mtbr member

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-31.jpg

Hello,

Before I start a little back story and a short FAQ to answer a few of your upcoming questions.

Revoloop is a german company that makes super light tubes for various kinds of bikes.

In january they started producing prototypes of a fat tire tube for 4 to 5 inch fat tires.

The original prototyp was black and weighted around 155 grams.
    Those blue 140 grams prototypes are "factory prototypes"

That means they are pretty much the product that will come to the market later or at least very close to it.

Revoloop gave a few of these prototyps to different fat bikers including myself.

I'm testing them on 4 inch Schwalbe Jumbo Jim tires and I will update my experience here every one ore two days.

So far I have ridden them for around 150 kilometers, but more to that below.

The FAQ

>Who makes them?
    The name of the company is Revoloop
    https://revoloop.com/#emotion--start

>Is the weight accurate?
    All of my 3 test tubes are very accurate to the 140g weight claim.

>When will they available in store?
    Around the middle or end of march

>How much will they cost?
    1 tube will be about 25 Euro

>Do you work for Revoloop?
    No, I'm just a tester.

>Is this tube more duarble?
    Not sure, I would say they are about the same as durable like any other tube. The tires are more important when it comes to puncture protection.

>Are they repairable?
    Yes, you will see below on my test report.

>How much weight did you save?
    Exactly 500 grams! I was using Schwalbe tubes befor which can be off around 50 grams of the claimed weight.

>Do they feel different?
    Absolutely! Not just the weight. You can drive with even lower pressure and with less of the annoying self steering effect.

>Why is the valve stem not in the middle?
    The factory prototypes are made by hand while the finished product later will be made by machinery.
    From what my contract told me, it is hard to make them perfect when build by hand.

>No schrader valve?
    I hope they will make them too. I prefer them over the french fries.

>What else?
    With this tube it is somehow easier to properly beat the tire on the rim.

Now to my experience so far.

I've got 3 of these tubes sent to me by Revoloop.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-33.jpg

I was really pleased when I saw the weight compared to my old Schwalbe 13J tubes.
    It saved my a whopping 500 grams on the wheels

My new tubes
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-34.jpg

My old tubes
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-40.jpg

When installing the tubes you need to put them on before the tires or else you will not be able to get them on the rim.
    Even in low pressure the Revoloop tubes will become really tight.
    I don't find this unpleasant, in fact it was way easier, than the normal way.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-35.jpg

The super long french valve stem is a bummer.
    But I have my trusty adapter.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-36.jpg

On the first meters I could already feel the difference.
    Super light rolling, less self steering even in lower pressure.
    NOTE: To get the same low pressure feeling you actually need to drive them with less pressure.
    Before the revoloop tubes my setup was 10 psi in front and 7,2 psi in the back. ( 0,7 bar and 0,5 bar )
    I am riding now about 7,5 psi in front and 5,8 psi in the back.
    ( 0,51 bar and 0,4 bar )
    NOTE: I tried to drive them down to 2 psi which works. Even at this low pressure the tire still holds strong onto the rim.

My first ride was around 45 kilomters in a surface mine and the woods.
    With lots of thorns, sand, thorns, broken glas, thorns...did I mentioned thorns already? Seriously this stuff is everywhere.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-37.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-38.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-39.jpg

I was pretty pleased how my bike behave now thanks to the tubes.
    There is a short super steep hill there which always gave me trouble.
    Now it's a different story
    I test climbed that hill a few times and each time gave me a big smile.

For the next few days I made short 20 kilometer rides, but than it happend!

Thorns! God damn thorns
    I got a puncture, both in front and in the back.
    And there is no official repair tool for Revoloop tube.

But I am a persistent guy. I used standard tube patches which worked, but only for one day.
    So instead of using the glue that came with my patch box I used superglue from the DIY market.
    And it worked flawlessly. I didn't used the sandpaper, because it has pretty much no effect on the Revoloop tubes.
    The repaired tubes hold the air without any issues.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-41.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-43.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-44.jpg

That is my experience so far.
    I will keep test rideing them and update my status.
    If you have any question feel free to ask.

