Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I clicked into this thread as I've really lusted after a full suspension fatty ever since my first Bucksaw ride...stayed to watch all of Rodney's movies. I don't know which is more fun, watching you huck stuff...or the surprise laughter after you clear something and don't kill yourself! Thanks for posting, I'll definitely be checking into this thread from time to time.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    I don't know which is more fun, watching you huck stuff...or the surprise laughter after you clear something and don't kill yourself!
    Well, for the past few years I have been riding around or rolling all the hucks/jumps on my hardnose fatty. It is awesome to finally take the aggressive line. The Fatillac is just such an f'n great ride, my shrill of excitement is hard to contain...

Yesterday, it poured in the am. I met up with a few buddies at a new riding spot at the tail end of the rain at 1pm. Our plan was to go ADV it and find out where the trails went. With a rough idea where they started and ended, we planned for 12 miles or so.

I debated this huck rock for 5 minutes. In the end, the wet rock combined with a rental front wheel, my survival instinct kicked in and I skipped it. Next time gadget, next time...

This roller was relatively easy, but there was a stacked rock skinny with awkward entry that took a few runs to hit right
    *damn 2 video limit*

In the end, we were 10 miles in, and still 10 miles from the car. My buddy got a flat, and I got a flat (from the same fuggin rock garden) and another buddy was flat tired.

Called the wifey, and she happened to be in the area with the pickup. So I sweet talked her into picking us up and shuttling us back to the cars...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Still pretty low to be dropping to flat. Yeah, I know they are rock hard at 20psi, but damn, dropping to flat on a rigid.
    Rigid? Whaa?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Late last week, I got another wheel set delivered from mikeyboy. Went with i45 scrapers this go around.

Mounted up my Minion 3.8's, then over the course of the weekend, got 2 rides and 20 miles in on them. So far, almost no rock strikes. There was one light mark, but it wiped off. I think this is the perfect wheel width for the 3.8/4.0 tire when riding rocky techy trails. #veryhappy

Yesterday's fun was a lot of hooning on rollers. While a guy was fixing his der hanger, i was goofing off on this built up stone ex stream crossing.

on the third pass through, someone yelled out "do a stoppie..." done.

Of course, i held it too long and subsequently went over the bars. but, i got the pic...

This was a pretty good sized roller. As usual, the vid does not do it justice, as only a few of our decently sized group even attempted it. It was very intimidating staring down it from the top. With the damp rock combined with wet leaves, you were going for a ride if you picked up too much momentum...

With every ride, I am loving the Fatillac even more!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    found another pic of the roller above. I had hugged it and thanked it for not hurting me... We are now best friends

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Looks pretty step in second photo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good stuff Rodney! Would like to get a look at your bike as it is on my short list for my 2nd bike.

Do you ever ride habitat on Friday. I am headed there this Friday after i pick up my new ride. Only my 2nd time there and would like to ride with someone that can show me around.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Had a fun week on the fattilac. Went to a park in CT where there was a ton of gap jump insanity. Didn't do the insane stuff, but did 75% of it.

Wednesday I did a night ride. There was a wet skinny that was fairly easy to do normally. The fatillac beckoned for more, so I had to try wheelie on it...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    small'ish rock jump

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Do you ever ride habitat on Friday. I am headed there this Friday after i pick up my new ride. Only my 2nd time there and would like to ride with someone that can show me around.
    i have only been to Jungle 3x. Sure, we could meet one day. PM sent...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    This feature wasn't really part of the trail, but I still wanted to do it anyway...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    found another pic of the roller above. I had hugged it and thanked it for not hurting me... We are now best friends

Blue Mountain? If so, my attempt didn't go as well.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BIke N Gear View Post
    Blue Mountain? If so, my attempt didn't go as well.
    yep, that was Blue Mountain. What happened? I could picture a long a55 slide to the bottom if you f'd up on top...

Yesterday's ride was at a county park. I stumbled upon a bunch of old bmx jumps in the woods. I felt like a kid again...

I need to go back there. And the tanks, that needs to happen again.

beer thief

Yesterday's ride was at a county park. I stumbled upon a bunch of old bmx jumps in the woods. I felt like a kid again... ...
    Good launches.

Nice to see your videographer didn't have vertical video syndrome. Just say no to vertical video.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Update: the Fatillac is the best bike I have owned or even ridden. it just makes me leap off sh!t on the sides of the trail. Seriously, when I ride it, I feel like i want to rob a bank...

did an 11 mile techy ride today, the latter half by myself. I just didn't want to stop. Setup my phone on the side of the trail to film a little skinny with small huck at the end.

seriously, the Fatillac is fuggin awesome. All hail Devin Lenz...

mtbr member
    I would love to rip me some fatillac!

Looks like fun!
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGER1 View Post
    Love the bike, I'm from northern NJ also can you recommend any good riding spots. Just back riding after more than 20 years so somewhere a little tamer than that
    Hope you are ok.
    There's also some slightly more tame trails at Sterling Forest just over the line into NY. Stop into Tenafly Bike Works and ask questions, those guys know their area better than anybody else.

