Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Relatively Light 140mm Travel Aggressive Summer HT, Winter Fatbike

Looking to see if I could get a frame that would fit Knards or larger during the winter, but during the summer months can be converted into a long travel 120-140mm aggressive hard tail, with Knards or maybe just 2.4 tires.

I thought about getting a Chinese carbon 29er and running the highest volume 27.5" tires that would fit, but I still I think I'd be limited on width.

Whatever it is, it's got to be light, 3.8lbs or less for a large frame.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

WNC Native
    Check out the Carver Garvester, you could run 100mm with 29+ or probably get away with a 120mm normal 29er wheel setup. Not sure what the frame weight is on it though.
    Gnarvester
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

That's probably a good pick.

How are the Knards on snow? Anyone running a Fat-Knard combo? Fat up front, Knard in the back?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

It looks like at least some of the Fatbacks can run the Knards front and rear, but what kind of front suspension could they utilize?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    but what kind of front suspension could they utilize?
    Plenty of clearance and travel...

No, I mean most fat bikes don't have geometry optimized to run a front fork at 140mm, whether with fat tires, 29+, or normal 29. . Id likely go Lefty when it comes to specific brand/model.

Basically I'd like a bike that could accomodate everything from a 26x4.0 to a 29x3.0, and the ability to run a rigid fork while full-fat, or a 140mm with say...27.5x3.0 if they ever are produced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm running a Fox 32 Float, 120mm on my Krampus, and that feels like a legit 140mm of travel with the added rollover angle of the 3" Knard. That wheelset will fit on a Carbon Beargrease or a LaMere, just pick the geometry that suits your taste. With that setup on the LaMere you'll end up around 69.7 degrees, and the Beargrease is already compensated for a 120mm fork, running at 68.5 degrees. Of course with an angleset headset you can be anyplace you want.

RickyB, thanks for the suggestions. Seems like you know what I'm looking for.