reducing Q-Factor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

reducing Q-Factor

Hi everyone,
    I have a Motobecane Night Train, purchased it mainly so I could ride more in the snowy winter months. I have enjoyed riding it, except for one issue. I have noticed some knee discomfort after long rides, which I have never experienced on any of my other bikes. also when mounting/dismounting I have noticed I occasionally whack my shins on the pedals(eggbeaters). I attribute this to the extremely wide Q-factor(something I had never paid attention to on other bikes). the bike has a 190mm rear hub. the stock crank is a SAMOX, 10 SPD, 22x36T, ALLOY SAND. BLACK CTL Crank 175mm + 10mm AXLE WASHERS. there is plenty of clearance between the frame and crankarm as well as between the bigring and frame(at least 20mm in both instances). I am interested in running a single chainring set-up with possibly a raceface turbine-cinch designed for 170mm hubs. my thoughts are with the single ring the chainline should still be ok.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Raceface posts this on their website. They have a setup for using a crank that accommodates a 170 rear, but with a flipped chainring it can be used on a 190 rear. So if your bike is a 190, the Q-factor goes down from 220 to 202MM.

See http://raceface.com/comp/pdf/FatBike...-Chainline.pdf

Sounds like you are on the right path.

I just went from a 170 bike to a 190, lucky for me i seem to like wider q-factors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you search the night train thread you'll see my questions on the subject. The race face cranks for 170 work splendidly on the NTB. There are even clearance photos and specific part numbers listed for you by a very nice member who helped me out. Unfortunately I can't remember his name off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

reducing Q-Factor

Thanks, I'd thought I'd seen it somewhere but scoured the Internet for a couple hours last night and couldn't find it. It could just be from pushing those big tires, but I've never had an issue in the past. I'm also thinking about shorter spindles for my eggbeaters, but that's another thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    thanks again for the help, I knew I had seen it on here but for the life of me couldn't find it using the search engine(found the thread, but not the reference to this). I tried all sorts of keywords and some reason didn't get it. On a sidenote a straight-up google search on my computer instead of the phone did the trick..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I did this on my Moonlander, switching from the Surly cranks to a set of Turbines with the 170mm spindle. Great setup - got rid of some of the knee issues I've had in previous seasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

reducing Q-Factor

I went on a ride through deep snow and ended up mounting and dismounting quite a bit. my shins got all banged from whacking the pedals. Never had that issue on my MTB. That combined with my knees feeling strained is enough to make me think about Q factor. I just ordered the new XTR race crank with narrow Q factor and 170 crank arm length for a single ring set-up on my Salsa Mamasita. I've ordered some shorter ti spindles for my egg beaters as well.