Return to Sand Mountain.- Mtbr.com
    Brass Nipples!

Return to Sand Mountain.

Sand mountain sits between the towns of St. George and Hurricane. Aptly named, it has a large amount of red sand from the nearby slickrock. It is mainly the domain of Jeeps and ATV's, but I've found it is a good winter fatbike ride when the sand is wet and cold. We had some rain last week, so I decided to ride from the northwest corner, along the south rim to the dunes in the middle of the mountain.

Climbing one of the steeper sand portions, I was looking at my Garmin GPS and it said the slope was 17 percent. It changed to 18 percent as I was watching which caused me to loose my concentration and spun out. I had to walk to the next slightly flatter area to get started again. I was glad I recently changed to my Mr. Whirly cranks and a 20 tooth chainring. 20x34 is a pretty low gear, but I'm still thinking I'll get the new Shimano 12x36 cassette for rides like this. The first picture shows the area where I wobbled to a stop and spun out. My GPS recorded 1200 feet of climb in the first two and a quarter miles, with 1900 feet of climb total in the 11 miles out and back.

There are expansive views on this ride, Zion NP is to the northeast, Sand Hollow is due north, Washington and St. George are to the west and Utah Hill is on the western horizon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return to Sand Mountain.-18-percent.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-lost-.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-looking-zion.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-sand-hollow.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-washington-view.jpg  

Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 01-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Brass Nipples!
    The next pictures show Little Creek which is due east beyond the dunes. The fourth picture is looking southeast into Warner Valley and the Hurricane Cliffs. This is near where the Dominguez Escalante trail descends off Sand Mtn. The last picture shows the view northwest toward the Ivins Red Hill and Square Top Mountain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return to Sand Mountain.-dunes.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-little-creek-view.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-dune-pano.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-southeast-view.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-beehives.jpg  

Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 01-10-2010 at 04:26 AM.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Brass Nipples!
    Another panoramic shot in the same direction with Pine Valley Mountain peeking over Sand Mountain.

I'm loving the Mr. Whirly cranks. I now have them on 2 of my bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Return to Sand Mountain.-beehive-pano.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-rides-end.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-mr-whirly.jpg  

Return to Sand Mountain.-203040.jpg  

Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 01-10-2010 at 04:23 AM.

Really I am that slow
    pretty! i've been meaning to take the shop pugs to that very spot...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wonderful shots, though it saddens me to hear that a place like that is
    mainly the domain of Jeeps and ATV's
    Places like that should be for non-motorised users only, IMO.

mtbr member
    fantastic scenery
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Luddite technophile
    Beautiful! Sitting up here in Salt Lake it's so nice to see some clean air.

But tell me more about this mythical 12x36 cassette - what level? When's it coming? Thanks.

Brass Nipples!
    Here's a big thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=491429. Looks like it's a new level "SLX" which is about the same as Deore. The cassette is quite heavy, but on a Pugsley, who's really counting grams?

Looking at the picture, it may be possible to take the cassette apart and mix the 36 tooth cog with a lighter 11-32 cassette (I have a bunch of left overs) and a 12 tooth outside position cog to get a lighter version with the same ratios. Buying the cassette for just the one cog would still be cheaper than a $65 Action Tec Ti cog.

An XT level 12-36 or 13-38 would be great. Maybe someday.

Luddite technophile
    thanks for the link. lots of stuff on that thread I had to skip over, but the option of lower gears is welcome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Great stuff!
    //Harri

jimfab

thumbsup

good call on the salsa 30/40T also! I really think that is the way to go, on any off road bike. If you could get that 36t in the back there would be little need for the small ring and you could still use a normal long cage derail????

I am planning a trip in early spring to the St. George / Gooseberry area for a riding vacation. Maybe i could get you to show me some good places to ride my pug.

Bob Dylan

NMBP
    Nice photos, Bob. What other trails have you ridden the Pugs on in the area? I have decided a Pugs will be my next bike, but I need to justify it to myself and my wallet.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfab
    good call on the salsa 30/40T also! I really think that is the way to go, on any off road bike. If you could get that 36t in the back there would be little need for the small ring and you could still use a normal long cage derail????

I am planning a trip in early spring to the St. George / Gooseberry area for a riding vacation. Maybe i could get you to show me some good places to ride my pug.

