RSD Bikes "The Mayor" - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 1826
    Rippin da fAt
    Here's a Jeepin report from today's antics on a fresh build.

Took the Mayor down along the river to give him the shakedown. The area is littered with river rock from potato sized to the size of basketballs and larger. The good news is not one pedal strike occurred while I was jeepin the rock garden. Riding over the random sized rocks was made easy by the surefooted Bud/Lou at 5 psi. Not too flat but mass quantities of traction and never slipped on the slick polished rocks. With all that traction pedaling over the rocks was a pleasure. the rigidity of the frame and fork kept a line in order and gave a comfortable feel and lent to confidence in the bike. The geometry makes for a very capable bike and ride. Pedaling over the rocks with the low gearing makes it an easy go that is fun and will challenge a rider to work on their balance. The only issue anyone might find with the Mayor is the Q is quite wide so might not be the bike for the Q sensitive rider. I also noticed a major feature, the Mayor doesn't feel like a wet noodle out on the river rocks. The absence of frame flex is very reassuring and points out the sturdy frame will be riding for years to come I'm very happy with my Mayor!

Now to keep an eye out for a pair of 2XL's for next winter. Mmm extra fat!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    ....The only issue anyone might find with the Mayor is the Q is quite wide so might not be the bike for the Q sensitive rider.......
    It comes with the rf turbine cinch on a 189,5mm spindle right? If so that's a crazy 233mm q
    It has a 100mm BSA, so perhaps you can run the 169,5mm spindle with flipped chain wheel? It'll shave off 20mm on the q factor and take you down to 213mm q

What is the measurements of the outside width of the chainstay where the crank arms clear the frame?
    The turbines (not next sl) on a bike can have up to 175mm outer width on the frame where the crank arms pass to give clearence on a 170mm spindle, as long as the frame is stiff enough.

edit:
    solved: got pics in another thread, the rf turbine cranks with the "short" spindle with flipped chainwheel combo can not be applied to the alu version of the rsd mayor. Smallest acheivable q is 223mm if running rf next sl cranks.
    Last edited by Andy81; 07-18-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Trying to be helpful
    @BansheeRune sounds like a nice solid outing. I can't wait to get mine in some real dirt soon.

I finally converted by Mulefuts (Mulefeets???) to tubeless this weekend. Breaking the bead was a PITA for sure, easiest method I found was to use an old flat blade screwdriver that I dulled the edges & rounded off, along with a plastic tire lever. I pried the bead carefully away from the rim wall, then slipped the tire lever under and slipped it off. Not that bad really, compared to some of the horror stories you read, but still not going to happen just with your hands on this rim. After that swapped tubes (Maxxis fatbike) for valves stems, aired them up, then injected 8oz Stan's in each tire. First tire aired up fine using Co2 and pump, 2nd one had to go to gas station for compressor. Since sat afternoon both have been solid. Lost about 2lbs +/- of rotational weight, each tube is somewhere around 430grams.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-18-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    *thinking in print*

Guy, we need to have a Mayors only party somewhere and see how many Mayors come outta the wood work! That would actually be kinda fun to meet, greet and ride fat ending up with some good smokey BBQ following and another ride to burn off all that delicious BBQ...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    You guys make me jealous to say the least!😝 I want a Mayor sooooo bad. From what I have read so far, these fatties from "north of the border" are truly a gem.

Bansheerune: cmon bro post us some more pics when you get a chance😀

Until later
    Oldbear
    Old bear says: REMEMBER TO USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

Rippin da fAt
    Gotta find someone to lug the camera and do that calling... Coming soon, needless to say. The Mayor and Sarge are jonesin to go out and play.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have the Mayor (2015 version) with the 32T chainring (like this one:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5036-5...29-Narrow-Wide).

I'm wanting to swap the chainring to a 28t, however the only one I could find for a 28t is from Raceface is the "direct mount" version (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-0...ount-Chainring).
    Does anyone know if this is an easy swap?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by webmonkey8 View Post

I'm wanting to swap the chainring to a 28t, however the only one I could find for a 28t is from Raceface is the "direct mount" version (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-0...ount-Chainring).
    What crank are you dealing with?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Race Face Turbine 175mm Crank.

What crank are you dealing with?

Nor­wegr
    If it's a cinch turbine it takes a few minutes to swap out. You just use an old bb tool to remove the collar, lift up the old chainring/spider, drop in the new and secure the collar again.

If it's a non-cinch crankset you can't use a directmount chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Rippin da fAt
    104x4 and you are dead in the water. If it has a removeable spider it supports DM.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Mayor spotted on local singletrack...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0398.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Mayor spotted on local singletrack...
    that fuggah is holdin up all dem posts!!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    that fuggah is holdin up all dem posts!!
    Not my fault you took the camera away from Punkin...
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Not my fault you took the camera away from Punkin...
    you gotz some reading material pilgrim.

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...n-1017995.html

Rippin da fAt

With a removable spider the DM is an easy change. Takes less than 5 minutes. There is a lockring on the back side of the spider that requires the use of a ISIS BB tool. Pretty straight forward to gitter dun. 104 does not provide for rings smaller than 30t.
    Doctor recommended...

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Everything is so pumpkin colored now adays.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Rippin da fAt
    nvphatty started it! Mmmm orange crush...
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Everything is so pumpkin colored now adays.
    nvphatty started it! Mmmm orange crush...
    becomes habit formin doncha know.

Rippin da fAt
    Hehe
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ok, thanks for the info, BansheeRune!

With a removable spider the DM is an easy change. Takes less than 5 minutes. There is a lockring on the back side of the spider that requires the use of a ISIS BB tool. Pretty straight forward to gitter dun. 104 does not provide for rings smaller than 30t.

Rippin da fAt
    Ok, thanks for the info, BansheeRune!
    Hope that helps...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Your crank is a spiderless version. That is correct, 30T is the smallest you can get in the 104BCD NW. That being said, the crank is a 2x, but set-up as a 1x. You could easily get a 64BCD ring to bolt on in the inside. That means that you will also need a bash guard of some sort to put on the outside (104BCD). This way you can go as small as 22T or 24T if you want. The only thing is that i don't know if these are Narrow Wide. might want to look into it.

RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    Instagram - facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I know that this might seem a bit dumb, but I am a crusty old bear that just rides for the fun and health of it. My question is I always hear about this "Q factor". Could someone please explain it to me in simple terms?

Thanks
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olbear6252 View Post
    I know that this might seem a bit dumb, but I am a crusty old bear that just rides for the fun and health of it. My question is I always hear about this "Q factor". Could someone please explain it to me in simple terms?

Thanks
    Oldbear
    The distance between your pedals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's the distance between the two pedals. On a fat, your feets are wider apart than on a regular bike, so, some rider have problem with knees...

Rippin da fAt
    Distance between pedals... This determines the rider stance width on the bike. Some peeps are sensitive to the wide stance (Q-factor) of the big tire fatbikes and don't care for it
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    [QUOTE=BansheeRune;12744174]Distance between pedals... This determines the rider stance width on the bike. Some peeps are sensitive to the wide stance (Q-factor) of the big tire fatbikes and don't care for it[/QUOTE
    Thanks for all your responses. They help me a lot. I never ha e had a problem on any bike with "Q factor". Be it road, mtn, or Fatty it never bothered me at all. Annnnd my fatty had never given me any problems with pedal strike.
    That being said come December I plan on ordering a Mayor with the build 1 kit. I have grown really fond of the orange color. I'm at planning on naming it Sheamus after another wwe wrestler. 😝
    Wade you are the one who has me sold on it‼️‼️
    So to all on here let me say that you always make happy when I read your posts. Keep it up‼️‼️
    Until later
    Oldbear 🐻

nvphatty
    orange you happy now?