Cheers!
    Last edited by OneTrustMan; 03-01-2018 at 04:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've gone tubeless and I'm not going back. But, I see one of these ending up in my pack to replace the Schwalbe I carry now. Looks like it'll be a great option for people using tubes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
    I've gone tubeless and I'm not going back. But, I see one of these ending up in my pack to replace the Schwalbe I carry now. Looks like it'll be a great option for people using tubes too.
    Good choice!
    They are more compact than the Schwalbe tubes.REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-32.jpg

Anchorage, AK
    Awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --Peace

FB&H rider
    Yup; i have a mongoose at the bottom of my pack. I'd be happy to shell out $25 to shed 250 grams.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for sharing this info. They look quite promising.

mtbr member
    You're welcome

mtbr member
    What material are they made from?

Looks like a small hole could be repaired by careful application of a soldering iron.

I'll buy a set when they come out.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    They are made of thermoplastic synthetic material.
    Revoloop makes 3 kinds of tubes.

The light weighted light blue, the more durable dark blue and the black tubes for downhill.
    But, I don't know if this fat tubes will be aviable in all 3 versions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    why using tubes, when you can do tubeless?

mtbr member
    Not every rim is suited for tubeless D:
    And if you have a durable tire you won't need it anyway.
    I will switch to Maxxis Minion tires.

The other test drivers claimed that the feeling these Revoloop tubes give are the same how tubeless feels.
    I have not any experience with tubeless so I can't tell, but it would explain the difference that I felt on even the first meters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are they compatible with any sealants, and if so which ones? I'm going to Ladakh in July and there are *lots* of thorns there. The tubes are interesting but maybe tubeless would be better; I've yet to build the wheels so no idea how much of a pain seating TL might be, after flights, etc.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Are they compatible with any sealants, and if so which ones? I'm going to Ladakh in July and there are *lots* of thorns there. The tubes are interesting but maybe tubeless would be better; I've yet to build the wheels so no idea how much of a pain seating TL might be, after flights, etc.
    If you build tubeless rims, you set the tires, do all the normal stuff, but let the tire pressure out for the flight so you can pack them easier, keep them on the rims and the bead locked, then you just air it up with your standard pump.

I've dug out many thorns and goat-heads (really, should have just left in place) where the tire sealed up just fine and tubeless is awesome in thorn-country, provided you have fresh/enough sealant. You just ride along and you never even realize that you got all these thorns. When it came out and became reliable, it was a paradigm shift for people in the Southwest.

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-01dbe60c1842222c9477e48e9acb5a013193642799.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-015a2f23e3ccb4daf4c2b322403ef91ce3226ca946.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-015b9dc8b155d48a80feb9ca42d7e29f4f8778250f.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    Looks like a good lightweight option for the spare in the backpack. I'll stick with tubeless for normal riding.

mtbr member
    That's some nasty thorns.
    The same where I live. Those damn thorns are everywhere.
    I never had a puncture on Maxxis tires, but a few on the Schwalbe ones.

Maybe I will try out tubeless this year und use the light Revoloop tubes as a spare in my package.

mtbr member
    Good idea!
    They are really light and compact so you won't need much space for them.

mtbr member
    Today's tour on the local mountains I had lots of very steep, rocky and frozen climbs.
    And I can't be more thankful to how much better it feels on these climbs when having lighter wheels

All the fallen trees aside I had a blast.
    Still no issues with the tubes

Honesty there is not much to do for me anymore other than riding and having fun.

I still think for people who don't like tubeless, or can't use it,
    because of the rims this is a real option.

Cheers, everyone

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-45.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-46.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-47.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-48.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks guys. I got at least seven(!) punctures in the lightweight front tyre plus two in the Schwalbe Marathon XR rear simultaneously last time I was near Leh, then more most days after that. There are these hideous thorn bushes they use on top of stone walls instead of barbed wire, and sometimes bits of them (or just the thorns) end up on the road. I'll go with tubeless, but will take some of the 140g tubes as emergency spares if they're available in time.

mtbr member
    Subscribed.
    I run tubeless, but I wll buy one to keep in my pack.
    Is this where I write something witty?

Human Test Subject
    Have you tried these in other sizes? I still need tubes on my road and commuter bikes.

