rst fatbike fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mongoose product development

since 4/10/2009
    Looks like this fork will drop the cost of entry into a suspended fatbike by a few hundy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And 1/8 straight steerer tube, nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well hopefully it is less flexy than the RST I have on my FS 29er - It flexes like a wet noodle (I weigh 250#). More flex than my old RS Quadra 5 from the early 90s...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Does it have a decent damper like charger/FIT/RC2 Evo V2? If not it's just a lead anchor.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    My only hope is it will reduce the markup on the bluto....because the bluto is over priced by at least $100 bucks.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So the answer to the question of what can owners of straight tube frames is to make a fork with a thru axle? Sweet!! Odds are if you have one of these older frames you likely dont have a thru axle hub therefore completely washing out any savings over a Bluto.

since 4/10/2009
    my suspicion is that the thru-axle is more necessary on a fat suspension fork than on a fat rigid fork, for keeping things properly aligned.

Knowing how noodly cheap suspension forks are for "skinny" tired mtb's, I don't even want to try to imagine how much MORE noodly a cheap QR fat suspension fork would be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
    So the answer to the question of what can owners of straight tube frames is to make a fork with a thru axle? Sweet!! Odds are if you have one of these older frames you likely dont have a thru axle hub therefore completely washing out any savings over a Bluto.
    I am more excited about this being available in Straight Steerer than cost savings. You have to buy a hub for a Bluto fork also. I imagine both RST and Bluto will use the same hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
    I'm guessing you also don't have a 150 hub, which I assume this is. Would be nice is there was a 135 option out there.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Oh dang. The note about convertible stealth config on their dropper post. Nice touch.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Downcountry AF
    I wish they would just release the fork already so we can get some reviews on it.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    I am more excited about this being available in Straight Steerer than cost savings. You have to buy a hub for a Bluto fork also. I imagine both RST and Bluto will use the same hub.
    Not if you have a Hope, Salsa, or I-9 hub. 135mm hub spacers.hauck spacers | eBay
    Or if you have another brand hub and know a machinist buddy...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I found a machine shop to make a set from drawings a guy in the Farley 6/8 thread posted months ago.

They work fine and cheaper than a new hub/relace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am looking at the Norco 6.2 Fat Bike with the RST Renegade Fork. Concerned about cold weather use with this fork (-10C and below) - Any Feedback?

banned
    Nov 2008
    The RST fork has operated perfectly fine on my Norco 6.2. I'm actually a little surprised how smooth and plush the fork operates. I took mine out during a recent blizzard we had and it didn't miss a beat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanx for the input. I have rented the 6.2 with the RST Renegade shock for the weekend. The Shock is excellent! I thought it was an oil shock, but is air and coil, so not effected by cold temp. Rode yesterday at minus 14C and today at minus 9C and both rides had no issue - Was able to lock out the Shock for some climbs when needed. We had a recent freeze after some rain, so the trails had lots of footprints and ruts - And the shock really smoothed out the ride. So much Fun! I have decided to my the demo bike I am riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    The RST fork has operated perfectly fine on my Norco 6.2. I'm actually a little surprised how smooth and plush the fork operates. I took mine out during a recent blizzard we had and it didn't miss a beat.
    Mine has also been super plush all winter

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

RST Renegade Shock

Thank you for confirming. I have rented a Norco 6.2 Sasquatch with the RST Renegade Shock for the weekend and it has worked great! It is not a oil shock -air and coil so not effected by low temperature. Rode yesterday at -14C and today at -10C and the shock provided a smooth ride over the rutted out parts. Now that I have validated, I will purchase the 6.2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogo View Post
    Thank you for confirming. I have rented a Norco 6.2 Sasquatch with the RST Renegade Shock for the weekend and it has worked great! It is not a oil shock -air and coil so not effected by low temperature. Rode yesterday at -14C and today at -10C and the shock provided a smooth ride over the rutted out parts. Now that I have validated, I will purchase the 6.2.
    Great choice-I love my 6.2.
    Only added dillinger studded 5s for the winter- othrr than that it is the best value out there IMO

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The Renegade is supposed to have adjustable travel: from 80mm to 120mm is this true? If you had a choice between one of these and a Bluto for the same price (used) which would you buy for above freezing riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    Great choice-I love my 6.2.
    Only added dillinger studded 5s for the winter- othrr than that it is the best value out there IMO
    Thanx for the feedback. I rode 30K today on the Jumbo Jims and they seemed fine - a little slippery on the turns and when the trail was off camber. Do you ride the Dillinger Studded 5's all Winter or do you swap depending on conditions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogo View Post
    Thanx for the feedback. I rode 30K today on the Jumbo Jims and they seemed fine - a little slippery on the turns and when the trail was off camber. Do you ride the Dillinger Studded 5's all Winter or do you swap depending on conditions?
    Studs in winter jims in summer

banned
    Nov 2008
    I'm still rolling on my Jumbo Jims and they performed ok in the snow, but I have nothing to compare them to. I might try out a Bud & Lou next winter.....if they fit. Based on the feedback in here I can tell JJ can't touch the BL. Took a ride this weekend on hard packed dirt & big rocks with the JJ and they really perform in the dirt.
    On that note I ordered a set of Maxxis Mammoth 4.0 for Spring/Summer.

mtbr member
    Will 29+ fit in this, anyone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun on Wheels View Post
    Will 29+ fit in this, anyone?
    It fit a 4.8 jumbo jim so i am pretty sure 29+ fits

when i take he ice spikers spikers off my krampus I will confirm

mtbr member
    In here: https://www.bike24.com/p2152755.html they say it has oil in it, not a spring.

mtbr member
    Odd that there's only one review of this fork after a year. It sounds like a great solution for guys with straight headtubes. On the other hand, for $100 more, the bluto saves almost a pound vs the RST if you have a tapered headtube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'll review it. In a word: awesome. I've had it in freezing conditions and it works great. Other forks I've had freeze up in the winter. Not the Renegade. Get one. If you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have 2, a straight steerer on my fat bike bike, and a taper steerer on my wifes. I got them last year. I ran a Surly Bud 4.8 with no clearence problems.
    Some bike shop on Amazon was selling a GDM pro frame and RST Renegade fork for $267.00 last year. A great deal.