mtbr member

Rim suggestions for 29+ Fat Bike build

Hey all. Been thinking for a while of converting my fat bike to a 29+ w/ 3" tyres. I know the frame can accommodate it but I'm having some difficulty finding rims. I had settled on the Easton/RaceFace ARC 45 but can literally find these nowhere. Also, same goes for WTB Scraper i45. I had settled on 45 width as being optimal for the kind of riding I want to do. Rigid frame at moment but may look at suspension fork in the future. In a perfect world these would be built onto Hope Fatsno 32h hubs. Having no luck finding either rim so open to other suggestions.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Sun Race Durocs may be an option.

Keep looking for the other easton/RF and the Scrapers, there should be some out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Sun Race Durocs may be an option.

Keep looking for the other easton/RF and the Scrapers, there should be some out there!
    yep I have seen those on sale, 50mm rims I think. Also have seen these but trying to find something a bit cheaper: https://www.charliethebikemonger.com...rim-4191-p.asp

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    yep I have seen those on sale, 50mm rims I think. Also have seen these but trying to find something a bit cheaper: https://www.charliethebikemonger.com...rim-4191-p.asp

I have the Arc 45's in stock.

Rocking on a Rocky
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have the Arc 45's in stock.
    Thanks mikesee. Actually, your site was one of the first ones I hit when on the Trek Farley thread. However, I am in the UK so trying to avoid any import/postage costs and have a friend who will build these up. I'm sure they'll come back into stock somewhere. Otherwise I may have to look at a different brand.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    You're welcome

Easton Arc 45mm Rim | Chain Reaction Cycles

Easton Arc 40mm Rim | Chain Reaction Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Thanks mikesee. Actually, your site was one of the first ones I hit when on the Trek Farley thread. However, I am in the UK so trying to avoid any import/postage costs and have a friend who will build these up. I'm sure they'll come back into stock somewhere. Otherwise I may have to look at a different brand.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Thanks but CRC are just up the road from me (well they WERE until they moved to Wiggle HQ and laid off a few hundred local workers!) and I need the 32h in stock, not the 28h. They used to be the goto place for buying stuff but I only buy from them now unless I have no other option. Vitus, Nukeproof, Hotlines, Ragley, Brand-X and probably a handful more are all Wiggle brands now. They used to do great demo days here....sadly a thing of the past now.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    If your also in the UK then HALO VAPOUR 29+ are good and ace value,
    Stronger than their Freedom 80mm Fatbike rims and they are tubeless ready. You can buy em direct from ISON Distribution, the Halo hubs are good, i use them and their spokes for wheel builds these days as are a fraction of the cost of big brand names and so far been reliable
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am happy with the Mulefut 50 on my Stache 29+ and I put them on my Niner ROS 9 Plus as well, because the Niner came with terrible Stan Hugo rims.

You can get the Mulefuts really cheap on Amazon, like $34. I think I paid $120 each two years ago for the set I put on my Niner ROS 9 Plus.

mtbr member
    thanks folks. Still holding out for 40-45s if I can. Already run Mulefut 80SLs so want something a touch more nimble. 50 might a bit weighty for me. I do note though that Trek specced Duroc 50s for the 1120 which is the direction I'm headed with this build...minus all the bikepacking stuff.

Edit: After a bit of research the Duroc 50 come in a bit lighter than I was expecting. Lighter than Arc45, Duroc is coming in at 655 vs 690 for Arc45. Might be a runner!

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    i know saying this is blasphemy on here but the direct companies like Nextie, Lightbicycle, XMcarbonspeed, Ican and theone i sued Dengfu all have either rims or wheelsets depending on what you want. i have notices that their 50mm carbon rims run 140-210 ea. depending on what verison. that is more than alloy but they will weigh way less.

I built a set of 50mm Dengfu rims up with DT Rev spokes and chosen hubs for under $550. I did the building so i saved there. I am going on 3 yrs with these and no issues.