Trying to be helpful
    Word to the wise - check all your bolts on your Mayors. My Mayor started developing a creak around the crank area about a week ago seemed to be on the driveside, pulled most everything apart, regreased everything. Thought that fixed it, but no came back part way through my ride. Checked everything again, found my Oval ring was loose, tightened it back up, rode again fine a first then noise came back. Decided to check every friggen bolt and interface, found the NDS bolt was loose and my Cinch preload collar stripped out.

Long story short, check all bolts to make sure they are tight. I never checked the NSD bolt, figuring it would've been tightened when the shop build the bike, but it somehow was not. Now to try and find a new preload collar, fingers crossed RF might be able to send me one (emailed), since all shops appear to be out of stock. So for now the Mayor is out of commish.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

Rippin da fAt
    Guy, sorry to hear that. Perfect example as to why I insist that I do all my own builds. There are no mech's in these parts that meet or exceed the requirements set forth by BikeSmith Racing. Go figure!

Universalcycles.com has your part in stock...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-screen-shot-2016-07-23-7.19.52-pm.jpg
    Guy, sorry to hear that. Perfect example as to why I insist that I do all my own builds. There are no mech's in these parts that meet or exceed the requirements set forth by BikeSmith Racing. Go figure!

Universalcycles.com has your part in stock...
    Sadly I wish that were true, I don't believe we are thinking of the same part

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=77877
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 7.19.52 PM.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	1083798

Sadly I wish that were true, I don't believe we are thinking of the same part

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=77877
    Last I checked on these they were back ordered for quite a while.. Call RF Monday. If you find them get 2-3 of them. You'll probably need them later.

@tgi_cycling

Rippin da fAt
    A $4 part and Pfft! Now I need to check mine to see if they are nylon or otherwise... What a fvcked story!
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Last I checked on these they were back ordered for quite a while.. Call RF Monday. If you find them get 2-3 of them. You'll probably need them later.
    Yeah I emailed them, but will def call also Monday thanks, def going to try to get 3 if possible. Thanks for the heads up.

In the mean time I'm trying to track down an Aluminum version. Apparently RF originally had Alu but then swapped to Nylon for some reason. If you know anyone with an Alu one let me know, I'm willing to pay a very, very decent price.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Yeah I emailed them, but will def call also Monday thanks, def going to try to get 3 if possible. Thanks for the heads up.

In the mean time I'm trying to track down an Aluminum version. Apparently RF originally had Alu but then swapped to Nylon for some reason. If you know anyone with an Alu one let me know, I'm willing to pay a very, very decent price.
    Checked both bikes, The Mayor has a shytty plastic one and Sarge as an aluminum one.
    No surprise form a company that loves the Walmart bike name their parts. Thankfully no parts on any of my bikes or will have "Next" printed on em. I find it repulsive.
    On the lockring side of things, I'll be looking for some of em. On second thought, I need to visit a machine shop and have some made properly to avoid China designs form screwing up a part so simple as a lockring.

I find this part of an otherwise good product but the preload ring being nylon is inferior and unacceptable.
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 07-23-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    I sent an email to Alex at RSD also, to inquire if maybe he might have an Alu one. Fingers crossed he does, hopefully my offer for payment will be successful.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Let's hope so...
    Doctor recommended...

Nor­wegr
    Race Face swapped to the composite collar because of wear and creaking issues with the aluminium collar. Or atleast that's what they are telling people, I have never had issues with mine.

I have a source for the alu ones, but shipping from Norway won't exactly be cheap if any of you want one.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Race Face swapped to the composite collar because of wear and creaking issues with the aluminium collar. Or atleast that's what they are telling people, I have never had issues with mine.

I have a source for the alu ones, but shipping from Norway won't exactly be cheap if any of you want one.
    PM me!

The truth of the matter is that a nylon piece is around 25 cents and the aluminum piece is about 1.50. when you consider those numbers based on 100k units... It brings the margin up significantly! When they chose to print the Walmart brand name on their products, well, corporate BS and lowering the quality of one of the components that makes an otherwise good product, it can soil the name of the manufacturer and cost far more than their little savings game would have netted. RaceFace and all the others that began in the quest to make groovier components have to work hard at doing the task at hand and remember how they received the reputation. Reputation can be destroyed with one seemingly harmless decision. Regaining that reputation, that is another story. Rebuilding trust! Think of how VW messed things up with their emissions cheat and how damaging it has been to the reputation of the company. Endgame expense has crushed any windfall they had projected by a large factor.

The whole noise issue is a wonderful excuse...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post

Yeah I found one place online overseas, I believe the whole deal with shipping was over $100, not sure if it's the same. I'd be interested in checking it out, I'll pm you for more details. Thanks.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    If you guys find someone that requires bulk purchase let me know. I might be able to do something to help. Or if you know the specs I can check a few resources for an alternative.

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    With my current situation, I would be hard pressed to do a repair like that. But, I still am getting a Mayor. 'Cuz once my wife Sue, (aka Mama Bear) beget everything straightened out, we are moving west near ol Bansheerune. Hopefully the I will get help with mechanical probs.😃 But that being said just how many folks are having this problem? Just would like to know.
    Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    All it takes to mess one up is to forget to lock it down or over tighten the set screw. The other issue is a crank arm to loosen up and go unnoticed for a few miles and that'll do it too...

EBG, I'm trying to get the proper diameter and pitch sorted so I can have some made... After all, our bikes deserve the grooviest bits, don't they ...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful

Cinch Preload Collar - Update

Spoke with RSD, they have no extra's nylon or aluminum, supposedly they ordered some nylon ones from RaceFace. However it may be a while before they have any, if my recent conversations with RF are any indication they are out of stock and it maybe a month before they have any.

RF no longer mfg or stocks any Alu collars, the only options are overseas. Seems Norway has a lot of them, if online shops are any indication quite a few have stock. However pricing is quite high considering, will cost $50+/- to have one purchased and shipped to the US.

On that note, luckily for me I have some resourceful friends and one of them was able to find me an Aluminum collar here in the US at a shop near where he lives. Now all I need to do is order up my RWC 30mm bottom bracket and get this whole crapshoot fixed up.

As BansheeRune said, be sure to check all, and I mean all, bolt and such holding your RF Turbine cranks together, otherwise very shitty things can happen. Though I believe my BB was going to crap out anyhow, it didn't help that because of a loose NDS bolt, my preload collar got stripped and didn't help matters causing much more rapid failure rate in the BB.

Since there are no issues with the RF cups, I plan to keep those and will eventually swap out the bearings for some RWC bearings in the future as a spare for my new RWC BB. I'm also going to purchase some 30mm spindle spacers so if the new collar somehow takes a shit, I can uses the spindle spacer to preload the BB and make up the space on the crank axle. Anyhow that's the long and longer of it all. Will post up some pics when parts arrive and the Mayor (aka Amber) is back together.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I guess I need to get my glasses fixed. RSD says that the sale on the Mayor ends on the 31st. What will be the price of a 2016 Mayor come December? I really want one, but, currently my finances aren't that God and I have to save for one. Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear needs to save up 1700 smackers...
    Doctor recommended...

Nor­wegr

RF no longer mfg or stocks any Alu collars, the only options are overseas. Seems Norway has a lot of them, if online shops are any indication quite a few have stock. However pricing is quite high considering, will cost $50+/- to have one purchased and shipped to the US.
    I tried ordering one from a link you sent, but I suspect they're the nylon ones because they cost way less than on the site I found. ($3.50 vs $30)

I used to play alot of paintball and had custom parts made from time to time, having the collar replicated shouldn't cost too much from a competent machinist.

Rippin da fAt
    BB30 spacers will eliminate the collar.
    Doctor recommended...

