Recommend a tire for fat front build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommend a tire for fat front build

I am in the process of gathering parts for a fat front 29er build and am trying to decide on an appropriate front tire.

The wheel I bought included an Endomorph, which I realize is probably not ideal to the trails the bike will see (Triangle NC - rooty, rocky, loose over hard). I would love to grab a husker Du and be done, but I can't seem to find any available. What would the next best option be?

Larry? - I've read that this isn't likely to give me the ride I am looking for.
    Nate? - I've read that this might be overkill and is heavy with low rolling resistance.
    Devist8er? Not much info on it - cheaper, but heavy

Any recommendations? Am I missing any options?

For reference, this will go on an 80mm GFS rim laced to a Surly hub and paired with a Maxxis Ardent or another similarly wide 29er tire on a Velocity P35. The frame is a Misfit DiSSent and will be built up as a 1X.

mtbr member
    My experience is with the Endo, Larry, BFL, Floyd, and Nate.

I see a need for the Nate if you have mud, but otherwise the Larry's will do the job simply by adjusting the pressure up or down.

Can't speak for HDs.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i vote larry cause its what i use on the front. nate in the back. larry will help you steer bettar cause it has tread parralell to your direction of travel.

Black Sheep rising
    Larry at minimum. Nate or Husker Du* depending on how much "loose" there is over the hardpack.

* My choice.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Personally, I'm really NOT a fan of the Larry. I find that it has too round a profile and no "edges" to bite in while leaning. Sometimes I can keep the Larry on the ground while leaning but usually it's more to do with the sheer size of the tire rather than its profile or tread pattern. I would use a Larry if I rode a lot of packed snowmobile trails but that's about it. Just my opinion.

The Nate on the other hand, is a Beast! Plenty of traction and very well- mannered when you put it on edge. That would be my choice although the Husker Du looks interesting if you want something a little more low-profile.

mtbr member
    Trust me - the Husker Du is the one I WANT, but since another thread mentioned that the next shipment is not expected until the summer (June, I think) I am going to need something else in the interim.

So is it Nate or nothing? Any thoughts on the Origin 8 tire?

mtbr member
    I did a 24 hour race with the Larry on the back 2 months ago. It had plenty grip except on mud shown below. A lot depends on what pressures you run your tyres at.

I had a Nate on the front, and I was cursing the extra drag, but it was great in the mud which started like this before the race

and very quickly turned into this

I regard the Nate as a mud tyre and overkill otherwise. The HDs sound like the best compromise available at the moment.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

is buachail foighneach me
    Personally, I don't notice the drag of the Nate as much up front. Out back, it's a big increase in rolling resistance, that is probably proportional to the increase in traction. I've always preferred big, meaty, knobby tires up front on my bikes though.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I would recommend avoiding the Endo and Larry up front. The Larry is okay, but isn't aggressive enough in corners.

Heh, I remember when Larry was great at the time because it simply steered straight.

I'd get a Nate for the front for the time being, then sell it and get a Husker Du later.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I would recommend avoiding the Endo and Larry up front. The Larry is okay, but isn't aggressive enough in corners.

Heh, I remember when Larry was great at the time because it simply steered straight.

I'd get a Nate for the front for the time being, then sell it and get a Husker Du later.
    Thanks! I think this will be the plan...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    I'd get a Nate and keep it. I doubt you'll notice the rolling resistance in the front. The Nate is a fantastic tire with earth-shredding grip. I find that the physics of lower ground pressure of fat tires tend to make the fronts wash or understeer even with the massive knobs of the Nate sometimes. If you're gonna go fat front, do it right and stick with a balls-out, straight-up mean tire like the Nate.
    Well, I'm with you there, I run them front and rear. Reason I said what I did was that OP expressed an interest in Husker Du tires from the start.

EDIT: ooOOOoooOOOooo crazy forum post reordering!...

Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post

I'd get a Nate and keep it. I doubt you'll notice the rolling resistance in the front. The Nate is a fantastic tire with earth-shredding grip. I find that the physics of lower ground pressure of fat tires tend to make the fronts wash or understeer even with the massive knobs of the Nate sometimes. If you're gonna go fat front, do it right and stick with a balls-out, straight-up mean tire like the Nate.

Perpetual n00b
    Nate FTW! Some local guys say it looks so mean it shouldn't be allowed on dirt!

WNC Native
    Trumpus, I'm going to roll the Nate on my fat front up here in root infested WNC.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Thinking I am going to either try the Origin 8 Devist8er or the Nate for now, possibly Husker Du when it becomes available (if I am unhappy with whatever I've got on at the time)....this is the plan

Members who have read this thread: 0