mtbr member
    Apr 2011

RSD The Mayor, strange cracking sound

hey i have had my rsd out about 6 times now, a couple of times ago while i had it out i was going up a hill and was peddling down hard and all of a sudden i heard a big crack/ snap sound from what seemed like the rear, had it out a few times after that and then today it started again seemed to happen during take offs and when there is strain like peddling up hill, its a very scary sound when it happenshappened about 4 times today.

any ideas of what could be happening?

bigger than you.
    sounds like your free hub engagement pawls slipping. Not a good sign, but usually not expensive to replace.

aka bOb
    As G said!! I think this was a common problem with some of hubs that came on the earlier completes. I seend it on here somewheres.

mtbr member
    It is probably the hub, but check your chainstays just in case. My buddies Mayor cracked just behind the bb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Check drive side chain stay. I too had a friend with a Mayor that broke right behind the bottom bracket on that side. He said he heard cracking before it broke clean through and couldn't figure it out, then it snapped during a long steep climb in fresh snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks for the replies , ill check it out, would any of those issues be considered under warranty? the bike is only three months old and on a handfull of rides?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My advice would be to make sure your seat rails, seatpost, seatpost clamp, rear dropouts, bottom bracket, and crankset have grease in the proper areas also. You may want to check spoke tension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    it is due for its first maintenance so im going to have them check it over and let them know what is going on

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hope you wont have to wait to long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Check drive side chain stay. I too had a friend with a Mayor that broke right behind the bottom bracket on that side. He said he heard cracking before it broke clean through and couldn't figure it out, then it snapped during a long steep climb in fresh snow.
    My Mayor cracked there as well on a small jump. RSD replaced the frame right away with no hassle. The new frame seems a lil' stiffer in design and i have not had any issues since. I love the bike and look forward to many more rides

mtbr member
    I have recently developed a continuous creaking sound from my Mayors frame. Can't quite identify where it's coming from though. But every pedal stroke it creaks. I'm not large either coming in at a hefty 158lbs.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    I have recently developed a continuous creaking sound from my Mayors frame. Can't quite identify where it's coming from though. But every pedal stroke it creaks. I'm not large either coming in at a hefty 158lbs.
    BB bearings on mine no play but the drive side was bad.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post

so the BB bearings on the drive side were bad? what did you do for a fix?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    just check crank and it is a little loose sounding can't find why. bearing tight and crank tight.

The creaking is actually coming from the headtube area.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    so the BB bearings on the drive side were bad? what did you do for a fix?
    Pulled the bearing and put a new one in.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    sounds like your free hub engagement pawls slipping. Not a good sign, but usually not expensive to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    As G said!! I think this was a common problem with some of hubs that came on the earlier completes. I seend it on here somewheres.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...-946628-3.html
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post

I have a 2014 Mayor and had the exact same thing happen. Its the rear hub driver. The issue is that the rear axle is not stiff enough so when the driver is under high load it actually flexes causing the pawls to be exposed to load unevenly (more on one side of the pawl) and then due to all of the load being on only half of the pawls contacting surface, the pawls chip. Fatlab tried rectifying the issue with upgrading the aluminum axle to a steel one, which helped make the hub last longer but, it still fails eventually (about 20 rides or so). I have has this happen about 5 times and I just keep replacing the pawls. Every time I replace the pawls, the cracking sound does away for a while but, it eventually comes back and acts like the bike is jumping out of gear now and then.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    DA

mtbr member
    Do you have Sun Ringle SRC hubs? If so and you determine that that's where the noise is coming from I recently dealt with a very aggravating pawl issue.....I'll spare you the details and suggestions until they are requested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    Do you have Sun Ringle SRC hubs? If so and you determine that that's where the noise is coming from I recently dealt with a very aggravating pawl issue.....I'll spare you the details and suggestions until they are requested.

No I have the Fat Lab hubs. I figured the newer 2015/2016 bikes with the 12mm through axle would have helped flexing issues on the back end but, from what you say my assumption may not be correct. Were you having the same issues with the Sun Ringle SRC hubs? From what I have been told by a bike shop that use to sell the Mayors is that the Hope or DT Swiss hubs seem to be the best upgrade second to the Onyx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devinthrillseeker View Post
    No I have the Fat Lab hubs. I figured the newer 2015/2016 bikes with the 12mm through axle would have helped flexing issues on the back end but, from what you say my assumption may not be correct. Were you having the same issues with the Sun Ringle SRC hubs? From what I have been told by a bike shop that use to sell the Mayors is that the Hope or DT Swiss hubs seem to be the best upgrade second to the Onyx.
    Tho I was really hoping to have someone to share my miseries with, it doesn't sound like we are having the a same issues.

I had a virtually brand new rear hub develop a klunk. Started out very subtle and got progressively worse. After multiple tries, I'm not sure what was causing the issue as the pawls, spring and ring all looked perfectly normal. Hayes makes a modified pawl set that I've installed and it's all better now (fingers crossed)

On a positive note, I've become an expert at disassembling/ assembling Sun Ringle hubs.