Nor­wegr
    Yep that works too, did it a few years ago on a xx1 crank that had the same style of collar, all be it a sturdier one.

Rippin da fAt
    RaceFace needs to maintain quality and not compromise it. Trust is very difficult to regain after quality goes down and word on the street reflects it. Just to let RaceFace know, I will be looking closely at options if they wanna lower their standards to below that of the big two.
    Not the best choice on their part to go Walmart...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    BB30 spacers will eliminate the collar.
    That is my plan if the collar takes a crap again, I bought me a bag of spindle spacers to use in conjuction with the craptastic collar.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Henry at WrenchScience stated that he backs the collar off completely and uses the spacers. Hmm, just remove the collar and use the spacers comes to mind. As i read some time back, RaceFace and Easton were acquired by Fox and Fox was in the process of sending their bike suspension overseas from Cali. It's all about the margin for this stuff Quality needs to be compromised so the fat cats can get even fatter!

So, with that said, how many jobs, good paying jobs were eliminated in the US and Canadia for this to work? Once again, those good quality career jobs thrown to the wind so the people that buy this stuff can be unable to because jobs that are worth a shyt are no longer and they'll bytch about slumping sales now that they chose to join the ranks of job killers. Pfft! no wonder we are no longer a producer country and just a consumer country.
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    Henry at WrenchScience stated that he backs the collar off completely and uses the spacers. Hmm, just remove the collar and use the spacers comes to mind. As i read some time back, RaceFace and Easton were acquired by Fox and Fox was in the process of sending their bike suspension overseas from Cali. It's all about the margin for this stuff Quality needs to be compromised so the fat cats can get even fatter!

So, with that said, how many jobs, good paying jobs were eliminated in the US and Canadia for this to work? Once again, those good quality career jobs thrown to the wind so the people that buy this stuff can be unable to because jobs that are worth a shyt are no longer and they'll bytch about slumping sales now that they chose to join the ranks of job killers. Pfft! no wonder we are no longer a producer country and just a consumer country.
    I had the same thought about removing the collar all together, however the threaded part that the collar threads onto, causes issues with spacing. My thought was to just thread the collar all the way back against the crank arm and then use spacers between that and the bearings to preload.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    That may be the case. Perhaps we can't chuck that POS in the rubbish where it belongs... :/
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    So finally got (almost) all the parts needed to repair the Mayor. Park Tool BBT-79, RWC External Cup BB30 bottom bracket and extra spindle spacers (jic). Still have yet to receive my new alu RF preload collar, but I can proceed without it and use the spindle spacers instead.

One thing I thought might be helpful to anyone else looking to purchase the RWC bottom bracket, is what all comes in the box, as there is nothing on the site that I could find that explained what you get exactly (hence the reason I bought extra spindle spacers).

So in the picture you will see the following:

x1 - RWC 30mm External bottom bracket (blue cups, because blue is 10% faster than black)
    x3 - bottom bracket spacers
    x1 - wavy washer
    x2 - 30 x 1mm spindle spacer (alu)
    x1 - 30 x 2.5mm spindle spacer (alu)
    x1 - 30 x 5mm spindle spacer (alu)

extras: x1 - RWC small decal and x1 - RWC large decal

Hopefully this resolves any further issues with squeaking and bottom bracket noise.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-20160803_142748.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey did you guys notice mountain bike action magazine has the mayor on the cover this month, might pick up one later.

Also got my tubeless done, getting alot of riding in surprised how well it handles in the sand(still strange feeling being able to control a bike in loose sand)

Rippin da fAt
    Guy, now that you're back on the road again, well perhaps! Get your arse out there and rip it up!

Rob_bike, it's only appropriate as the Mayor is a mountainbike that can wear 5.05's!
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    @BansheeRune Just finished installing the new BB and took her out for a quick spin, nary a peep out of her thus far. Real test will be tomorrows hills.

A note regarding the install with the RWC BB as it pertains to my Mayor. Installed bb spacers per usual, 2 on driveside and 1 on nds. However to rid myself of using the RF preload ring, I left it installed but backed off all the way to the crank arm, then tightened down the 2mm screw and left it. To preload the bearings I installed 1-2.5mm & 1-1mm spindle spacer between the preload ring and the large tapered spacer that is provided on the Turbine cranks. Pic to follow.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-bottom-bracket.jpg

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Amazing what a fresh tampon will do!

Good to hear that you're back in the groove! RaceFace has to get back to their roots, indeed.
    I'm gonna be checking the silly plastic thingy routinely. In the interim, I'll get the spacers ordered up so hopefully less down time.
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_bike View Post
    Hey did you guys notice mountain bike action magazine has the mayor on the cover this month, might pick up one later.

Also got my tubeless done, getting alot of riding in surprised how well it handles in the sand(still strange feeling being able to control a bike in loose sand)
    Yeah RSD had it posted on their FB page a few weeks back, been on the look out since, havent seen it in the wild yet. Can't wait to read what they have to say, albeit with a grain of salt.

Congrats on the tubeless conversion, it's seriously a game changer, the ride is so much better.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

nvphatty
    you don't say!!

Trying to be helpful

Good to hear that you're back in the groove! RaceFace has to get back to their roots, indeed.
    I'm gonna be checking the silly plastic thingy routinely. In the interim, I'll get the spacers ordered up so hopefully less down time.
    That RF bb was definitely annoying like a tampon. :crazyeyes:

I would suggest if your going to order the spacers, order the RWC ones as they are Aluminum. The WheelsMfg ones are delrin, while not bad, I just perfer alu.

BOTTOM BRACKET SPACERS FROM RWC

1x - 2.5mm & 1x - 1.0mm
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful

MBAction RSD Mayor review

For anyone who is interested here is the article from MBAction.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-mayor_page_1.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-mayor_page_2.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-mayor_page_3.jpg

Also here is a link to PDF format

MBAction RSD Mayor Review; PDF format for download
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks for the link, Guy! Good stuff, indeed...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just want to chime in that I can never say enough about Alex and RSD. Their after-care is second to none. Alex is readily reachable and responds to any issues one has with his products. Great guy and great company. Great bikes too

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedoc98 View Post
    Just want to chime in that I can never say enough about Alex and RSD. Their after-care is second to none. Alex is readily reachable and responds to any issues one has with his products. Great guy and great company. Great bikes too
    Alex is one of a kind out there. I have dealt with him on both the Sergeant and the Mayor. For Alex to go out of his way to make arrangements for a shop 90 miles from me to receive the Sergeant and hook me up with a test ride, on a Saturday, no less, great job on both Alex and the bike shop. All of this was done on a Saturday within less than a hour of my initial email to RSD. Since then I have directed many people to RSD that went forward with a purchase as well as a nearby bike shop that has Taken a dealership with RSD after the shop manager and owner had a look and ride with both Sarge and Mr. Mayor. The client care and service provided by RSD is second to none, hands down! How many other companies offer a lifetime warrantee these days? RSD, that'e who...

Can never have too many RSD's! Now for a Wildcat, hmm full squish low fat bike kinda has a nice ring to it...

Thanks for chiming in, bonedoc!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The wife now has her own mayor, 2015 with x9 , bluto and tubeless already. She is absolutely in love with this bike. It came with some upgrades due to part availability. 4 Bolt turbine 30t instead of affect series and carbon seat post. My build 1 seems subpar now. 
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-resized_20160802_202944.jpg
    Guess I owe myself some upgrades.

mtbr member
    well....last winter I took the 2016 mayor for a ride around a lbs showroom and instantly knew I would not be satisfied until I had one of my own. I spent last winter riding my frainkenbike (see picture, think assorted leftover random bike parts) with its 2.1 schwalbe ice spikers. I loved riding in the winter but the frainkenbike would poop its pants on anything other than hard packed snow or ice, no float just %100 dig. well enough is enough there is a Mayor sitting in a showroom waiting for me and tomorrow it will be mine!RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb13141729.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Welcome to the Mayor club!

