Thread: Renegade Thread

mtbr member

Renegade Thread

Any other fat bikers here using a Renegade fork? I scored one on the cheap and have been reasonably impressed with my purchase. RST is a much maligned brand but they seemed to have done well with this product. My only gripe is the seemingly total lack of technical information on it and would appreciate any knowledge that others may have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I did the test for FATBIKE.com on the Renegade fork. https://fat-bike.com/2016/08/review-...spension-fork/

Since that time when Mike Dunn told me to keep the fork, both Mike and Bobby Acuna were let go, the California Sales/Service office was closed and RST put an idiot named Neal Arnett at BikeFettish in charge of US Brand Management. Neal refuses to honor Mike's wishes that I keep the fork and refuses to sell me parts to maintain the fork.

I would steer clear of RST as the company seems to be in turmoil and is very unstable.
    Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi.

Anyone have a setup guide/airpressure table for this fork?

I have searched without luck.

John

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have 2 forks. One on a Diamondback Catch 2 (modified into a fat bike) and one on a GBM. I have it set at 70psi for 30% sag. I weigh 140 lbs.
    The manual suggests pressure to rider weight in kg. rider weight 60-80kg - psi pressure 60-80.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thx

Have you found an online manual?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    No, one came with the fork. It appears to cover all their forks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, decent product, but zero technical support.

The last time I had a question I called the # on their website. I was able to get an answer, but the guy on the other end sounded like he was a little surprised to hear the phone ring.

What would be the group consensus on using the Renegade in cold weather? In particular, will running it in single digits/ sub-zero potentially damage the internals?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

RST Renegade - Second Adjustment of Rebound knob just came off???

Quote Originally Posted by chopsmitty View Post
    I did the test for FATBIKE.com on the Renegade fork. https://fat-bike.com/2016/08/review-...spension-fork/

Since that time when Mike Dunn told me to keep the fork, both Mike and Bobby Acuna were let go, the California Sales/Service office was closed and RST put an idiot named Neal Arnett at BikeFettish in charge of US Brand Management. Neal refuses to honor Mike's wishes that I keep the fork and refuses to sell me parts to maintain the fork.

I would steer clear of RST as the company seems to be in turmoil and is very unstable.
    Just my $.02

So I actually bought this fork because of your review. My wife is intermediate at best and has a Spesh Helga (fatboy). We are heading off to ride copper canyon and I figured it was time to get her on suspension. I have a Spesh Fatboy with a Bluto and my new build is a Salsa bucksaw with Fox suspension from front to back. Based on my average feeling about the Bluto, the double cost, and then your review I thought RST was a no brainer. Not blaming you since you were just reporting your experience. But I was around the industry 20-25 years ago for the recall you spoke of and had a very bad impression of RST. That said first couple of rides, Great. Then simple went to tighten the rebound of the bottom one click and it came out in my hand with about 2.5 inches small tube on it. And does not seem to reattach. I figure I will need to rebuild the fork but really did not want to get into that before the trip. May just put my Bluto on it.

Any suggestions based on your experience?
    Year Round Fat
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw L
    2015 Spesh Fatboy L

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Call Bikefettish and go from there. My fork is still amazing. Sorry for your experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    OK. Will do. Thanks for that and certainly not on you. The fork itself feels very nice but the remote lockout did not work out of the box and then this rebound dampening knob issue. but it actually feels smoother than the Bluto. I wish Fox would put a fat fork out. I have a Fox Plus fork on my Salsa w 4"tires (thanks to mtbr Foxed Up post) and its butter. Have a great day.
    Year Round Fat
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw L
    2015 Spesh Fatboy L

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    I'm going to sound silly, but I cannot figure out how to adjust the air pressure of this fork. I just got a Gravity with the Renegade from Bikes Direct (2018). The left top of the fork is the rebound and the right has the lockout (copper colored rotating knob). I tried removing the knob to see if the schrader valve was underneath, but only found two loose bearings and where the set screw goes in. The fork is listed as an air spring, but I have no idea where to attach my fork pump. Also, I can't find any tables for setting sag. Thanks, Andy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Renegade Thread-1540964383982872157866654285523.jpg

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsmitty View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1540964383982872157866654285523.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	1223062
    Thanks for your reply. My fork
    Is not set up like that. The left side of my Renegade is the + - knob for the rebound. The right side is the lockout knob. Andy