There are connector trails/fire roads at Ringwood and Wawayanda that we frequently cross over. I do not know the exact route they take, but you could have an adventure all your own but finding and following them...

Oh, i know about injury. Rodknee is a nickname from the ti rod in my leg. Rodney sounds better than Screwed Pelvis...

the bike is borderline unrideable at anything higher than 10 for the surrounding trail. also, there was zero tire damage. the two rim walls separated. pics coming soon. when i ride my rigid fork fatty with the same tire combo on the same trail minus large hucks, i run 1.5~2 psi less.
    I dunno, I kinda like screwed pelvis

Yeah the difference in build quality on carbon hoops is pretty significant. When you're ready for the real deal just ask me...

When we got to that rock I cleaned the entrance and exit up nicely the other day. At that point most of the leaves had come down so it should be good to go for the next few months now. I cleaned up a few others too. Love that place

Looking forward to a review with the new tires asap.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

Looking forward to a review with the new tires asap.
    got my warranteed hoops back, they are assembled ready to go. hopefully i will get the new tires tomorraw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    got my warranteed hoops back, they are assembled ready to go. hopefully i will get the new tires tomorraw.
    Canít wait to test your new wheels on my Wednesday, Iíll promise Iíll go easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It is an awesome ride, my favorite to date. The combination of long travel, fat tired, and modern geo makes the Fatillac a joy to ride. I canít get enough of boulder strewn trails and ledges.

Itís even fun riding down stairs

My only wish(s) would be insertion for a 150mm dropper and chainstay width for my Barbes.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Itís even fun riding up stairs

Fixed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fixed.
    Up, down, off, pretty much anything ledgelike

It really is a super fun bike. I ride mine on everything, long XC rides, flow, gnarly stuff like steep gullies chock full of baby heads, drops, boulders chandler, itís all good on the Fatillac.

Not dissing the Mutz, it served me well, but the Fatillac is infinitely better for everything.

Having a Fatillac makes me seek out big lines.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Having a Fatillac makes me seek out big lines.
    THIS right there.

Everytime I ride the Fatillac, I feel like hooning. It makes me want to rob a bank...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Yesterday I blew off work to go ride the Fatillac. I had a blast, i was in huck heaven... until i came crashing down, figuratively and literally. The hucks got progressively larger, and on my last one, I tucked the front tire on leaf cover and had a good tumble. Bent the wheel, annihilated the rear der hanger, twisted the bars and took a shot to my hip. in a word, AWESOME!!!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006

damn you mtbr with you one vid per post rule... :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    [/QUOTE]

What goes up, must go down (in style)!

Flying Sasquatch
    Bent the wheel, annihilated the rear der hanger, twisted the bars and took a shot to my hip. in a word,
    That didn't even look like a hard fall....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    That didn't even look like a hard fall....
    Ya. It's hard to imagine you did all that damage in that slide. Hopefully you have all your bad luck used up for the next while.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There's lots o' granite ouchy stuff under all that mulch.
    Looked like rear end cased pretty good and more nuggets coulda wrecked the der hanger on the slide down. Maybe?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Ya. It's hard to imagine you did all that damage in that slide.
    that was my "fall", the crash came later in the ride. No video of the crash, as I was following Bojan. Someone get him a rear facing go pro, so he can film the hilarity behind him...

the crash was a similar scenario to the fall, but it involved higher altitude, more speed and a lot more tumbling. I had dirt in my nose and ear afterword...

Thanks for your concern! Just patched up the bike a little while ago. Going to give it a go again tomorrow afternoon...

mtbr member
    Cool thread, I am another north Jerzy rider, funny seeing all the old riding spots in your videos.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Rode yesterday morning with a small group. Finally sacked up to do this roller huck, although i took the easier of the two lines. The transition between the two rocks is rough. I never made it that far without dabbing/falling. Guess Turkey day 2017 was the day!

Like all things on youtoobz, the vid does not do it justice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Rode yesterday morning with a small group. Finally sacked up to do this roller huck, although i took the easier of the two lines. The transition between the two rocks is rough. I never made it that far without dabbing/falling. Guess Turkey day 2017 was the day!

Like all things on youtoobz, the vid does not do it justice...
    I think I have more style going over that rock...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BojanMikic View Post
    yes, you had a much more dramatic attempt...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    https://youtu.be/VPvW61dF7Rw
    This is how you get better at biking: you get chased by a dog (Zeus)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My brother has a Black Mouth Cur, big tall hound, looks like a cross between a Rhodesian and a Great Dane, fast as hell, leaps like a Gazelle, chases me down and once in a while has to slam on his brakes to keep from rear-ending me when I'm running through tight stuff. I love watching him skid through a turn

https://youtu.be/VPvW61dF7Rw

aka bOb

Oh, i know about injury. Rodknee is a nickname from the ti rod in my leg. Rodney sounds better than Screwed Pelvis...

Screwed pelvis myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodney got a Fatillac !-17736_696863607005828_1638970347_n.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    your dog is awesome! I love how he does all the features, and then makes up some of them on his own... It is damn cool to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Screwed pelvis myself.
    nice! how did you break yours? I got hit by a car...