Gratz!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

We the people ...

Thanks BansheeRune, happy to join the club!
    I picked up the 1x10 mayor with carbon fork today. I got the raw color in a size medium. I'm 6' and like the fit of the medium, big enough that the seats not jacked way up and small enough to have fun on. first impressions are that this bike feels solid in a very good way, it feels planted yet easy to bunny hop and it is so easy to balance. I am happy with the build overall but I think I will be putting my hope brakes on it for a lot more stopping power, the bb7s don't quite offer enough of what I'm looking for in the braking department. So far I'm impressed and I get the feeling I'm going to have a lot of fun with the mayor!

Rippin da fAt
    Trials,

I have the large and gotta say, it's the most playful and fun fatty I've had the honor to ride. While the C/S length is fairly long, the BB height more than overcomes that. The Mayor saved a mass of coin over the prospect of a custom. Having the Sergeant as well is what made my choice much easier. Over all, the geometry is a blessing, indeed. I have found that many fatbikes feel like a bastardized road bike and are poor performers for my riding style. For those that think that a fatty isn't a summer bike, I'll agree to disagree with em since my Mayor is a pleasure to ride, any time, any place. I am also not interested is a + wheelset for the Mayor cause I bought a fatbike to ride a fatbike. + is what Sarge is and there are days that it's a difficult choice as to which to ride. Am I hooked, you bet your a$$ I am!! Simply put, I can't get enough of either the Mayor or Sarge. The KOXX Red Sky is the other bike that gets alotta attention. Gotta keep the trials skillz up, ya know! Full fat, low fat, it's all good!
    I keep thinking about organizing a get-together weekend for Mayor owners to hang out and ride and have a good time. You will really enjoy the Mayor. Nicely appointed bikes outta the box, no?

Quote Originally Posted by trials4evr View Post
    Thanks BansheeRune, happy to join the club!
    I picked up the 1x10 mayor with carbon fork today. I got the raw color in a size medium. I'm 6' and like the fit of the medium, big enough that the seats not jacked way up and small enough to have fun on. first impressions are that this bike feels solid in a very good way, it feels planted yet easy to bunny hop and it is so easy to balance. I am happy with the build overall but I think I will be putting my hope brakes on it for a lot more stopping power, the bb7s don't quite offer enough of what I'm looking for in the braking department. So far I'm impressed and I get the feeling I'm going to have a lot of fun with the mayor!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Got the mayor all set up the way I want it for now, Im running the BB7s until i can get the Hopes bled and so far the BB7s are'nt too shabby with the Hope rotors. i swapped the stem to a 50mm Straitline, bars to carbon Deity Mohawks, pedals to Deity skyscrapers and swapped out the seat as well.

first impressions on the trails are holy crap, GRIP! and this bike is FUN!
    this is my first fat bike and the only experience I've had on one to date was a quick 2 min ride on a friends bike. I have to say I"m not really sure what I was expecting but this bike truly does it all, I blasted down some single track today that I frequent on my full suspension expecting to get the crap shaken out of me but instead the Mayor just flew over it and I really felt like I was riding a suspended bike...insane! the bike feels comfortable straight away fat tires ride different but its a good different, I was expecting to feel weighed down by them and sluggish but instead the bike feels lively and playful, on this thing you put the hammer down and it goes!

I feel bad for my other bikes...they are going to get lonely RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb13852958.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb13852957.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb13852959.jpg
    Last edited by trials4evr; 02-16-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Trying to be helpful
    @trials4evr - super stoked to hear your review of the Mayor, it definitely echos my feeling first time I rode mine for the first time, esp about the tires. The Minions roll way quicker than I had anticipated for such a large tire. Which definitely lends the a very playful ride, something else I did not anticipate for a fat bike. Can't wait to here & see more about your adventures aboard the Mayor, keep the stoke.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    What Mr. Ford said!! The mayor is a performance bike all the way!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oops... I noticed a wobble on the rear tire the rim was straight but it looked like the bead of the tire wasn't fully seated on one side. On a regular mtb I would just pump the tire up to 60psi and the bead snaps into place then I deflate to my preferred pressure. In theory I thought that would work on my fat bike too. The tire says 20 psi on it so I pumped the tire to 20psi and the bead still wasn't seating.... So I proceed to pump passed 20, getting closer to 23 and pop! The bead popped right up over the rim and pop goes the tube, bang! That was loud! So it looks like I will be going tubeless sooner than expected. It's handy that the rims come pre-taped for tubeless... Time to fire up the compressor. RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb13855718.jpg
    Last edited by trials4evr; 08-23-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    They do! You need to soap up the beads to seat em on some tires/rims. My RD's seat at 6-8 psi with all of my tires. Be it JJ, Bud'Lou or the D5's.
    I tried the tubeless thing and found it to be more work that it was worth to remove the scum form the tires to keep their supple feel to other issues that required too much maintenance. The continued attention was not worth the effort. When I went back to my Surly Lites there has been zero issue with keeping my tires feeling consistent and no patches on either tube. There's nothing worse that ending up with tires feeling like they have thornproof 5" tubes in em and weigh in like it too. In three years of riding fat nearly daily, I have hand no flats.

Use some windex or dish soap diluted. I use armorall and after they have been in use a while, it's no longer necessary to lube up, as the beads do stretch slightly.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It turns out that there is a defect with the fbr and the bead on the disk side is way too loose that's why it blew off the rim and popped the tube. I talked to the shop I got the mayor from and they agreed that the tire is defective, I should have a new tire tomorrow. I got the front tire set up tubeless with no issues and it was a breeze, I've been running tubeless on my all mountain bike for two seasons now with no issues, I just replenish the sealant every now and then and haven't had any headaches or flats other than when a nail ripped the sidewall out on the trail. I'll be happy to get back out on the mayor it was a tease to only get one ride in before this mess.RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb13859870.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    It doesn't take much to snap a kevlar bead sometimes. I've seen it occasionally over the years. Get that tire tomorrow and go out and have fun
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

New to the Mayor

I picked up The Mayor last week, took it to the mountains (Mogollon Rim) out here in AZ and barely got to ride it. All my buddies rode it at least twice over two days--apparently it's: "awesome dude" "wicked" "bad @$$" etc. I did get to ride it once and it was all that and a bag of chips.

The service I got from Alex and the quality of the bike make me very happy I bought it.

I'll post pics from the wild when I get to ride it more next week but here is the bike loaded on my rig ready to head to the mountains.

Zona
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_5879-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice zona! Looks good on the kuat rack. Your friends are right the mayor is an awesome, wicked bad a$$ bike! I'm new here too but welcome to the mayor club!

Rippin da fAt
    Zona, Alex is the best! The Mayor won't cut short of a great time! The geometry is spot on for fun ride sessions. No more sluggish, poor handling characteristics that come from the bastardization of a road frame to accept 5.05's. The Mayor is a mountain bike on fat tires, period. The performance shows in every ride. While it might be limited on the size of a frame bag, I wouldn't want for a larger frame bag at the cost of performance. You, my friend are in for sweet surprises in fatbike adventures ahead.

Oh yeah, Gratz Dood!

On another note, ordered up the 5.05's yesterday! Mmmm Fat never tasted so good!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You know, Banshee, as a degreed and certified Health Educator, I feel obligated to inform you: all of that fat could kill you...if you were lucky!

Trying to be helpful
    Congrats zona1 welcome to the family. Can't wait to see and read more about your adventures on the Mayor.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    You know, Banshee, as a degreed and certified Health Educator, I feel obligated to inform you: all of that fat could kill you...if you were lucky!
    That's the fat the cardiologist approves of!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the kind words brochachos'. I'll look forward to your pic's and comments.

