drop it down a hair. The rebound adjust works. It was a bit bouncy with minimum rebound setting. Dialed it up all the way and it went away. Ended up somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range. While I don't think the damping is anything special, it runs thru it's travel smoothly, holds air, and gets me some cushion on the fatbike. For the price paid, it's doing it's job. I didn't run them back to back, but believe it's stiffer than the bluto I ran before. The lockout works and is very firm. Almost rigid.

I don't regret it yet, but long term is the real test.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    That particular fork has 100 mm travel.

Here is a 120 mm fork for a little more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RST-Renegad...YhYO:rk:9:pf:0

It's in AUS, so look at the USD amount.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you guys know if the 100mm can be changed to 120mm? I emailed RST with no answer, great sign. hopeing a spacer could be removed to get the 120....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have that fork and actually like it also.... the problem is the company, I emailed them asking where I can get parts to do a lower leg service and no reply. I can't find a service kit being sold anywhere for it. Heard similar experiences from others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anyone obtain RENEGADE parts?

Starting on page 62
    Some parts listed, assume some are Renegade cross compatible?
    (Air Cartridge Upgrade Kit same as OMEGA 29/ AERIAL 29?)

http://rstsuspension.com/images/Cata...-Catalogue.pdf

DAMPER: OCR O-ring kit?
    O-ring kit for 32mm H5GORHGEC0-AM (?)

May or may not be relevant?
    https://youtu.be/VXWqDzcoKEc
    https://youtu.be/kT8weWMu34A
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Whoa, I missed this the first time I read the post (and sorry this is slightly off topic), but a Magnum clears a 27.5x3.8" tire? What setup, would like to hear more about that

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I thought RST made a junk fork in 1997 and offered piss poor customer service. It looks like nothing has changed 22 years later. Iím surprised they are still in business.

mtbr member
    Life is to short to ride rst forks.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a Magnum Comp 27.5+ . It fits the Hodag 27.5x3.8 mounted on a stans Hugo (50mm internal). Works great - and love it from spring to fall - but miss the fatness of my fat bike. Now considering 29+ for spring-fall and fatter setup for winter....

Anyway thanks to those with good comments or experience.

mtbr member
    Can get a renegade off aliexpress for under $300 usd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....