I've read claims that thermoplastic tubes feel as good as latex, have low rolling resistance like latex, set strava PRs for you while you're still on the couch, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Have you tried these in other sizes? I still need tubes on my road and commuter bikes.

I've read claims that thermoplastic tubes feel as good as latex, have low rolling resistance like latex, set strava PRs for you while you're still on the couch, etc.
    No I haven't, but the claims in my opinion are true, because I could feel it on my Fatbike too.
    Last edited by OneTrustMan; 02-26-2018 at 03:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    why using tubes, when you can do tubeless?

Twice so far this winter Iíve aired my rear tire down so much Iíve peeled it off the rim. The conditions were not much fun to ride in and maybe that wouldnít have happened with tubeless wheels, Iím not sure? I doubt it though as Iíve aired tubeless down to the point where they started leaking sealant out around the bead. If I blow a bead Iíd much rather being dealing with a tube than a wet, messy tubeless tire and trying to reseat it with my small bike pump.
    Last edited by Snowfat; 02-26-2018 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Twice so far this winter Iíve aired my rear tire down so much Iíve peeled it off the rim. The conditions were not much fun to ride in and maybe that wouldnít have happened with tubeless wheels, Iím not sure? I doubt it though as Iíve aired tubeless down to the point where they started leaking sealant out around the bead. If I blow a bead Iíd much rather being dealing with a tube than a wet, messy tubeless tire and trying to reseat it with my small bike pump.
    Whats your rim size?
    I heard wider rim size is better for super low air pressure.
    Anyway, right now the are some guys in the german forum who try tubeless sealant on the revoloop tubes.
    I think I will give it a try too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    These tubes look promising. I am a firm believer on tubeless for my HT and full-squish MTBs but the whole fat bike thing with 4.0 tires is new to me. Just bought a fat bike, tubed with Surly Nate's, and this past weekend I got out both days to ride. First day I had too much psi, somewhere around 10-12 lbs. Next day lowered them a lot, using my gauge on the pump which I know will be very inaccurate at low pressures, but believe I was running 3-4 lbs front and 5 lbs rear. Traction was unbelievable on fully snow covered trails. Wheels are 80mm wide rims and no chance of upgrading those right now.

I would like to run tubeless but fear running as low as 3 lbs tubeless is going to cause issues. Am I right thinking that at that low of pressure, tubes are going to be more appropriate? If that is correct, than these tubes would be great for lowering rotational weight while running low pressure with tubes. My intent for this fat bike is winter riding on snow covered trails which to me indicates low tire pressures. I have my other MTBs for summer, non-snow trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    These tubes look promising. I am a firm believer on tubeless for my HT and full-squish MTBs but the whole fat bike thing with 4.0 tires is new to me. Just bought a fat bike, tubed with Surly Nate's, and this past weekend I got out both days to ride. First day I had too much psi, somewhere around 10-12 lbs. Next day lowered them a lot, using my gauge on the pump which I know will be very inaccurate at low pressures, but believe I was running 3-4 lbs front and 5 lbs rear. Traction was unbelievable on fully snow covered trails. Wheels are 80mm wide rims and no chance of upgrading those right now.

I would like to run tubeless but fear running as low as 3 lbs tubeless is going to cause issues. Am I right thinking that at that low of pressure, tubes are going to be more appropriate? If that is correct, than these tubes would be great for lowering rotational weight while running low pressure with tubes. My intent for this fat bike is winter riding on snow covered trails which to me indicates low tire pressures. I have my other MTBs for summer, non-snow trail riding.
    I also run 4 inch tires on 80 mm rims.
    My lowest setup was about 4.3 lbs.
    It felt really mushy, but even with agressive cornering I could not get the tire of the rim.

The thing is that those thermoplastic tubes are pressing the tire better onto the rim than normal tubes.
    So maybe its possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    I also run 4 inch tires on 80 mm rims.
    My lowest setup was about 4.3 lbs.
    It felt really mushy, but even with agressive cornering I could not get the tire of the rim.

The thing is that those thermoplastic tubes are pressing the tire better onto the rim than normal tubes.
    So maybe its possible.
    Cool and thanks. I really need to get a presta low pressure gauge to know what accurate pressures I'm running and then can repeat versus the squeeze and guess method based upon initial tire pump gauge "readings". Running on full snow coverage, the low pressures don't seem as pinch-flat daunting as would be if there was exposed, rocky trail.