Zona

mtbr member

Hello there

Yesterday was my first outing on the Mayor. What a beauty of a machine!

West Bragg Creek, Alberta

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-rsd.jpg

mtbr member
    Dhugal the mayor looks in its element with that kind of scenery, looks like an awesome place to ride, I'm thinking there's quite a few fellow Albertans with mayors it's great to support a Canadian bike company!

mtbr member
    Dhugal the mayor looks in its element with that kind of scenery, looks like an awesome place to ride, I'm thinking there's quite a few fellow Albertans with mayors it's great to support a Canadian bike company!
    It certainly is a fantastic place to ride. Are you in Alberta yourself?

mtbr member
    Yup Red Deer, even though I'm not too far from Bragg creek I've never ridden there. From all I've seen I definitely should make a point to go there though. Every time I see anything about Bragg It always looks like good riding.

Rippin da fAt
    Welcome to the fAt side, Dhugal! That Mayor will bring good times to life, indeed.

Having both the Sergeant and the Mayor makes it difficult to choose which is goin riding! Worth it, all the same!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice shot. I was in Calgary for a few days last Summer and managed to squeeze a ride at West Bragg Creek. It was stellar. I think i did the Merlin loop. Can't wait to go back and ride more of it.
    Instagram - facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have what might be a newbie question that may sound dumb. Here it goes bro's. I measured the tire diameter and it's 30". Isn't this the true size of the tire? Yet, I read it was a 27.5" tire. I'm not complaining in the slightest but I have no idea how to calculate the tire size.

Zona

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zona1 View Post
    I have what might be a newbie question that may sound dumb. Here it goes bro's. I measured the tire diameter and it's 30". Isn't this the true size of the tire? Yet, I read it was a 27.5" tire. I'm not complaining in the slightest but I have no idea how to calculate the tire size.

Zona
    Generally 26" fat bikes have a tire diameter usually between 29-31" from what I've read online from reviews and riders.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thank you,

Zona

Rippin da fAt
    The 5.05's have arrived! Man, do they fill the rear end of the Mayor. They have some considerable rolling resistance on packed and solid surfaces. The whole idea of the 5.05's is loose terrain such as sugar sand and snow. Definitely not the tire choice for daily driving but they are stupid fat and kinda remind me of going from 4.0 to 4.8. The size difference and the massive air volume is astonishing. Riding at 4 psi with a 5.05 is similar to riding 6 psi with my JJ 4.8's. Later today I will go out and try em out and play with the pressure to see how well they are in the sugar. Should be fun to horse around in the sand with em.
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    dunno bout fillin the rear end of the mayor but playin in the sand box is for cats, you do have one of them yes??

mtbr member
    BansheeRune, Sugar? Where do you live, Candyland? Lol! With the 4.8s the mayor seems like a monster truck you must feel like you could ride over absolutely anything with the 5.05s! With a tire that wide the mayor probably stands up on its own on pavement. You are going to have to take and share some pics of the monster mayor!

nvphatty
    ^^haha candyland colorado.

Trying to be helpful
    The 5.05's have arrived! Man, do they fill the rear end of the Mayor. They have some considerable rolling resistance on packed and solid surfaces. The whole idea of the 5.05's is loose terrain such as sugar sand and snow. Definitely not the tire choice for daily driving but they are stupid fat and kinda remind me of going from 4.0 to 4.8. The size difference and the massive air volume is astonishing. Riding at 4 psi with a 5.05 is similar to riding 6 psi with my JJ 4.8's. Later today I will go out and try em out and play with the pressure to see how well they are in the sugar. Should be fun to horse around in the sand with em.

Duuuuude! Pics or it didn't happen, especially focus on the rear clearance Im very curious how close the fit is, esp if you wouldn't mind pumping them up to 15 psi to give a good compare. Stoked for you man those sound fun, might be my next playtime purchase.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    dunno bout fillin the rear end of the mayor but playin in the sand box is for cats, you do have one of them yes??
    -_- Kinda shytty, phatty! lol

BansheeRune, Sugar? Where do you live, Candyland? Lol! With the 4.8s the mayor seems like a monster truck you must feel like you could ride over absolutely anything with the 5.05s! With a tire that wide the mayor probably stands up on its own on pavement. You are going to have to take and share some pics of the monster mayor!
    Werd! Those tires are absurdly fun! Cuts the fuel economy to 3 miles per sammich, tho.
    Doctor recommended...

Nor­wegr
    especially focus on the rear clearance Im very curious how close the fit is.
    Here's some photos that's been out for a bit:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/_LOP06IqKW/

Rippin da fAt
    Duuuuude! Pics or it didn't happen, especially focus on the rear clearance Im very curious how close the fit is, esp if you wouldn't mind pumping them up to 15 psi to give a good compare. Stoked for you man those sound fun, might be my next playtime purchase.
    There's absolutely no reason to take the pressure beyond 8 psi in these cause tungsten would be softer...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    There's absolutely no reason to take the pressure beyond 8 psi in these cause tungsten would be softer...
    I chose that PSI just for the stretch to see how close the tire is too the stays at higher pressure, agreed never ride that high.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    Thanks appreciated, I'm just curious to see photos from an actual production frame from actual owner.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    The first couple images show that the 5.05 is close in the rear. 7mm clearance is good enough for riding on snow. Should be hella fun this winter to ride on these fatass tires. Definitely not the daily driver treads with all that weight and rolling resistance.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0456.jpg
    Lard

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0458.jpg
    More lard...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0466.jpg
    double lard!
    Out trying out 5.05's for a short ride. Fun, yes! Slow, yes! They'll make ya strong as an ox if ya ride em daily.

Back to the JJ's for the fuel economy.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dang that's a lot of rubber! Looks quite good on the mayor, ready to handle anything... Except pavement I guess lol. How much weight do they add?

Trying to be helpful
    @BansheeRune those look epic, might have to add a set of these to my wish list, I can see great uses (other than snow) for these tires. Thanks for the awesome pics. Good talking to you brother.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

nvphatty
    Dems 44DD's

Rippin da fAt
    Dang that's a lot of rubber! Looks quite good on the mayor, ready to handle anything... Except pavement I guess lol. How much weight do they add?
    1750g's claimed by Vee. My guess is they are a wee bit over that.
    The treads feel like suction cups sticking to glass. Just an astonishing feeling riding em.
    They are fatter than Punkin's ever seen!
    Doctor recommended...

Nor­wegr
    What rims are those mounted to?

Wish I could get a mayor without spending a small country's budget on shipping.

1750g +/- 60 seems to be the norm. I bought one from an ex-display bike for cheap which I'm going to use this winter.

Rippin da fAt
    They are on RD's. You need to take a trip to Canadia and fly back with a bike after riding it all over the countryside and you'll have a Mayor to ride at home too!

Behave, phatty! :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    1750g's claimed by Vee. My guess is they are a wee bit over that.
    The treads feel like suction cups sticking to glass. Just an astonishing feeling riding em.
    They are fatter than Punkin's ever seen!
    It's more like a "vee" bit over.
    Vee cannot for their life get the claimed weight of their tires right. Every single vee tire I've had has been way over the claimed weight by approximately 10%. They seem to label their prototype weight on the box.

2xl seems to average closer to 1900g, at least the 4 I've had.

Still my number one choice for winter (I do like the "suction cups to glass" reference though). They are badass in powder (snow) but hit properly groomed tracks and they virtually grind to a halt. Back to back with jj 4.8 it's like a tank vs a Ferrari.