I broke one of the screws a 15+ years ago

...and now it is backing out.

Nothing like a loose washer banging around in your pelvis... Not sure how I am going to proceed, but I am positive it will be months off the bike...

So, yesterday I did a 10 mile single track ride with a group of buds. Came across this old jump in the woods. I kicked it, and it felt solid. Fuggit, I went for it...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Found and fixed up a new line

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    small airtime, but i love the added sound effects... LOL

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Friends don't let friends record vertical.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post
    Friends don't let friends record vertical.
    that was Beer josh. You can tell him that when you see him.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    WOW, 4 weeks since I posted in this thread? oops...

a few weeks ago we had our first real snowfall of the season. Curious how it would work, I took the Fatillac equipped w/ FBF/FBR on 50mm rims out in a few inches of slop.

suffice to say, it didn't work very well. I had ok grip when the tire was square with the ground, but any sort of lean angle and away she went. It was not confidence inspiring to say the least. I made the whole ride without hitting the ground, but I definitely got the drifter of the day award...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Drop pressure or run studs, nothing does well on snowy rocks

mtbr member
    Our trails are running great with standard MTB tires and lots of rocks/snow. It's the ice that's killer, but living on the coast temps are usually mild enough for that not to a problem.

Agreed that you should lower tire pressure if you can and soften your suspension to max traction.

Rodney what tires are you running?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I have bent 3 wheels in as many months, so pressure has been dropped to the lowest it can be without destroying wheels. I have been defaulting to my studded Wednesday for snow days.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I forgot about this thread, but didn't forget about my Fatillac! I still love it. Best bike i have owned or ridden thus far. Here are some pics of this past season:

well, i finally beat your style. in fact, i crushed it. check it:

mtbr member
    nice socks.

Need moar this.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    nice socks.
    Need moar this.
    need more socks? I couldn't agree more...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    So, I had an itch I just needed to scratch... Behold the enduro B Fatty! 27.5x4 on 50mm hoops, Dorado paired with a MRP Raze coil spring shock...

I just spun around a bit at the house. Surprisingly, it pedals well. Wifey killed the fun, and yelled at me for jumping off the deck...

Tomorrow is the shakedown run. I have a sh!t ton of tunin' to do, but so far so good!

*BIG THANKS* TO MIKE CURIAK for the help and parts hookup. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    nice shocks

For gooning around I'm not sure there's ever been a bike as adept as the Fatillac.

With the new squishy bits you just went to Full Thug mode. Strong work.

Thread needs more consistent updates!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Weíll thatís a nice Fat-Duro bike!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    First ride with the Fatillac in enduro trim was Sunday. Geo was a bit weird going slow, but we all know that is not what she is made to do...

Determination or sharting? you decide...

Rare instance of me being up front...

"I BELIEVE I CAN FLY..."

My 9mo old pointer mix, Max, on his first group ride

Max killin' it on the skinnies...

*PROPS TO TIMMY K FOR THE PICS* luv ya bro!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    took the day off work yesterday to go work on some trails. blood was shed...

"your arm's off!"

"no it isn't..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    don't try new features when you are tired...

mtbr member
    Subpar socks.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    tried again, made it by the skin of my teeth. i crashed again shortly afterword and called it a day at that point. i was whooped.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    finally was able to get possession off the raw file from last months "Rodney's Huck" cherry pop. I was nose high, but I pulled it off. Camera angle doesn't do it justice, it is a rough entry...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    blew off work to go ride with my puppy and a few friends today. rubbed the tire on the crown of the dorado, i need to change fork height...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i love how my puppy was following me, and his buddy following him...

Love the frenchman laugh at the end of that vid.

Been a few years since I owned a Dorado, but isn't there a hydraulic bottom out resist knob? Or am I thinking of the newer Magnum/Mattoc?

Easy enough to slip the legs down in the crowns if not.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Been a few years since I owned a Dorado, but isn't there a hydraulic bottom out resist knob?
    there is a TPC+, which is supposed to address bottoming out.

to be honest, i was sloppy on that one hit, but the tire touched the crown, so i would imagine it will happen again. I need to make some sort of change.

Easy enough to slip the legs down in the crowns if not.
    Agreed. When i first set it up, in an effort to run the lowest AC measurement, I slid the fork legs up to max height. Then i pulled the air out, compressed the fork, and measured 15mm from the top of the tire to the crown. I assumed this was good enough, but i guess i need a smidge more.

I was getting tired, toward the end of the ride, evidence below:

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    It was Max's second group ride, and he was learning from Zeus the best way to block the trail....

Longer version of the above vid:

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Rodney got a Fatillac !

It was Max's second group ride, and he was learning from Zeus the best way to block the trail....

Longer version of the above vid:

I hate when people bring dogs on a MTB rides, especially dogs that Huck-Block...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I hate when people bring dogs on a MTB rides, especially dogs that Huck-Block...
    you would know, your dog is a professional huck blocker...

yesterday I did a 18 mile stream riding tour... well, it wasn't supposed to be like that, but it ended up that way... i swapped out the 700# boinger for the monarch, and it climbed surprisingly well. huck pics on the way...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12