mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Recycling/ reusing D5 studs?

I have a set of D 5's that have 2 full winters on them and the sidewalls are looking pretty rough from all the wear and tear at 2-3 psi and my fat ass squashing them. The tread and studs on the other hand look brand new as I only ride that bike on snow and ice.

So the question is; can I just cut these studs out and install them on a new non-studded D5, or V Rubber Snowshoe XL, if I buy the studding tool? It would save me around $260 CAD to do it over buying new studded tires.

mtbr member
    You can easily remove the old studs with the stud tool, no need to cut them out. I removed mine and reinstalled them in Wrathchilds, removing them was easier than installing them.

Human Test Subject
    I used some pliers to pull studs out of my Gravdals, but I wouldn't call it easy. Took about an hour to get a third of them out. The most I got out in a row was 15, but usually it would take a few tries per plug and some would fly across the room.

For me the installation of stud plugs was easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I used some pliers to pull studs out of my Gravdals, but I wouldn't call it easy. Took about an hour to get a third of them out. The most I got out in a row was 15, but usually it would take a few tries per plug and some would fly across the room.

For me the installation of stud plugs was easier.
    Pliers would be difficult as there isn't much to grab on to.
    Removal using the stud tool is easy and is just the reverse of the installation procedure.
    Use a drop of water to lubricate the stud, press the tool down over the stud until it reaches the base and then angle it 45 deg to pop it out.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yep, get a good stud tool. I like the one from bikestud.com that looks like screwdriver.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    I have a set of D 5's that have 2 full winters on them and the sidewalls are looking pretty rough from all the wear and tear at 2-3 psi and my fat ass squashing them. The tread and studs on the other hand look brand new as I only ride that bike on snow and ice.

So the question is; can I just cut these studs out and install them on a new non-studded D5, or V Rubber Snowshoe XL, if I buy the studding tool? It would save me around $260 CAD to do it over buying new studded tires.
    No problem to reuse the studs, but unless the sidewalls are torn/leaking bad, I would just ride the tires until they give up.
    A thin coat of rubberized undercoating on the worn sections of the sidewalls (spray available at any Pep Boys, NAPA, etc) or PlastiDip?
    https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
    Plasti Dip is designed to peel off a smooth surface, but a thin coat will likely stick to an uneven surface like a sidewall. Thin coat being the clue here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walloftvs View Post
    Yep, get a good stud tool. I like the one from bikestud.com that looks like screwdriver.
    I have found the ones from 45nth or Bontrager are a bit easier on the hands as they distribute the pressure over a wide area.

As others say, having a tool is key to making removal very easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    You can easily remove the old studs with the stud tool, no need to cut them out. I removed mine and reinstalled them in Wrathchilds, removing them was easier than installing them.
    You put Dillinger studs in Wrathchilds? I thought the Wrathchildren had different studs. They look larger than the ones on my D5's.

Thanks for the replies. I'm really not sure these tires are toast, but the sidewalls look pretty thin.

Espen W, thanks for the advice, I never considered that sidewalls could be repaired.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    You put Dillinger studs in Wrathchilds? I thought the Wrathchildren had different studs. They look larger than the ones on my D5's.
    They come with the XL studs but are available without studs as well, much cheaper and at the time those were the only ones I could find. The regular 45nrth studs work fine.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1