Rippin da fAt
    Andy, That's what I'm thinking, too. They will be at their best on the snowmobile trails due to the churn created buy the sleds rippin it up. There's
    usually 4-8" of churn that no longer will compact, making for a powder like ride. The Bud/Lou at very low pressure have been good on this type of trail. The soft tread compound of the 5.05's is part of the suction cup feeling. There are a couple deer trails I'd like to use em on. The deer trail is like riding on fresh potting soil, it's that loose and soft ground.

I changed back to the JJ 4.8's last night cause they ride so good and are surprisingly low rolling resistance. They are sweet tires, indeed.
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Ok Mr suckchun cup....

Rippin da fAt
    Punkin's waiting...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    took my mayor out for its maiden voyage. little wet here buy climbed like a champ. man i see what the fatbike craze is about now. geo seems right in line with my endo 650b fs rig. i had a few qc problems...

1. rear dropout had paint on the surface
    2. front brake line too long
    3. fork cut too long so could not preload with the included spacers.

all in all a gokd experience i suppose.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Those are all items that shoulda been taken care of as the bike was going through final assembly.
    There's an easy feex for the steer length, add a 5mm spacer and go to town. The trouble with trimming a steer is once it's cut, it's cut. No going back. As for brake line length, trim and bleed or leave it as is, provided it's not absurdly long.

Glad you're enjoying the Mayor!

It's one of the very few fatbikes that have geometry around offroad performance, period. I cannot get enough of my Mayor or my Sergeant. They are both very competent performers. They climb like nobody's business. At times you might not notice you are going up an incline.

Welcome to the Mayor club, Shoal! Good times are coming your way...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Those are all items that shoulda been taken care of as the bike was going through final assembly.
    There's an easy feex for the steer length, add a 5mm spacer and go to town. The trouble with trimming a steer is once it's cut, it's cut. No going back. As for brake line length, trim and bleed or leave it as is, provided it's not absurdly long.

Glad you're enjoying the Mayor!

It's one of the very few fatbikes that have geometry around offroad performance, period. I cannot get enough of my Mayor or my Sergeant. They are both very competent performers. They climb like nobody's business. At times you might not notice you are going up an incline.

Welcome to the Mayor club, Shoal! Good times are coming your way...
    i disagree. if i wanted to trim the fork, trim my cables and scrape paint off the dropouts im sure i coulda and woulda found a cheaper option then a "complete" bike.

Rippin da fAt
    The expectation is "dealer prep" or buyer prep. That's something that is usually done by a bike shop when you buy a new bike. So, yeah, when I pulled my frame and uncut fork outta the box, I knew I would be doing the dealer prep, build and trimming the fork. It's part of doing a build that I love to do.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i didnt read that anywhere on their page. im more then capable to do the work. just wish it was advertised out front. otherwise i would have piecemealed it. much prefer shimano

mtbr member
    I guess things are a little different when buying direct from manufacturer. Personally I enjoy the fine tuning of fit and the personalization of the set up to suit me. I wonder if bikes come in a similar state from other direct purchase bike companies like canyon and yt?

Rippin da fAt
    Have you ever pulled a bike outta the box at a shop to assemble it? Usually the frames need head tube facing as well as BB facing and thread chasing. It's an industry thing that has gone on for many decades. It's been quite some time that I was a bike mech at a LBS and that was rather the norm. I had no issues with my Mayor coming outta the box. It was 1.5 hours from opening the box to riding it and I had to peel the parts offa my 907 and lace a wheel, since my front was a 135. No worries, I enjoy the build process and that first ride. The last thing you would want is the fork cut to include 1 10mm spacer when you wanted 30mm worth of spacer on it. Again, once it's cut, it's cut. At 350, bucks that an expensive fvckup IMHO.

No matter, hope you are enjoying the ride. The fact is that there is no other fatty that has the geo or the component package for that price point.

That's my story from "candy land, Colorado" lol
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    BansheeRune, I agree with you %100 I have worked in bike shops too and know the drill, I bought my mayor from a lbs so I can't speak to how things were finished from factory as the lbs took care of all that, I like the fact that the steerer is long and allows me to get the setup right before I decide to cut it down or not.....
    JJ about Candyland lol no disrespect BR

Rippin da fAt
    BansheeRune, I agree with you %100 I have worked in bike shops too and know the drill, I bought my mayor from a lbs so I can't speak to how things were finished from factory as the lbs took care of all that, I like the fact that the steerer is long and allows me to get the setup right before I decide to cut it down or not.....
    JJ about Candyland lol no disrespect BR
    None taken! @.-

There will be a few minor issues that get by the QC side of things like paint in threads, paint on disc mounts etc. but those would be resolved by a LBS doing the build. There is an untold assumption by all manufacturers that an LBS will do the small details prior to delivery. Small ops like RSD assume that you will do the "dealer prep" DIY. This, again is an untold assumption that someone buying direct rather than through traditional channels is a bike junky, yeah, just like me that will toil with assembly and bond with that bike.

12 step programs for bike addiction are available, or so I was told.
    Hello, my name is BansheeRune and I'm a bikaholic, hiccup...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    @shoal don't know whats up, but my complete Mayor (build 1) came with a full length, uncut steerer tube. I made sure to tell the shop that built it to keep it that way.

Welcome to the RSD fam.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    a little trials riding on the commute this morning... I love the bounce I get from these tires.RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb13879601.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb13879567.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb13879568.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    That's the beauty of fat trials. Chris Akrigg has lotsa vids on the subject.

Looking fun as it gets!
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful

Spike'd the RSD Mayor

Still trying to dial in the fit of my RSD Mayor, picked up a new stem; Spank Spike Race 35mm and figured while I was at it, new bars wouldn't hurt so I grabbed a Spank Spike Race 800 x 50mm.

Also trying out some new grips, Wolftooth\Red Monkey Fat Paw XL grips, super cushy @36-37mm diameter and 160mm long for the big paws. RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-20160902_163217.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-20160902_163213.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-20160902_163152.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Nice! The blue looks good with the raw frame, have you ever mentioned what brand of frame bag that is? Do you have a pic from the side of the bike?

Trying to be helpful
    Nice! The blue looks good with the raw frame, have you ever mentioned what brand of frame bag that is? Do you have a pic from the side of the bike?
    Thanks, I was inspired by Claw's old setup. (pic)

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-berrecloth-spank.jpg

Possibly earlier on, but here is a pic and link to where I got the bag; it's an Ibera. It's used mostly for commuting\cruising, I woudnt recommend it for tour duty or serious bike packing. FWIW, my bike is the XL and the bag is a large.

https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Black-M.../dp/B00SA4KSPA

http://www.ibera.info/products_detail.php?

cID=10&Key=57RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-ibera-frame-bag.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Great thanks!

mtbr member
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb13902931.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb13902933.jpg

This was a good ride, loads of traction with the extra weight on the rear wheel! the kid had a blast, even did a bit of light off pavement trail riding.

Trying to be helpful

Name:	p4pb13902931.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	1092088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb13902933.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	1092089

This was a good ride, loads of traction with the extra weight on the rear wheel! the kid had a blast, even did a bit of light off pavement trail riding.
    That's awesome, great job dad. Monster biking with the kid, HELLS YEAH!!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

nvphatty
    The turquoise shoooes are pretty special

mtbr member
    Totally awesome! Going to have to get one of those in a few years when my little guy gets bigger.

mtbr member
    I think it's pretty awesome too, as a parent there's nothing better than when your kid asks to go biking and enjoys time on the bike as much as dad. The trail-a-bike is sweet I bought it used and fixed it up, too bad there isn't a fat tire version.

Rippin da fAt
    Trials,

You need to find a 19x2.5 mod rim/tire and you'll have it fat enough! Pump it up to 8-10 psi for a smoother ride for the munchkin and away ya go.
    Of course, that's assuming the rear end has the space for a 2.kindafat.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Lol that's actually a really good idea, now to find a cheap used mod rear wheel and tire... It would be a rare find nowadays.

