Request for assistance in Afghnistan.- Mtbr.com
    formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"

Request for assistance in Afghnistan.

Moderators please feel free to nuke this if they feel it is inappropriate, but many folks in the FatBike and 29'er forums (specifically) have expressed a desire to assist me in attempting to render the BSO's (Bicycle Shaped Objects) purchased at the local PX's by our deployed brothers and sisters at least safe, and if possible somewhat more comfortable to ride.

I have a good kit of (mostly Park) tools and, between them, my Leatherman, and a few rolls of Duct tape, I can handle just about any repair or adjustment necessary.

My wife is shipping me my Park TS-2 truing stand, and if anybody is of a mind to, a bench or wall mount work clamp would be a most excellent addition to our kit, and totally make my life more enjoyable while wrenching on these wretched wrecks.

The real _needs_ are as follows:

- Water bottles! All our potable water comes in tall, narrow, 0.5 Liter bottles that easily fall out of standard water bottle cages at the slightest bump.

- Grippy (metal) pedals with good teeth. The hard rubber platform pedals are completely unsuited for use under the hard soles of combat boots.

- Those Barney reflectors that everybody takes off their wheels, we actually _want_ them for our wheels! Being seen = (maybe) not getting run over by a LN driving a jingle truck.

- Rear Blinkies, again being seen = staying alive.

- Brake and shifter housing and cables. Since all these BSO's live outside year-round cables get rusty and housing get clogged w/ sand and shat.

- Tube Patch kits!

- Seats. Again these BSO's live outside year-round and the seats deteroirate in the sun _very_ quickly.

Anybody that is of a mind to assist in any way please PM me for a mailing address.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    PM sent

mtbr member

Some items on their way

When you get my tires I sent you, I also put in a saddle, grips, two sets of bar plugs, a clamp-on bottle cage (thought you or a friend could use that to fabricate something to help hold gear on your handlebar) and a 29r tube.

I have some of those items, my wife gets angry with my collection of waterbottles. Looks like I'll be sending you another box.

mtbr member
    PM sent. I have the bench mount park bike clamp covered among other items.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    you folks are AWESOME!

bikeboatbrewski
    Got some spare parts I can send ya. PM me with your mailing address.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    I also put in a saddle, grips, two sets of bar plugs, a clamp-on bottle cage (thought you or a friend could use that to fabricate something to help hold gear on your handlebar).
    YOU are what started this all!!! When I went strolling the camp, looking for a worthy recipient of the saddle and grips, I really started taking note and was shocked and dismayed at the condition of what I saw being riden. I really didn't notice these things while trying to free up frozen shifters and chains and such.

It's kinda funny, I set myself outside in the shade of the smokepit one day to work on _my_ bike and next thing I knew I'm wrenching on all these other wrecks people keep bringing me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Got your pm . What do you need most? I was going to sedn water bottles but what else should I throw in the box?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    YOU are what started this all!!! When I went strolling the camp, looking for a worthy recipient of the saddle and grips, I really started taking note and was shocked and dismayed at the condition of what I saw being riden. I really didn't notice these things while trying to free up frozen shifters and chains and such.

It's kinda funny, I set myself outside in the shade of the smokepit one day to work on _my_ bike and next thing I knew I'm wrenching on all these other wrecks people keep bringing me.
    Did you already get that package? If so USPS is awesome. They were really enthused about sending it. I'll be paying them another visit tomorrow. Looks like I only have about three or four fresh bottles never used (My wife tossed everything together, thought I had more). Snagged a bunch of fresh housing leftovers, decided to give you the other saddle I have as I have two other spare saddles I doubt will last in your environment. Also some 26" tubes that I can't use anymore. Cleaned out all of the reflectors I could find.

Also have a project for you - a set of Crankbrother 5150 flat pedals with screws in the platform. They are a bit loose in the bearings and somewhat rattle. They still work, but I could not dis-assemble them. Appear to work fine , I'm thinking there may have been some kind of plastic spacer that deteriorated at the inside end of the spindle, giving them about 1/16" of play. The pedals will not come off the spindle even when removing the endbolt, so they still look safe to use but just make a lot of racket from side-play. Maybe someone else reading this has experienced this and could chime in. Check 'em out, you probably don't need to do anything with them.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    Did you already get that package?

yep, about 4 dayas ago...