Bob Dylan
    I use the lowest gears a lot on the steep sandy stuff. I don't think I'd be able to loose the granny ring.

Let me know when you come down. I can give you some ride ideas.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Nice photos, Bob. What other trails have you ridden the Pugs on in the area? I have decided a Pugs will be my next bike, but I need to justify it to myself and my wallet.
    There are a lot of areas around Sand Mountain and Warner Valley. It's fun to just ride up washes and across the untracked desert. The areas I ride have had cattle run on them, so I'm not breaking up any virgin criptobiotic crust. I've also ridden Stucki Springs and up in the Northern Utah snow on the Pugs.

mtbr member
    Hi Bob, I am about to regear my pug also. I have a Mr.Whirly With 22-32-44 rings,
    11-34 casett, slx ft.der., and xt rear der. New set-up; 12-36 casett,and 20t chainring.
    Any Tips on this? Should I swap 32-44 out for 30-40 also? Thanks for any insight You may have.
    Awsome photos by the way, I am a desert fat biker also.
    Tom

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoran pug
    Hi Bob, I am about to regear my pug also. I have a Mr.Whirly With 22-32-44 rings,
    11-34 casett, slx ft.der., and xt rear der. New set-up; 12-36 casett,and 20t chainring.
    Any Tips on this? Should I swap 32-44 out for 30-40 also? Thanks for any insight You may have.
    Awsome photos by the way, I am a desert fat biker also.
    Tom
    I'd hate to waste the 32 and 44 rings, but you'll probably be happier with 20/30/40 if you can swing it.

44 x anything is a pretty big gear on a Pugs. 12-36 with a 24 tooth spread in front also has a greater "chain wrap capacity" than recommended for derailleurs I'm familiar with, but it could probably be made to work as long as you don't cross chain in the little ring (which you definitely don't want to do anyway).

Here's the Sheldon Brown thing on chain wrap: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers-rear.html

mtbr member
    great shots, fantastic scenery

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for posting your trip Bob! This ones on My list for sure! By the way, I also run a 20-34 low gear... on an old race face 5 arm mounted to a "Phil" square taper. Those red dunes sure look inviting. How did you fare in the open dunes? I saw that someone mentioned "to bad that area is open to motor vehicles"... Be carefull what you wish for!! Land that is managed by federal agencies that gets "closed to motor vehicles" is often closed to all "wheeled transport" including bicycles. the Sierra club and, here in Washington state, the Washington trail association, are dead set against tire tracks of any kind - including mt. bikes! In fact the WTA has a panel of attorneys working to close trails to bicycles(among other things) all over the state. The mt.bike "lobby" is so small and fragmented that around here we ally with the jeepers and motorcyclists to keep multiple use areas open to bicycles. Just a thought. Anyhow, planning a couple trips this year to the oregon dunes, all "fatties" are welcome to join me!!

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by ward
    Thanks for posting your trip Bob! This ones on My list for sure! By the way, I also run a 20-34 low gear... on an old race face 5 arm mounted to a "Phil" square taper. Those red dunes sure look inviting. How did you fare in the open dunes? I saw that someone mentioned "to bad that area is open to motor vehicles"... Be carefull what you wish for!! Land that is managed by federal agencies that gets "closed to motor vehicles" is often closed to all "wheeled transport" including bicycles. the Sierra club and, here in Washington state, the Washington trail association, are dead set against tire tracks of any kind - including mt. bikes! In fact the WTA has a panel of attorneys working to close trails to bicycles(among other things) all over the state. The mt.bike "lobby" is so small and fragmented that around here we ally with the jeepers and motorcyclists to keep multiple use areas open to bicycles. Just a thought. Anyhow, planning a couple trips this year to the oregon dunes, all "fatties" are welcome to join me!!
    Last year I rode the dunes and downhill was fun, level was hard and uphill was impossible. It was a little drier and warmer that time. At least for me, moisture level and temperature really makes a difference in the rideability of the same sand from ride to ride.

I agree that allowing responsible multiple use generally works out to be best for all. One of the nice things about Utah is there is enough open land that there are many pretty uncrowded places to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi Bob,
    What camera do you use? Nice pics BTW. Great scenery.

Al

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Gotta love Utah!

Members who have read this thread: 0