Rippin da fAt
    The mayor playing in the dirt...

Spent a few hours riding the Hubbard Mesa area, south of Rifle. Temp was 85 and a light cool breeze was like having factory air in my Jeep, uh, on my bike! Those JJ's are sweet as it gets, being very light weight. They perform like riding on velcro out there on the loose powdery dirt and sand. The magic fatbike ride was a blast. Rode some of the washbeds to enjoy the sand and various rock ledges and then hit the trail system for a long pedal. Climbing was amazingly easy with the low gearing of 28x 36-11. The mayor loves going Jeepin. Now he needs a bath and some chain lube. There should be a day spa for these bikes to get a detailing and lube! Phuck, I love this bike!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0470.jpg

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0476.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Looks like a heck of a lot of fun riding in your area, that's some interesting terrain! Definitely Jeep worthy.

Rippin da fAt
    That's precisely why I loaded my Jeep in the back of my Jeep to get there! -.o
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=BansheeRune;12816702]The mayor playing in the dirt...

...Those JJ's are sweet as it gets, being very light weight. They perform like riding on velcro out there on the loose powdery dirt and sand...

Banshee: I've recently been polling a few of the JJ users regarding self-steer. A while back, I tried a JJ 4.8 snakeskin inflated to about 4-5 psi (front) on a 65mm "summer" rim at 170 lbs bodyweight and noticed a slight bit of self-steer where a Surly Bud doesn't seem to exhibit the same tendency with a similar setup. I'd sure like to be able to take advantage or the vastly lighter rotating weight of the JJ, even when referring to the snakeskin version (moreso for the lightskin, of course). I was very happy with the general traction and performance of the JJ when I had it on my bike.

So, do you notice any self-steer when riding your JJs? I recall that you're a little lighter than I am, but do tend to keep the psi's fairly low like me. Do you think the fact that your JJs are the lightskin version makes a difference in self-steer? I do have a 90 mm wide wheelset, too, but I'm thinking that, unless I can get away with running higher pressures, putting my snakeskin JJ on a wider rim will likely make the self-steer even more noticeable. What sized rims and at what psi are you at? Thanks for any thoughts!

Rippin da fAt
    I have the liteskin version and have not experienced self steer at pressure from 8 psi down to 2 psi. My D5's display a slight self steer and feel stiffer in the casings at all pressures. My Bud has no self steer at pressures from 8 down to almost flat without any self steer at all.

I weigh 160 and tend to ride fairly low psi at all ties cause I can't stand rock hard tires. Being the liteskin does have something to do with it due to the casing being more supple. This is why the Bud has no self steer as well. Tread pattern does contribute but is only a factor in the equation of self steer. I like the lighter tires for their compliance and ride comfort . I'm using Rolling Darryl's with my fatty.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the liteskin version and have not experienced self steer at pressure from 8 psi down to 2 psi. My D5's display a slight self steer and feel stiffer in the casings at all pressures. My Bud has no self steer at pressures from 8 down to almost flat without any self steer at all.

I weigh 160 and tend to ride fairly low psi at all ties cause I can't stand rock hard tires. Being the liteskin does have something to do with it due to the casing being more supple. This is why the Bud has no self steer as well. Tread pattern does contribute but is only a factor in the equation of self steer. I like the lighter tires for their compliance and ride comfort . I'm using Rolling Darryl's with my fatty.
    As always, thanks for your detailed comments. I'm tempted to try a liteskin to see if by riding the right lines, it can survive the chippy and sometimes sharp-edged Northern and Central New Jersey rocks.

Rippin da fAt
    As always, thanks for your detailed comments. I'm tempted to try a liteskin to see if by riding the right lines, it can survive the chippy and sometimes sharp-edged Northern and Central New Jersey rocks.
    We have our share of "broken glass" here too. I find it to be less that desirable to ride it even with truck tires on my bike. Fortunately most of the state has better choices of terrain. For the liteskin's to serve you well, you'll have to mind your lines carefully.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0470.jpg
    Here's a shot from Fatbike Monday.

The Mayor is watching his figure!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0476.jpg
    There isn't much flat ground here and the JJ's were on their game, never breaking loose on climbs or descents. Flotation was excellent in the sugar, uh, sand too.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We have our share of "broken glass" here too. I find it to be less that desirable to ride it even with truck tires on my bike. Fortunately most of the state has better choices of terrain. For the liteskin's to serve you well, you'll have to mind your lines carefully.

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	1092378
    Here's a shot from Fatbike Monday.

The Mayor is watching his figure!

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	1092379
    There isn't much flat ground here and the JJ's were on their game, never breaking loose on climbs or descents. Flotation was excellent in the sugar, uh, sand too.
    Beautiful terrrain, you lucky Weight Watchers counselor!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just noticed the 2017's are listed on the RSD site with new colours available. Could someone tell me what the seat post size is on these bikes? I sure like the looks of this bike for some reason....

Glen

Rippin da fAt
    Pfft! ya wanna watch your weight, all you need is a tapeworm and a fatbike!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeden View Post
    I just noticed the 2017's are listed on the RSD site with new colours available. Could someone tell me what the seat post size is on these bikes? I sure like the looks of this bike for some reason....

Glen
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

My First Ride on "The Mayor"

The Mayor did not disappoint! We rode from 5,900' to 7,000' over 8.5 miles. This fat bike has a beast mode. I rode with a couple chaps with Salsa Mukluks and although they did well I was the only one with a big smile.

The Mukluks are good bikes, full suspension (which I didn't understand) with good riders; but, The Mayor was sooo much fun. I passed them when I wanted to, I did a couple wheelies and had a good ol time.

Down hill was treacherous and it handled like I thought it would, like a champ.

Zona
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-fullsizerender-8-.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    It's all about the geometry, Zona. The Mayor will continue to amaze you the more you ride. Dollar for dollar, the Mayor is simply the finest geometry available.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Perfect! then this is a strong contender to share my Thunderbolt's Command Post IR It came with a second lever, so all I would need to buy is a second cable and barrel thingie. It takes only a few minutes to remove/swap.

Glen

Rippin da fAt
    Perfect! then this is a strong contender to share my Thunderbolt's Command Post IR It came with a second lever, so all I would need to buy is a second cable and barrel thingie. It takes only a few minutes to remove/swap.

Glen
    You actually need a doohickey in lieu of a thingie. There was a tech bulletin on that recently...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

More Pic's

It was chill up there on The Mayor.

Zona
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_5918-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Geometry shomitry...it's magic.

Also, the mountain range behind me in the distance is the top of the Mogollon Rim (approx. 10 miles, 7,800') and there are some killer trails I'm going to hit up next month! Just warning you.

Zona

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    A doohickey or thingie in Arizona is called a "chingadera". hahaaa.

Zona

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You actually need a doohickey in lieu of a thingie. There was a tech bulletin on that recently...
    Hah! Ya made me pull out the instructions to find what it actually is called.... "cable barrel"

The strongest contenders for a purchase are the Mayor and the Blizzard 30.

Glen

Rippin da fAt
    Hah! Ya made me pull out the instructions to find what it actually is called.... "cable barrel"

Glen
    Glen, I just had to run with that one! All in good fun.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt

Glen
    Glen, I just had to run with that one! All in good fun.

Zona, see post 941 on page 19...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I knew you believed in magic.

Zona

Rippin da fAt
    Zona, that was from Fatbike Monday. Had a ride on Hubbard Mesa where you can ride till ya drop. The trails are plentiful there. And a Mayor tends to enjoy the trails and sand.

