mtbr member
    May 2011

Rim cutouts: reflective tape install - best practices?

To use reflective tape instead of ribbon to cover the cutouts within the rims, is there a "best practices" for installation?
    • Stick it to ribbon?
    • Stick it to Gorilla tape?
    • Do you want the resulting liner wrapped all around and taped to itself, or taped to the inside of the rim to keep foreign material from getting in the rim cutouts?
    • other?

What worked or didn't work for you?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought a roll of 2" reflective tape. It has a backing on it that allows you to keep it on so it's not sticky. It will sit perfectly on an UMA II rim with no trimming needed. I used medical tape to secure the 2 ends (overlat about 2 inches so it will "bite" on itself. If you want, you can add a layer of duck tape over it for added strength. Once you add an innertube and pump it up...it will "seal" it from dirt getting in.

FYI - If you use a high pressure tire (Hookworms - over 40psi) you will need to add duck tape or you will blow out the reflective tape. I had a thread on that somewhere on here...search.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks!

I realized I may have a slight problem with compound curves. I doubt the reflective will stretch that much. I may have to cut a piece of reflective tape for each "hole" and duck-tape over?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The tape does not strech (at least the kind I have). But, it will bend a bit and you might get lucky. Even if it does not stay bent...once you get the inflated tub pressing from behind, it will likely conform to that curve.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Maybe use a hairdryer/paintstripper to get it warm and moldable so it will set a bit ?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I cut a piece of reflector for each hole, using a roll of packing tape, starting from the valve hole, placing the reflector and taping over it moving from hole to hole, then go around 1 more time for added strength. your mileage may vary!

Roll of reflective tape:

Finished product:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the input.

Guess I'll just have to see what happens. I scored some white retro-reflective tape for free, so I guess I'll just try that backed with a single pass of duck-tape, throw the tube & tire on and see how it looks.
    It's practice if nothing else.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well. Had to start somewhere.

Laid out Gorilla Tape reversed. Cut strips from the sheets of retro-reflective material in a width that would curve to fit the cross profile of the rim's single wall and cover the nipples. Just cut strips, removed the backing, and laid them down on the Gorilla Tape (adhesive to adhesive) with a small overlap. No measuring to see if the overlaps would be within any wall cutouts.

Material was quite thin, light and flexible, compared to prism retro-reflective material I had to compare to. Once, stuck onto the tape, bad idea to try to lift it: then it tares very easily.

Results:

• tube is contained, but
    • the liner is lifted away from the single wall by the nipple, so there's a gap for debris to get between the wall and the liner, but is contained way from the tube - I see potential for debris to pierce the liner and tube
    • the retro-reflective material really reflects

In daylight, I'll take more photos to show the appearance and the gap, but here's:
    • Gorilla Tape laid out on table (with scraps of material)
    • retro-reflective sheet, cut, mislaid on tape, tried to lift to reposition and it tore
    • rim just after sunset, flash on camera, from around 20 feet
    • rim just after sunset, flash on camera, from around 75 feet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rim cutouts: reflective tape install - best practices?-rim-liner-gorilla-tape-retro-reflective-sm.jpg  

Rim cutouts: reflective tape install - best practices?-retro-reflective-strip-tore-tape-sm.jpg  

Rim cutouts: reflective tape install - best practices?-rim-retro-reflective-1.jpg  

Rim cutouts: reflective tape install - best practices?-rim-retro-reflective-75-feet-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Suba maybe try a hole punch or something at each spoke location so the strip will lay down and then run a piece of electrical tape to cover the nipples. It doesn't take much to protect the tube. My last wheels are trials rims with big square cutouts and I am just using electrical tape sticky side showing through the holes, overlapped a bit so the tube doesn't push through. It has worked for many miles this summer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Suba maybe try a hole punch or something at each spoke location so the strip will lay down and then run a piece of electrical tape to cover the nipples..
    Of course!

I thought of the hole punch, but was fixated on the liner having to protect the tube from the nipple/spoke. A separate patch over the nipple/spoke will let the liner (tube retainer) work much better.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    One issue with retro-reflective material. I can't turn it off.

Twice now I've had police officers stop me while I'm riding a bike after midnight, instructing (not advising) me to:
    • get off the road and over there on the sidewalk (four feet of grass between road and sidewalk)
    • turn your lights OFF.

They said that DUI drivers coming down the road would instinctively aim at my bike's rear light. Being on the sidewalk with lights off means:, if they see me at all, the DUI driver is safely past me on the road before they see me on the sidewalk. This when the laws here are clearly no riding on the sidewalk and lights, front & rear, on at night. I thought it plausible, but unlikely, but they had a gun so I complied and rode lights-off on the sidewalk.

Then this last year, I got a call from a friend riding on the bike path down by the parkway (road) by the river. The bike path runs 20 to 30 feet off to the side of the road. There are no street lights and lots of dark trees. Even with headlights at 60 kph (or speeding to 80 kph), cars have difficulty maintaining their lane and take care to avoid the curb. That night while riding toward home, after a number of cars bounced off of the curb while aiming to follow his bike's rear light, he shut the lights off and called me on his cell while hiding behind some bushes. I went and got him home in the van.

With so much retro-reflective, I can't turn it off, and will remain a target.

How much does it weigh?
    That's ridiculous... people need to learn how to drive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There is something to what the cops are saying, but... follow their logic through and it falls apart. They wouldn't tell car or motorcycle drivers to turn off their lights and ride on the sidewalk because drunk drivers will intentionally come after them and they certainly don't advocate for fewer streetlights. Everyone takes their lives in their own hands when they ride and some roads are more dangerous than others so you have to make an informed decision on where to ride. Retro Reflective tape is a bit of a wash yeah it could draw the eyes of a drunk or careless driver and cause them to aim at you. Or it could inform a cautious or good driver to your location and keep you from getting run over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Another great rim strip idea - Lizzard Skins Handlebar Tape

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    Another great rim strip idea - Lizzard Skins Handlebar Tape
    ]
    Is it reflective? If so, check your laws about blue, since it could be illegal (due to confusion with police vehicles).
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Google 3M reflective fabric.

You can get a 2 inch wide by 50 yard piece for cheap, loop it around the rim a piece of tape to hold it on and punch the crossed area with the valvestem and your done.

Lightest set up I have seen and good for high psi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Is it reflective? If so, check your laws about blue, since it could be illegal (due to confusion with police vehicles).
    It is not.