"SAM" (Space Available Mail) it is dirt cheap compared to Priority, even less than Parcel Post, and rarely adds much delay to the transit time... I've had packages shipped at the same time (by my wife) some Priority and some SAM, and they all showed up on the exact same day a week later. SAM just sucks when you get near the big holidays, Fathers Day, Memorial Day, Super bowl Sunday, Christmas, etc. because everything that is SAM gets sorted off the pallets in favor or Priority Mail first and then Parcel Post second. if there is any room left SAM gets on the pallet...

Thanks for everything!

I'll work on the pedals, and trhere are lots of folks in need of seats.

Wish I could post pictures without having to jump through 50 hoops, so you can see just what our folks are riding here.....

mtbr member

Package sent

Dropped off the second box today, forgot to ask a couple questions - any restrictions on shipping items like patch kits with tubes of glue, or blinkys with batteries in them?

Just remembered, I tossed a Cane Creek headset in the second box. It works, but made noise in my headtube. It was a free item the guy who made my bike gave to me when he forgot to order a headset for me. Bearings are fine, I believe the outside of one of the cups may be out of slightly out of round.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    Dropped off the second box today, forgot to ask a couple questions - any restrictions on shipping items like patch kits with tubes of glue, or blinkys with batteries in them?
    No worries about tubes of glue, chain lube, etc. the big concern on liquids is for certain potent potables than may be imbibed to cause inebriation. And of course anything that can muke a sudden "boom".

As far as installed batteries go, as long as it is not _vibrating_ the inspectors on my end will not blow it up. Yes, we actually have "suspicions packages" on occasion that are destroyed for vibrating, which can be embarrassing for the intended recipient. So if anybody sends any battery operated vibrating devices, the batteries should to be removed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

event water bottles?

(...)
    The real _needs_ are as follows:

- Water bottles! All our potable water comes in tall, narrow, 0.5 Liter bottles that easily fall out of standard water bottle cages at the slightest bump.
    (...)
    I think the perfect way to fill this need would be left over "event" water bottles, the kind that they give away to every participant. Many events must have extras that they would rather donate than destroy.

Another (not nearly as good) possibility is some kind of adjustable cage, maybe the Topeak Modula cage or the Salsa Anything cage. Unfortunately both of those are very expensive for water bottle cages, and would probably need to be donated by the vendors.

mtbr member
    Ok, Park bench mount stand on it's way. Also a few H2O bottles, some 29er tires, brake cables, a couple of stems and bars and grips and a saddle and post. Hope it makes it there ok! Thanks again for your service.
    Last edited by jfkbike2; 06-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    I'll be paying them another visit tomorrow.

Package arrived in good order.

I'm going to take the pedals over to the motorpool and see what I can dis-asseble/re-pack, etc.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    Ok, Park bench mount stand on it's way.
    Awesome!

I'm petitioning both the MWR and USO here to see if they would mind me setting up a small area outside to wrench on peoples bikes. (and a storage spot inside so I dont; need to lug all my crap back and forth) Once I get a location established I'll post some fliers on the doors of the various DFACS, inviting folks to bring me thier wrecks...,

mtbr member
    Sounds great, post some pictures for us all to see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Got some stuff to send

Anybody that is of a mind to assist in any way please PM me for a mailing address.
    I'm a new member and got this message.... "To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater."

Please PM me the mailing address!

mtbr member
    Package arrived in good order.

I'm going to take the pedals over to the motorpool and see what I can dis-asseble/re-pack, etc.
    Fantastic! Hope those work out for you.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    Another two boxes from TX and two from Florida.... Any more and I'll be ready to open a bicycle shop!

Seriously you folks have gone above and beyond the call. I'm likely to double the value of some of these bikes just by adding one or two components. you folks are sending some high-end-shat!

Actually got a little weepy-eyed, must be all the dust in the air.

mtbr member
    Keep us posted on what your "needs" are. Glad it made it there ok.

mtbr member

Water Bottles

Kudos to Tailwind LLC, a local race promoter I've known for years, who just gave me a case of 50 waterbottles, which I just mailed a half hour ago.

Enjoy!