I'll be on the look-out for these tubes in a couple weeks. Would be nice to know if they are planning on distribution methods in the US and these tubes will be available from typical cycling vendors online or offline.

BTW, thank you for doing a nice review with continual updates!

mtbr member
    Cool and thanks. I really need to get a presta low pressure gauge to know what accurate pressures I'm running and then can repeat versus the squeeze and guess method based upon initial tire pump gauge "readings". Running on full snow coverage, the low pressures don't seem as pinch-flat daunting as would be if there was exposed, rocky trail.

I'll be on the look-out for these tubes in a couple weeks. Would be nice to know if they are planning on distribution methods in the US and these tubes will be available from typical cycling vendors online or offline.

BTW, thank you for doing a nice review with continual updates!
    I will ask my contract about the overseas shipping to the US.
    This week I will test for you how much low pressure they can handle.
    Still, bigger tires are always better for super low pressure. ;D
    Sadly my bike is limited to 4 inch :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ran tubes similar to these on a 36" Muni, they work, but there were a fair number of valve-tube interface failures. Of course they are tubes, so they don't self seal.

You can run a Maxxis Welterweight tube for a 3" tire, they only weigh 150-200gms, cheaper and lighter, good as a back up tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I will ask my contact about the overseas shipping to the US.
    This week I will test for you how much low pressure they can handle.
    Awesome on both counts!

Sadly my bike is limited to 4 inch :P
    Same here, at least for the rear tire on mine. But, I could always go 1x, ditching the front derailleur and reportedly get a 4.5" in there without rubbing. It's only money and can one really put a price on fun? I'm sure my wife would have something to say about that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are these likely to be available from German online sellers like bike24.com, etc? That would be the easiest & cheapest way for me to get hold of them. And also, can anyone recommend any suitable gauges fow low pressures? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    can anyone recommend any suitable gauges fow low pressures? Thanks!
    I'm in the same boat and do not have a direct recommendation for you... but I'm looking for myself.

I can tell you that you will want one that measures no more than 0 - 15 psi. Gauges that measures 0 - 30 psi will not be very accurate for low pressures. I can also tell you that using a Schrader 0 - 15 psi gauge on a Presta valve with Presta-to-Schrader adapter will not work for low pressures. I have a Schrader 0 - 15 psi gauge I use for my low pressure ATV tires and tried it... didn't register any pressure.

mtbr member
    I will ask.
    I'm looking right now at this gauge here.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meiser-Ac...e/222000597371
    Think I will buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The same seller also has 0-15 psi gauges, but freight to Oz is almost as much as a gauge. :-(

I wonder if any of the digital gauges are any good? I could possibly include one in an order ex-Europe, making freight close to zero.

mtbr member
    The same seller also has 0-15 psi gauges, but freight to Oz is almost as much as a gauge. :-(

I wonder if any of the digital gauges are any good? I could possibly include one in an order ex-Europe, making freight close to zero.
    The Schwalbe Airmax Pro is also for fat bikes.
    I will try the Airmax out first and give you my opinion about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I will ask.
    I'm looking right now at this gauge here.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meiser-Ac...e/222000597371
    Think I will buy it.
    This one would be better for low pressures, same gauge maker, just more accurate on lower pressures - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meiser-Pr...oAAOSw0W5aR---

Those same gauges can be had via Amazon too. Not sure what the arrangement would be to purchase/ship to Auzzy land.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ My last experience with Amazon was ugly. The freight wasn't listed and I almost hit the roof when the invoices arrived via email, and had to cancel. At least with ePay you know what you're up for up front.

@OneTrustMan: If you can comment on the Schwalbe gauge that would be great! I might be able to get one of those. ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Here's an old, but seemingly still relevant thread discussing low pressure gauges. Be aware there is a mix of discussion of Schrader and Presta as well as some saying to use gauges that measure 0 - 150 psi. But everything I've always learned about low pressure gauges is to get the lowest ones, 0-15 psi, for the best accuracy.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/bes...ge-706325.html

I'm probably going to buy the presta version of the Meiser Accu-Gage 0 - 15 psi. As mentioned earlier, I do have the Schrader 0 - 15 psi gauge and that one is a Meiser Accu-Gage and has worked very well/accurate even in low temps of the Colorado high country.

mtbr member
    Here's an old, but seemingly still relevant thread discussing low pressure gauges. Be aware there is a mix of discussion of Schrader and Presta as well as some saying to use gauges that measure 0 - 150 psi. But everything I've always learned about low pressure gauges is to get the lowest ones, 0-15 psi, for the best accuracy.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/bes...ge-706325.html

I'm probably going to buy the presta version of the Meiser Accu-Gage 0 - 15 psi. As mentioned earlier, I do have the Schrader 0 - 15 psi gauge and that one is a Meiser Accu-Gage and has worked very well/accurate even in low temps of the Colorado high country.
    Good coice!
    Going for the 0 -15 PSI makes sense.
    I still will try the Schwalbe Airmax first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Whats your rim size?
    I heard wider rim size is better for super low air pressure.
    Anyway, right now the are some guys in the german forum who try tubeless sealant on the revoloop tubes.
    I think I will give it a try too.
    Iím running 100mm wheels but they lack any type of safety beads so the tires donít lock onto the wheels very well at low pressures. The 2XL tires Iím running also seem to be a looser fit than other tires Iíve run on these wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Iím running 100mm wheels but they lack any type of safety beads so the tires donít lock onto the wheels very well at low pressures. The 2XL tires Iím running also seem to be a looser fit than other tires Iíve run on these wheels.
    If the rim an tire is too loose fit it can even then be problems if the tube is not wide enough. At low pressure it can make the tire to jump off.
    I would recommend to use a 24" split tube and build up the rim with some light material, so you can get it tubeless.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Good stuff!

I saw the prototype Schwalbe Aerotothans back in the day. Same weight as above, but not on the market:
    https://www.google.no/search?q=schwa...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I run tubeless, of course (with no sealant in some tires and maximum 1 Stans Cup (60ml, 60 grams) in the biggest ones, so way lighter than any tube.)
    However, I do carry a tube at all times: a 2.2-2.4'' rated 206 gram tube that will inflate even my (pretty much) 6'' 315mm (bead-bead) tires (they have close to 60% more volume than f.ex. Bud/Lou) without bursting.
    I remember from the Schwalve Aerothan presentation that the tire and tube had to be well matched since those tubes stretch way less than butyl (or latex).

For skinny tires (4.8 and below), my emergency tube is the Schwalbe 13F.
    184 grams.

The 140 gram tube will save weight vs. both, but will also occupy more space. Question is if it will fit in the pocket of a standard jersey?
    I usually place the tube, a (cah-bon) Lezyne Mini HV pump and two energy bars in my center back pocket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Good stuff!

I saw the prototype Schwalbe Aerotothans back in the day. Same weight as above, but not on the market:
    https://www.google.no/search?q=schwa...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I run tubeless, of course (with no sealant in some tires and maximum 1 Stans Cup (60ml, 60 grams) in the biggest ones, so way lighter than any tube.
    However, I do carry a tube at all times: a 2.2-2.4'' rated 206 gram tube that will inflate even my (pretty much) 6'' 315mm (bead-bead) tires (they have close to 60% more volume than f.ex. Bud/Lou) without bursting.
    I remember from the Schwalve Aerothan presentation that the tire and tube had to be well matched since those tubes stretch way less than butyl (or latex).

For skinny tires (4.8 and below), my emergency tube is the Schwalbe 13F.
    184 grams.

The 140 gram tube will save weight vs. both, but will also occupy more space. Question is if it will fit in the pocket of a standard jersey?
    I usually place the tube, a (cah-bon) Lezyne Mini HV pump and two energy bars in my center back pocket.
    Maybe that will help you
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-32a.jpg

mtbr member
    @OneTrustMan: If you can comment on the Schwalbe gauge that would be great! I might be able to get one of those. ;-)
    I ordered one at the bike24 shop and also bought a small bottle of Schwalbe Doc blue tubeless sealant with it.
    The doc blue sealant can be used on normal tubes too.
    So I'm curious if it will work on the revoloop tubes.

