RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rolling Darryl clearance on earlier gen Carver fat bikes???

Looking to upgrade my large marge rims to rolling Darryl's but not sure if there will be enough clearance for granny ring. Does anyone who may have had an older Carver snowbike know if there is enough clearance, or has done the same upgrade?

I'm looking into in with Forrest at Carver bikes, but wanted to also see if anyone had luck with it in Internet land.

It also doesn't help that I am on a 165mm 36h Hadley rear hub. Don't even think surly is making 36 hole rims anymore.

Thanks and would love to see pics if anyone has done this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have an early 165 Ti FatBack...the early ones were, essentially, Carvers. I easily run 100's with 4.0's...I do have to dump a cog in back and have spacers on the driveside BB. With no dish I have a bit of tire/chain rub in 20T granny, but not enough to be a real issue but I did dish to the non-drive side 5mm or so...I suppose 3mm would have been enough...I'm also contemplating spacing my rear der a touch to see what that'll do...

Long story short...your rim/frame choice should work fine.

Also, I heard Surly was going to have a 36 hole run of hoops soon...alternatively, these guys 26" rim size - Robs'son seem to have a pretty good selection and I have been quoted totally reasonable shipping.

-edit- I should add my GF has one as well, same thing, but she runs 70's and 4.0's and can run all 3x9 with no dish.
    Last edited by damnitman; 12-26-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I also have a 165 Fatback. I run Rolling Darrylls and Fat Shebas. Depending on the tire, Escalators, there is a tiny bit of chain rub. Could be dealt with with a tiny bit of redishing but I haven't yet because there is no visible wear. Endos and Larrys fit fine.
    Latitude 61

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the feedback damnitman and sryanak. I could probably get away without any mods as I am very rarely in my granny ring as it is. I spend 99% of the time in my middle ring anyways.