How may of ya's have manualed your Mayors?? It's euphoric, I must admit!
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    @Zona1 = looks and sounds awesome man, congrats on having a great ride. Can't wait to see more pics and read ride reports from more RSD Mayor riders. I can't wait to finally find time to get my Mayor on some real dirt soon and post some pics. Great job everyone, keep the dream alive.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I can't wait to see the pic's Senor Ford. Awesome.

Zona

mtbr member
    I see they are offering a couple new colors in 2017...

mtbr member

How may of ya's have manualed your Mayors?? It's euphoric, I must admit!

Yup have to agree!

Rippin da fAt
    It's fatbike crack!! I just can't get enough of rolling manny's and wheelies with the fat tires. Good buzz, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    what is "Rolling Manny's" or manualed?

Zona

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    manuals are coasting wheelies. wheelies are front wheel off the ground while pedaling.

mtbr member
    From RSD's Facebook page....I still prefer the raw aluminum color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-14224887_931506613625219_4885015843804204345_n.jpg  

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-14257700_930872407021973_7195956962235592465_o.jpg  

Last edited by trials4evr; 09-09-2016 at 08:30 PM.

nvphatty
    It's fatbike crack!! I just can't get enough of rolling manny's and wheelies with the fat tires. Good buzz, indeed!
    willis put down the crack or else i tells yer momma..

Rippin da fAt
    From RSD's Facebook page....I still prefer the raw aluminum color.

I'm keepin my orange one cause I have several raw bikes...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I am still interested to see what the complete builds look like in the green and black. Green will probably look sharp with the matte black fork.

Rippin da fAt
    The green frame does look nice. Contrasting colors would be very sharp, indeed.

Alex was interested in the fact that I polished my fork because I don't like the matte (As I describe it...dilapidated look).
    It looks clean as a charcoal gloss appearance. It took less than 5 minutes to make the fork look finished. Just needs the RSD lettering in orange to really pop!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I was wondering why your forks looked a bit more glossy than others, I just figured you had bought some kind of special edition rsd fork for your custom build... what was the process of polishing, just like a car over top of the original finish or did you remove the matte finish somehow then polish?

Rippin da fAt
    In your right hand, a nice soft, clean cloth. In your left hand, a fresh can of Mothers aluminum polish. A sparing amount of mothers and rub it on, let it dry, a clean soft cloth to rub out the polish. Turn the cloth to expose a clean section from tim to tim as you go. It's a quick way to cherry out a bike.

There is no need to do any prep other than start with a clean fork. No need to disturb the matte finish other than to apply the polish and rub a dub, dub followed by rubbing the dried polish residue offa the fork.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Desert Riding at 104', fun and fast.

Went to South Mountain in Arizona today and rode a trail called Desert Classic. If you're in AZ you probably have ridden this trail, it's fun and fast.

I've ridden this trail on some really good full suspension bikes and let me tell you--The Mayor was a beast.

First, there's plenty of sand in the washes due to all the rain this year; and, the Mayor flew over it without the front wheel squirming around sinking hoping to get to the end. The end of a wash is always uphill so I was able to keep momentum and fly up the hill.

There's a Paraglider with a small white parachute directly above the handlebars, you can barely see it, fyi.

I dig this bike.

Zona
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-fullsizerender-12-.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Zona, now that you're hooked, bet you can't get enough! The wash beds are awesome riding. Those fat tires are at home in soft loose sand.
    Glad you're enjoying the Mayor.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhugal View Post
    Yesterday was my first outing on the Mayor. What a beauty of a machine!

West Bragg Creek, Alberta

Name:	RSD.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	1090087
    Nice! I was just there yesterday on Ranger/Brew on a demo Pivot Mach429 with all the Enve goodies. Loved it.

I'm looking forward to a good winter. May go a little different direction so I've got my Mayor listed FS on PB. I've got studded Snowshoe XLs which were awesome in all the ice we had last winter. Hoping for more snow this year!

Uploaded from my Commodore64

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by horizontallyopposed View Post
    Nice! I was just there yesterday on Ranger/Brew on a demo Pivot Mach429 with all the Enve goodies. Loved it.

I'm looking forward to a good winter. May go a little different direction so I've got my Mayor listed FS on PB. I've got studded Snowshoe XLs which were awesome in all the ice we had last winter. Hoping for more snow this year!

Uploaded from my Commodore64
    @[email protected]
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Haven't seen those before, looks like a non hydroformed frameset with a lower spec build than the mayor. I wonder if it's a MEC exclusive.

Rippin da fAt
    Perhaps old new stock? Alex hasn't mentioned the Sheriff in conversations... :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This bike is a custom build exclusively for MEC.
    Instagram - facebook

Trying to be helpful
    MEC can keep them, QR rear axle no thank you.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by RSD Bikes View Post
    I see how it is!

Guy, it's the FUZZ!!
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    @BansheeRune guess I'm just spoiled. Have you seen (look who I'm asking of course you have) the new RSD Sargeant OMG going to be hard not to pull the trigger on that in 2017. It's ticking a lot of boxes on my plus wants/needs list, so pretty.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Yep! There are some nice components on the new rig. Geometry stays in the groove.
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    shake yer groove thang sarge....

Rippin da fAt
    :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    that looks like the original Mayor, which had a 190 QR rear
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by RSD Bikes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    that looks like the original Mayor, which had a 190 QR rear
    Made me think of new old stock but RSD states otherwise....
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

S. Mountain AZ--Desert Classic Trail in AZ

Today I hit the trail again and had several people stop me asking about the Mayor. The best part was going through and over everything--you don't have to go around much! haha.

Zona
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_6077.jpg  

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zona1 View Post
    Today I hit the trail again and had several people stop me asking about the Mayor. The best part was going through and over everything--you don't have to go around much! haha.

Zona
    Awesome Zona1 sounds like your really enjoying the monster truck feeling the fatty has, it's really addictive just crushing over everything in your path.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Looks like Zona's a full blown addict! Good times out there with a Mayor to keep it fat.
    Zona, Jeepin will never be the same! These bikes are just so much fun in what they can conquer.

Looking like the Global Fatbike Day plans are moving forward here in Colorado! We have a noob that will join us for the fatbike follies and BBQ to follow! The hazing committee will convene soon.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Zona, looks like there is some fun riding in AZ! quite the contrast to what I am currently riding here in Alberta, mornings are getting COLD around here leaves are falling and we will have snow soon.

yesterdays commute was foggy and frosty. definitely need lights for the commute until the spring.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb13970976.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks GF, the Mayor has exceeded expectations--shifting uphill, handling, acceleration.
    Zona

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah, thee ol Land Cruiser is feeling a little neglected now that I'm running around on the Mayor. Post up pic's of the Global Fat Bike Day!

Zona

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anything below 75' and I start layering, hahaha. That looks beautiful up there. Stay warm hombre.

Zona

Trying to be helpful
    Zona, looks like there is some fun riding in AZ! quite the contrast to what I am currently riding here in Alberta, mornings are getting COLD around here leaves are falling and we will have snow soon.

yesterdays commute was foggy and frosty. definitely need lights for the commute until the spring.

Name:	p5pb13970976.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	1095875

trials4ever, your commute looks fricken awesome and fun as hell, you lucky [email protected] So jelly!!

Also wanted to share a couple updates I made to my Mayor (Amber Lynn). Recently swapped out the 32t oval for a 30t. The 32 was a bit tall for good jeeping power, now I have a nice low end to really be able to crawl over stuffs.

Also picked up a pair of r RF Chester pedals, in blue, super sticky (using 5.10 Impacts), very light and super fun. For some reason I never felt right using clips on the fat bike, it always felt to me like it deserved a nice pair of platforms. Anyhow just wanted to share, keep the rubber side down!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-14370089_1203675869655988_2706179854189620395_n.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast