Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,706 of 1706
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    A few things to think about, you are going to ride 98% of the time on flat and uphill, that's just how it all works out time-wise, you want to be comfortable here. You do not want to be cramped. Furthermore, modern frames have significant dropped top-tubes (especially these snow-bikes) and do not have ridiculously long head-tubes. Larger sizes back in the 1990s did and they were ultra-goofy to maneuver in singletrack when you were in between sizes and "upsized". With the availability of shorter stems, handlebar widths and corrections to these geometry issues, I firmly believe the opposite is true these days, you upsize if in between, because you don't take nearly the hit that you used to maneuverability-wise and you spend most of the time on the bike not wanting to be cramped by the geometry. Lots of shops and "old mentality" still exist out there that you should "always downsize", but I've always ended up cramped and unhappy when I did.

A secondary consideration is frame-bag size, it's nice to have a decent sized frame-bag on a fat-bike and as much space in there as possible is nice, not at the expensive of your geometry and comfort obviously, but when looking at frame construction, there were some pretty terrible ones like the old on-one, where a large frame couldn't fit anything bigger than a medium frame bag.

I ran a few frames too small back in the day, broke one by running too much exposed seatpost. Even though I had a crazy amount of overlap due to using a 410mm one, a longer lever is simply a longer lever and that min insert only kept the seatpost from breaking. The amount of exposed seatpost is usually a pretty good quick reference as to whether you are running a frame too small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    My Mayor in it's natural environment Sz. M
    MAybe for the newer version. My first edition mayor doesn't do well in snow at all. There's no comparison to the ICT. I have a medium mayor and a small ICT. The mayor bogs down where the ICT floats. Granted the wheels are a little bigger on the ICT but I blame it on the riding position. I'm a little more stretched out on the ICT and sit more upright on the Mayor. This weight distribution changes everything.
    I'm not saying I don't like the Mayor either. Just not for breaking trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I like picture threads!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20190206_163136.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20190206_163145.jpg
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi All, I have a question about the mayor v3 ti or the v4 alloy: Iím looking to replace my Norco Ithaqua with a bike with a more modern geo and the mayor (probable v3 ti) is in my short list. I donít want to ryde 5in tires and one thing that I like about my bike is the ability to ryde 170mm crank spindle with a 4.6 tire on 80mm rims. Is this possible with this bike or the crank arms wonít clear the chainstay?

Sorry for the long post
    Thanks

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemax99 View Post
    Hi All, I have a question about the mayor v3 ti or the v4 alloy: Iím looking to replace my Norco Ithaqua with a bike with a more modern geo and the mayor (probable v3 ti) is in my short list. I donít want to ryde 5in tires and one thing that I like about my bike is the ability to ryde 170mm crank spindle with a 4.6 tire on 80mm rims. Is this possible with this bike or the crank arms wonít clear the chainstay?

Sorry for the long post
    Thanks
    What size is your Ithaqua and sell me the frame?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You will be stuck using the race face 197mm spindle cranks. They are the ones that have the 10mm spacers on both sides for a "width" of 120mm in the bb area. Not sure if the sram wide cranks will clear or not. The rear triangle is HUGE! Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemax99 View Post

Sorry for the long post
    Thanks
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the infos, thatís what I was thinking but not what I was expecting!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718