My contract told me not to expect much, because the thermoplastic material and tubeless sealant don't like each other much ( chemical wise )

Imma still gonna try it anyway
    Kekeke

mtbr member
    Are these likely to be available from German online sellers like bike24.com, etc? That would be the easiest & cheapest way for me to get hold of them. And also, can anyone recommend any suitable gauges fow low pressures? Thanks!
    I think no.
    I could not find any other online shop who sells their products besides their own website.
    Also my contract said they will provide shipping to the US, but they can't promise that it will be at the time these tubes come to the market.

mtbr member
    Update!

Today the Schwalbe Airmax and the Doc Blue tubeless sealant arrived.

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-49.jpg

And maaaaan am I pleased with the Airmax.

I don't know what's more stunning.
    The fact how well and easy it works.
    Or that a lot people who bought it are not able to understand how to use it.

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-50.jpg

Put simple

On = Hold button
    Select unit = Press button ( can also switch after result )
    Clear Measurement = Hold button until you can see CLE on the display
    Off = Hold button until you can see OFF on the display
    or just wait a minute

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-51.jpg
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-52.jpg

About the pressure.
    I measured the tire pressure over and over to see if the measurement is accurate. And yes, it is very accurate even on low pressure.
    NOTE: For the best result you need to press it fast and strong on the valve.
    After you have the result you can use the button to switch the units so you can see what the measurement is in bar for example.

I measured it lbs ( psi )
    And the answer if the Airmax is any good for fat tires is absolutely yes!
    The Airmax can measure pressure down to 2,5 psi

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-53.jpg

As promised I set up the front and rear tire pressure down to 3 lbs
    and will make my test ride now.

I will test the Doc Blue sealant this weekend.

Cheers!
    Last edited by OneTrustMan; 03-01-2018 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Same here, at least for the rear tire on mine. But, I could always go 1x, ditching the front derailleur and reportedly get a 4.5" in there without rubbing. It's only money and can one really put a price on fun? I'm sure my wife would have something to say about that.
    If you can comment on the Schwalbe gauge that would be great! I might be able to get one of those. ;-)
    Alright. I'm done testing and did go even lower than 3 psi
    It looks like that the limit of the Airmax is about 2,0 - 2,5 psi.
    At this pressure the Airmax can give you a result, but it can also not.
    I tried about 2 psi in front and rear with heavy breaking and cornering.
    ( I locked up my fork for better experience )
    Both tires still hold properly onto the rims and didn't show any sign of popping out of the rims. It felt really mushy though.

REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-55.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-56.jpg

But after about 6 kilometers I did change it back to 6 psi on both tires.
    First, there is no need to ride in this low pressure without any snow.

And second, my lower back started to hurt, because of the heavy pedal bob from the rear tire.
    I have already back issues, so I'm not gonna force my luck too much.

Still I hope my little test helps you out.

This little fella approved it though
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-57.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Cool and thanks for doing that.

But yeah, I would not ride real low pressure unless you were riding somewhere that had 100% snow coverage. To me, 100% snow coverage does not mean 1-3" of snow over dirt/rock/roots it should be a nice base of snow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks very much! I'll try to find one of the Schwalbe gauges. ;-) I'm unlikely to ride on snow here in Oz as it's 500km away (and I'm an XC skier anyway, so wouldn't want to waste valuable skiing time) so ultra-low pressures won't be happening; I'm surprised 2psi works at all.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much! I'll try to find one of the Schwalbe gauges. ;-) I'm unlikely to ride on snow here in Oz as it's 500km away (and I'm an XC skier anyway, so wouldn't want to waste valuable skiing time) so ultra-low pressures won't be happening; I'm surprised 2psi works at all.
    Yeah me too. Even with the pressure this low the tire was not coming off one bit.
    I guess it is true what my contract said, that these tubes hold the tires better than normal ones.

mtbr member
    seems like beatiful option for winter... the weight might be not so important for winter, but low-pressure capability sure is, and regular tubes are too loose on low with tire or valve easily snapping off.

had dozens of rides ruined by tire or sealant combination this winter where tire did not seal and required to stop and pump from zero over and over, so it was more like pumping then riding. once I was not even able to pump it back (tubeless tire and tubeless carbon rim ffs!), so was walking home. for some reason some tires or sealants just dont seal in freezing temperatures, burping to zero pressure quickly, and subject looks like perfect solution for that.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Glad you like it.
    The tubeless sealant into the tubes test will not come I'm afraid.
    Some other guy already did this test and the result was really bad.

