Recommend me some good affordable winter clothing for fat biking.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Recommend me some good affordable winter clothing for fat biking.

Hey guys,

This is my first winter fat biking. I have taken it out once and I was chilly after a short ride. What clothing do you guys recommend that works well while biking?

Thanks
    Surley Moonlander
    Revelate Designs Custom In frame pack
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have Giro merino winter cap, couple short and long sleeve merino tshirts from Costco (they are between $15-$20), xc-ski pants and xc-ski/winter running softshell, both with windproof front panels, winter hiking boots with thinsulate insulation, merino socks or thicker hiking socks, merino long underwear. I try to stay home when it is colder than -25C and usually ride between 1.5 to 4 hours at a time.

Just to get an idea:

MERINO? WINTER CAP

MEC Nitro Thermal Run Jacket (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Craft AXC Touring Stretch Pants (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

The North Face Snowsquall Mid Boot - Men's | Backcountry.com
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Thanks, Ill check those out.
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Bedwards Of The West
    This is the best deal on winter cycling pants anywhere:

http://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-flee...ucycling&psc=1

the sizing is crazy so you have to read a bunch of reviews to get it right, but these things are great. I'm wearing them down to about 18 American degrees with nothing but liner shorts underneath. Below that I throw a pair of tights on underneath. If these had a big brand logo on them they'd be $200.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

the sizing is crazy so you have to read a bunch of reviews to get it right, but these things are great. I'm wearing them down to about 18 American degrees with nothing but liner shorts underneath. Below that I throw a pair of tights on underneath. If these had a big brand logo on them they'd be $200.
    Agreed, these are great.

Also cheap and good:
    Manzella gloves (easy to find most anywhere)
    People Socks merino socks (Amazon)
    Sub brand compression tops (really warm and cheap. Tight as hell but that's by design. Get them from Amazon)
    Performance Triflex tights (these are ridiculously warm)
    LL Bean Snow Sneakers (really warm, very well made, work well with flat pedals and nicely waterproof)

Jackets are the tough part as the arms and back need to be cut long. You probably need a cycling-specific one. I paid for a Gore Bike Wear Tool, there are likely cheap generic options on Amazon.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    Agreed, these are great.

Also cheap and good:
    Manzella gloves (easy to find most anywhere)
    People Socks merino socks (Amazon)
    Sub brand compression tops (really warm and cheap. Tight as hell but that's by design. Get them from Amazon)
    Performance Triflex tights (these are ridiculously warm)
    LL Bean Snow Sneakers (really warm, very well made, work well with flat pedals and nicely waterproof)

Jackets are the tough part as the arms and back need to be cut long. You probably need a cycling-specific one. I paid for a Gore Bike Wear Tool, there are likely cheap generic options on Amazon.
    I disagree, any ole soft-shell jacket is great usually, use cheap wicking shirts from target underneath. The only possible compounding factor is if it's wet around freezing or slightly warmer and raining, then you're screwed and should be wearing a plastic bag, because nearly everything is going to be miserable, even "waterproof" stuff, as you will generate too much warmth and sweat in those warmer temps and the added moisture outside will just leave you miserable.

If you need to spend some $$ anywhere, it's for bar mitts/pogies IMO, ones that seal up, it's the #1 most important piece of winter clothing in my arsenal. Any thick glove I've ever tried gets damp during hard efforts, and you can't readily take your hand out of the glove, then when the effort goes back down, it freezes, plus gripping the cold bar and grips constantly sucks the heat out of your hand. Pogies create a micro-climate in there and allow you to use thin cycling gloves, dramatically improving control and your ability to keep your hands warm, which despite all claims, I find next to impossible with any "cycling" glove (and ski gloves suffer more from the damp/gets wet issue). If you are going to dump any money, do it on keeping your extremities warm. It's relatively easy to make your core warmer with layers if that's really the problem (20 min of moderate riding usually warms you up to operating temp, so you should feel a little chilly at the start).

Spend $ here IMO:

Pogies
    Balaclava (heavy and light model)
    Warm ski helmet
    Snow boots (these can be had relatively inexpensively usually)
    Wool socks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I agree with getting Pogies, and my Bar Mitts do the job just fine here in the frozen north. Very seldom do I need a heavy glove when using them and I like that they can be adjusted for ventilation.

As to jackets, and pretty much any clothing, head to your nearest Goodwill and see what they have for non-cotton clothing. Some of it may not be stylish, but it'll get the job done and will save you some $$$ until you can afford better. Don't worry about cycling specific clothing, I rarely wear it for winter.

But, if you look often enough, you'll probably find decent items, like North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Ibex, or even Arc'Teryx. I have found all of the above, but there is nothing wrong with LL Bean or some of the lesser brands (Gap, Old Navy, etc) so long as the clothing meets the criteria. I usually get my winter boots there and have scored BIG over the years, you just have to visit frequently.

I started winter mountaineering many years ago and couldn't afford the nice gear back then. For the lower mountains I looked like Richard Simmons with all the stuff I wore, but it did the job well. I have since upgraded a piece at a time and now own some pretty nice stuff that I also use for winter fatbiking.

For jackets, look for layers and not one specific piece of clothing. You'll have to layer/delayer to match conditions. I find a softshell and/or fleece is perfect for wicking and insulating properties and Gore Tex works fine for waterproof.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Shop end of season cross country ski sales. That stuff works great and if you live where the snow has been light, like MN, there should be a good selection.

mtbr member
    I also have those pants, if it's cold enough I have some "Nashbar Mansfield winter bibs - seconds" underneath, the 4ucycling pants really are a deal.

For tops any wicking base layer, then over that I really like a soft shell I got at Costco for like 20 bucks to the point I bought a second, but not on their website now.

I have cheap pogies, scooter logic from amazon, and a decent collection of gloves/hats/balaclavas just from living in WI. Really I probably have less than 100 bucks in cold riding equipment but I'm ok down to single digits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Amazon.com : 4ucycling men's fleeced works pants with zippered pockets black XXL-PROMISE : Sports & Outdoors

^^^THIS. Best winter cycling pants you can buy.

For top layers just look for sales on cross country ski wear.

Depending on temps I pile up 2 - 3 baselayers (one of them Merino wool) with a Swix Bergan breathable jacket.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I bought Cobrafist pogies and they are lifesavers. As others have mentioned, snow gloves get too sweaty and they are a pain to get on and off (The exception maybe lobster claws or mittens). I spent the extra money on Cobrafists because of the 2 vents on each side (front and rear) and the locking endcap which helps them keep their shape. Worth every penny IMO and one of my favorite accessories on my bike.

mtbr member
    Here's the deal - we can all give you advice about what is the best clothing for your riding, but there are so many factors that need to be taken into account that any advice is pretty much useless. What works for me at 30F may not work for you. Heck, what works for me one day at 30F doesn't necessarily work on another day at the same temps due to wind or humidity or even just how I'm feeling at the time.

What you need to do is to experiment with lots of different combos and layers to figure out what works for you for different conditions. Make the thrift shops your friend. You can generally find a lot of good starter gear there on the cheap, then when you know what works for you head to the sporting goods store and get new, high quality versions of what works.

The caveate here is boots and gloves. You can never have too many different gloves for different conditions and there are lots of good gloves that are quite cheap.

I can tell you that my general layer set up at 30F is as follows:

Top:
    Poly Tee
    Merino blend long sleeve 1/2 zip tee
    100% merino zip jersey (Awesome thrift store find - not bike specific. older version of this: IO Merino Elemental 100 merino wool Jacket)
    If it is windy or if there is precip, I'll throw on a super-thin jacket on top (Fusion Jacket | Marmot.com)

Bottom:
    Novara Headwind pants
    Chamois

Feet:
    Thin merino liner sock
    mid-weight merino hiking sock
    Giro shoes (Standard summer bike shoes)
    Endura MT-500 neo covers

Hands:
    Poly midweight liner gloves
    Outdoor research waterproof glove covers

Head
    Buff folded double

Generally that is what works for me, but some days I'll drop a layer up top, depending on how I feel at the time. Again, you're going to need to experiment. Seriously, get friendly with your local thrift shops and figure out what works for you. Layers, layers, layers.

I've never used pogies even in -25F and generally don't have any issues. I ride every day year round as a bike commuter, so I tend to acclimate to temps fairly well being out in it all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    Hey guys,

This is my first winter fat biking. I have taken it out once and I was chilly after a short ride. What clothing do you guys recommend that works well while biking?

Thanks
    My two cents.

Listen to Brockphi and......

If you are dressed properly you will be cold after a "short ride". I've ridden the last two days at between -5 and -10 F. I was cold for the first mile and comfortable for the next 5.

I use mostly what I had leftover from snowmobiling and general outdoor wear.

Head: Good Balaclava and below 10 degrees goggles

Hands: I've not needed pogies yet. I use a 10$ pair of Head gloves down to 32, insulated mechanics gloves down to 10 and a good pair of ski gloves below that.

Body: Underarmour long underwear shirt and a North Face waterproof jacket. Doesn't breath so I sweat up top.

Legs: UA long undies $30 4Ucycling pants

Feet: Wool socks and $60 Vasque Arrowhead boots. But, any warm winter boots would be a place to start.

My problem has been after a mile or two I am too hot, not too cold.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will look into all that when I get back.
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I have these: http://www.amazon.com/Sobike-Cycling...+cycling+pants

Pretty sure they're the same thing with a different brand name silkscreened on. And I concur, they're awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    Whats a search?
    seriously?

By using the "search" feature (top right of the page), you will find that this topic isn't new...it's already been discussed several times.

Rather than starting a new thread on the same topic, just post your questions in the existing one.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think we forgot to mention that you should wrap yourself in foam.