This place needs an enema

A ride, recently: Out of our box.

We took advantage of strategically timed holidays from work to step outside of our normal routine and into someone else's.

The region to which we traveled is considerably lower in elevation, a little colder in temperature, and much shorter on snow than our backyard.

Which meant that we got to experience a certain sort of variety, with trails packed firm enough to run more than 5psi in our tires. Unaccountable luxury right there, and we both noticed and were thankful for it.

Every few hours I like to check in with Jeny, to ask if everything is working OK on her bike. She doesn't want me to have to wrench when on vacation, which means sometimes her shifting will be mis-indexing or her brakes schinging, but she won't say a word. Which is considerate, but it doesn't make the bike work the way it should.

So I'll just ask, usually with a semi-specific question that opens the topic in such a way that she can feel free to answer more generally. And although I can't remember how I phrased that question ~mid-way through this ride, I remember her laughing out loud while commenting that her bike was perfect, and that the riding was so easy (translation: the trails so well packed) that you could run any pressure at all and not even need to think about it.

We don't often encounter such conditions mid-winter, and it was both noteworthy and super enjoyable to exist in someone else's reality for a spell.

Thanks for checkin' in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I love reading your posts like this and the pictures are always amazing. thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Some real quality photography there . It also helps to have outstanding surroundings.

rth009
    May 2010
    Are you expressly withholding the location of this ride? Or do I lack reading comprehension skills?

Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Are you expressly withholding the location of this ride? Or do I lack reading comprehension skills?

Withholding. It was shared with me by locals. It's not my place to put the location out there for the wider world. The point is to inspire stoke, so that you might go looking for a hidden gem in your own backyard.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Meanwhile, on the east coast, mud, and slop, and 40F, 20F, 35F, 32F, 55F, 18F, 40F.

Thanks, it's nice to see snow, even if it's not here, if only so I can cling to the memory of it's existence in the world....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Meanwhile, on the east coast, mud, and slop, and 40F, 20F, 35F, 32F, 55F, 18F, 40F.

Thanks, it's nice to see snow, even if it's not here, if only so I can cling to the memory of it's existence in the world....
    Define "east coast"? LOL
    Just north of Boston MA....got perfect dirt around me...but snow 35 minutes away....
    That may change tomorrow....or not

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'm in the "snow shadow" of central upstate NY.

Too far south to get reliable "lake effect" from Ontario, too far east to get it off Erie, and too far inland to get coastal slammers.

Yeah, we'd have great hero dir conditions, were it not for the persistent dropping of 2" snow, followed by three days above freezing and rain, pretty much every other day.

So we get mud. Lots, of, mud.

Fortunately, our trails aren't fragile, and thus, heal pretty much immediately, as they have for 30 years, so we ride in whatever we're given, but man, is freaking winter, just too much to ask for anymore?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    I'm on Long Island and so far, zero snow. Thanks for the pics of snow, Mike.
    I like turtles

Thingamejigger
    As always, great shots!

Is your better half wearing the Bontrager OMW pants, Mike? How are they working out, I have a pair of Jack Wolfskin pants with fleece lining and inbuilt gaiter, but they wont last forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    As always, great shots!

Is your better half wearing the Bontrager OMW pants, Mike? How are they working out, I have a pair of Jack Wolfskin pants with fleece lining and inbuilt gaiter, but they wont last forever?

We've both been assimilated -- both wearing OMW jackets, pants, and boots. They are awesome -- really well thought out for the specifics of winter riding.

I am so damn envious of "kids these days" whom don't know how good they have it with bikes, tires, and all the needed accoutrements to ride comfortably all winter long! It took hours of every week to research, source, and cobble stuff together back in the '90's when I first started doing this, and lots more time spent cutting, sewing and altering things to make them work better. Sure it was fun and rewarding to do that, but it's also pretty dang fun to not have to stress the details, and spend the time riding instead!