Rode the Moonlander today.- Mtbr.com
    ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Rode the Moonlander today.

The bike is pretty cool. Seriously big tires. I rode it back to back with the Muk2 and the Black Pug. Man those are some wide rims/tires.

If you are going for the Mukluk geometry/feel, whcih seemed to me more of a Snow-touring/adventure ride, the Muk is awesome. The ML/Pug both handled similarily--more like a 29" hardtail.

If I were looking at the Black Pug, I'd find some more money, as it seemed to give up nothing/very little. The white Pug still looks good on value, but I'm not as crazy about the rapid fire stuff--it was cold today, and I liked the Muk gripshift/crappy levers quite a bit, with the Pug thumbies and nicer levers coming in a close second.

Geordie biker
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of rapid fire....or grip shift.

Are the thumbies ok on the moony?
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    it was cold today
    Really? How cold?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by donu View Post
    Really? How cold?
    Ha--actually, it was a nice December day (30?); however, I was not prepared with decent gloves, and my hands get very cold quite easily. Ergo, my hands were crying today.

Re: microshift? I thought they were fine. No problems at all. Seem like nice little machines.

mtbr member
    eij, I think it is funny that we both did almost the same post within minutes of each other. You won by a few minutes. Saltyman the thumbies on the moonlander were set up so you pull the right lever to go to an easier gear rather then push. I think it is something odd to this exact bike. The Necro's had the thumbies set up the way I am used to and felt great. You can shift in and out of the saddle easy and grab a bunch of gears or just one or two. I think they look good also.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

aka RossC
    The moonlander has a high normal XT rear derailleur, hence the weirdness with the shift direction on the thumbies. I'm still getting it wrong.

Harrumph
    You liked the brake levers on the Mukluk2 ?!?

Gripshit vs. Rapidfail is a user preference kind of thing. But those Tektro levers that Salsa have been offering on the Muks are apocalyptically terrible.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Geordie biker
    im so glad thumbies are coming back......
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

PSYCHOLUST
    ]

TWISTIES vs RADIDFIRE............... I've been riding forever and have been using shimano triggers since thery came out.... I bought a rocky RM6 once and the sram grip shifts made me crazy for 2 days and I took it back and had triggers put on it......

But NOT UNTIL READING THIS POST did I appreciate that twistie-shifters would be esier to use with MITTS than triggers........... WOW

An old dog just learned a new trick

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Are the thumbies Paul Component adapters and bar end shifters? Or a re-released shimano part? I am hoping for the Paul adapter to be on the new Moonies.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The NeckRomancer and Moonlander Thumbies are MicroShift units. I've heard good things about them, but they probably aren't on the same level as Paul adapters and the Shimano bar ends.

I agree with G-reg, the stock Mukluk Tektro brake levers are complete garbage. Walmart bikes have better levers.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Levers: Yep, the Muk levers are crappy, loose, etc... I noticed a few times how sloppy they were. However, I didn't really care. Huh. (?) In a year I might upgrade the levers and shifters on the Muk. But I always use stuff for a while before I ditch it.

Thumb Shifters: They are by Microshift. They are are similar to the old Deore thumb shifters, but the actions is a little smoother. They don't "feel" as durable, but that was just a feel--they are easier to manipulate. I still like the Paul/Thumbie combo a lot, but these are very nice and easy.

The perfect set up was probably the black pug/ML. The thumbshifters are pretty easy to use.