It simply will not work I guess, so I will switch to Maxxis Minion tires.
    But not this winter, since it is already over.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    A little Update!

Looks like it will take another 6 - 8 weeks before the tubes will be available.
    Revoloop also works on a proper repair kit and maybe some sealant for the tubes.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Another Update!
    The new Revoloop series won't be blue anymore, because they had trouble with the blue color PU material causing micro holes.
    They will be white to get a rid of that problem.

And it looks like Revoloop will make plus size tubes too.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-2251507-m4x66lzwc9u0-20180322_211912-medium.jpgREVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-2251508-ym6uyik36f52-20180322_212018-medium.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not really plus as 60mm is ~2.35", not 2.6-3.0". I notice these are 559 & 622, not 584 - will they be coming too, or might the 559 tubes stretch enough to fit?

mtbr member
    I think they will stretch out.
    But I will ask just in case.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks! I'm wondering if the 559 tube might fit either 42-54*584 or maybe 65-75*584. For the former it would need to stretch along the circumference by a small amount, while for the latter it'd need to stretch everywhere (perhaps not so likely). I don't suppose there's any way to test before they become available, whenever that might be; I assume it won't be before summer, once the delivery dates slip a couple more times. :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Since it is recommended to mount the tube before the tire it may not be a good idea to try and stretch it to 584. In one picture it looks like the tube is tight to the rim with a fair amount of air.

Thanks! I'm wondering if the 559 tube might fit either 42-54*584 or maybe 65-75*584. For the former it would need to stretch along the circumference by a small amount, while for the latter it'd need to stretch everywhere (perhaps not so likely). I don't suppose there's any way to test before they become available, whenever that might be; I assume it won't be before summer, once the delivery dates slip a couple more times. :-(
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    I may look into these when they are a bit more available.

I just put Maxxis Ultralight tubes in my Stolen Zeke. 115 grams each in 26 x 1.9-2.1
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    My contact from Revoloop just confirmed that the white tubes are for 3.0 inch wide tires.
    The date of release is on may....or so I hope :I

mtbr member
    The Fat Tire Tube is now aviable.
    Not sure if they ship to every country.
    https://revoloop.com/fatbike/revoloo....blue-fat?c=33

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just tried to order. No stock for ~14 days, and they'll only send to Germany or Austria; they're the only countries listed on their form at checkout. :-(

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that.
    I will ask my contact about it.
    Which country are you from?

mtbr member
    Ok, I was told that the shipping to other european countries will be available soon.
    Not sure about the US.
    Also the the fat tubes are white now, not blue.
    The blue paint was causing mirco holes.
    Theire website will be updated soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sorry to hear that.
    I will ask my contact about it.
    Which country are you from?
    I'm in Australia, so shipping to elsewhere in Europe unfortunately won't help. I was going to get some other size tubes too. :-(

Also, are the tubes able to be patched? - I didn't see anything about that on their site.

mtbr member
    The tubes can easily be patched with normal tube patches and some DIY super glue.
    I used this glue here.
    REVIEW: The 140g Super light Revoloop Fat tire tubes-glue.jpg
    https://www.panzerfux.de/Loctite-Sup...=4015000417136

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks! Let's hope they decide to ship more widely, or else sell to companies who will.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The tubes can easily be patched with normal tube patches and some DIY super glue.
    I used this glue here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glue.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	1197454
    https://www.panzerfux.de/Loctite-Sup...=4015000417136
    Superglue is not flexible. This does not seem like a good idea.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    It worked pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The site shows them as unavailable.
    Do you have any updates on these?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohfugit View Post
    The site shows them as unavailable.
    Do you have any updates on these?

Thank you
    Well, I can't say for sure, but it looks like they didn't managed to get rid of that micro hole problem and got broke.
    There is no response from them anymore for a while.
    I switched to tubeless btw.