mtbr member
    May 2018

Replacement BB for my Fatboy

Like many other owners have experienced, the PF30 BB on my 2017 specialized fatboy carbon comp is creaking/clicking badly and my LBS says I should replace it. And I really want to get rid of it because it is loud and very annoying when I ride! This is the bike I have:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fa...=208595-115478

With everything I've read, I do NOT want to replace it with another RaceFace PF30. I've read from other fatboy owners that they have had good success with BB's from Wheels Manufacturing.

My LBS said that this one from Wheels Mfg is not likely to fit because of a technical note about fat bikes on the Wheels Mfg web site that says:
    Note: Some cranks designed for 100mm BB shell widths and external bearings may not work, or may require additional spacers. Please see our FAT BIKE BB TECHPage for more information.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...-bb-black.html

Has anyone successfully replaced their fatboy BB with something other than RaceFace PF30 like from Wheels Mfg??? THANKS!
    Last edited by jt47906; 09-27-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I donít see how that linked BB would work, as it is not for fat bikes. I used wheels part # PF30-FAT-AC on my 2015 Fatboy SE, which is also PF30. I did have to buy extra 30 mm spindle spacers to make it work with the Samox cranks that came on my bike. It is a nice BB, and can be easily removed for service if it starts making noise. I used the spacers and a wave washer to get the correct preload on the bearings. I ordered 2 of each: 10 mm, 5 mm, 2.5 mm, and 1.8 mm spindle spacers to make it work. I had some left over that I didnít use.

mtbr member
    I had bad luck with Wheels Manufacturing PF30 BB used with a Race Face Cinch set up. I put a brand new screw together system. In 2 months, bearings were gritty and one so bad I could not free it up. I replaced the bearing and the same occurred in another 2 months. Granted I ride in muddy, nasty conditions here in Hawaii but was surprised that I had had so much problems with their bearings in no time and they said they would not replace/warranty them because of "corrosion". What? 2 months old? So I've gone to a Chris King and though it's pricey, I'm already 6 months into nasty conditions with 100's of miles on the thing. Anyway, just my input. I was so hoping the WM would work as it seemed like a great product. I'm sure other have had great luck with their product.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    I had bad luck with Wheels Manufacturing PF30 BB used with a Race Face Cinch set up. I put a brand new screw together system. In 2 months, bearings were gritty and one so bad I could not free it up. I replaced the bearing and the same occurred in another 2 months. Granted I ride in muddy, nasty conditions here in Hawaii but was surprised that I had had so much problems with their bearings in no time and they said they would not replace/warranty them because of "corrosion". What? 2 months old? So I've gone to a Chris King and though it's pricey, I'm already 6 months into nasty conditions with 100's of miles on the thing. Anyway, just my input. I was so hoping the WM would work as it seemed like a great product. I'm sure other have had great luck with their product.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I will wait and see if my LBS is able to get the WM to fit properly - they said they measured once before and weren't sure if they could make it work, and they are pretty exacting. If that doesn't work, I'm wondering if I should price out new cranks and chain ring and BB versus replacing the current BB with another raceface PF30. I really don't want to ever have to deal with this awful creak click again on my bike.

since 4/10/2009
    If it was me, I'd stick with a pf30 bb with external bearings to ensure that fitment remains consistent.

since your bike has RF cranks, it also appears that Wheels' tech page is showing RF cranks as being a no go with that BB.

I find that interesting, since RF doesn't say anything about that on their support page.

https://www.raceface.com/media/B1018...stallation.pdf

Frankly, I'd reach out to RaceFace on fitting that Wheels Mfg bb to your frame if you absolutely insist on something different.

It really looks like PF30 bearings on a fatbike are rather uncommon. It may be that Specialized is the only company doing it, because I haven't heard of any others. Would certainly explain the limited bb fitment options.

Honestly, I'd probably just grab another RF one and take extra care when installing the bb and cranks that it's done well, and that the bb remains well sealed. I might finagle some kind of extra external seal and grease over the existing bearing seals to ensure the elements stay out.

My Fatbike uses a Turbine CINCH crank with Enduro BB121 bearings that come with an extra bearing seal that really seems to do a nice job of keeping everything uncontaminated. I don't think it's the bearings themselves that are better and are why this bb has lasted longer. Convinced it's the extra sealing.

turtles make me hot
    I have a friend who has a Wheels Manufacturing bb in a Salsa Mukluk with Raceface Aeffects and it's all good.
    I like turtles

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have a friend who has a Wheels Manufacturing bb in a Salsa Mukluk with Raceface Aeffects and it's all good.
    Totally different application, not relevant to OP's situation.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018

New question here.

UPDATE: my LBS was able to install the Wheels Mfg. fat bike-specific BB.
    https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...-bb-black.html

But they required a lot of spacers and were rather grumbly when I picked up the bike about whether they really stood by the installation that went against their recommendation to stick with the RaceFace. The didn't say that it was unsafe. But rather it might come loose over time or something like that. What do you think - is this a safe/durable install or should I revert to a new RaceFace PF30 with better sealings etc.? Thanks.

Replacement BB for my Fatboy-img_5756.jpgReplacement BB for my Fatboy-img_5758.jpg