turtles make me hot

Riding With Flats In The Cold

I'm sure I've mentioned many times that I ride Crank Bros Mallets on all of my bikes year round. I have Lake 303's and some Sidis for varying degrees of coldness.
    So... I know what I like but my fourteen year old son rides flats. This will be the first winter he's going to venture out on very cold and snowy rides so I need to outfit him.
    What are you guys that ride with flat pedals wearing for boots?

He's a big kid, 6 feet tall, 205 pounds and probably size 12 feet so adult shoe sizes apply.
    I like turtles

aka bOb
    Keens work well for me but they don't mesh well with all pedals. In WI so fairly cool weather.

since 4/10/2009
    I just wear whatever boots I find comfortable on my feet and for the conditions. Boot-pedal traction is never quite as good as with summer shoes, but it's well enough to work.

Currently, my remaining boots are a little worse for wear (not from riding in, either from age or from hard outdoor work) and I'll need to get some replacements soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Bog boots

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The best part of winter riding is switching from five tens to my bates gx8 gore side zip. Less grip than five ten, but the vulcanized sole grips well enough. I like the ankle and shin protection and find in certain situations I can squeeze the crank to control the bike like on a moto. I shred the soles after about a season but thatís about how often i rotate a new pair in for work.
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

mtbr member
    I have some hiking boots with 200g of Thinsulate. I have riden down to near zero for about an hour and a half. Feet were cold at the end. If I were to buy again it would be 400g hiking boots. Cabelas have some with boa closures (Snow Runner) that got good reviews. Those are lighter than the laced version. If I did a multi hour ride in single digits I would throw on my 1,000g hunting boots.
    Last edited by BlueCheesehead; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:08 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sorels are the gold standard here. The ones with the wool-liner.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

turtles make me hot
    Thanks, Fellas.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I use a pair of 5-10 Freerider High-tops for most riding here in Minnesota. I bought them a half-size larger to accommodate a carbon foot warmer insole. If itís too cold for those shoes I have a good pair of Keeneís that work well too, but if its too cold for the 5-10ís...I just donít ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    L.L. Bean snow sneakers with velcro closures. Good to single digits. Not much more in my experience YMMV.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
    L.L. Bean snow sneakers with velcro closures. Good to single digits. Not much more in my experience YMMV.
    Whoa! Those look awesome. I happen to be going to Freeport Maine this month. He'll be able to try em on. Thanks!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    In winter on flats I wear Salomon winter hikers. Lightweight, waterproof and warm. Got them for under $100 at REI a couple years ago.

All fat, all the time.
    Waterproof, insulated, and wool socks treat me pretty well. If it gets cold cold, I'll toss in some toe warmers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Vasque Arrowhead. A bit pricey for non-cycling specific winter boots (maybe $115) but they're ideal for winter fatbiking: lightweight, plenty warm, waterproof, have a flat sole that works well with pedals and have a narrower heel that won't hit chainstays. They are designed for snowshoeing so they feel a bit like running shoes and have nicely flexible ankles. I've ridden them down to sub zero without issue. Note: I have good circulation and my feet rarely get cold.