Rear Tire Noise, can't figure it out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Rear Tire Noise, can't figure it out

I did a bunch of Googling and couldn't figure out something that was quite the same as my issue. I have a Mongoose Vinson that I bought about a month ago. It has approximately 15 miles on it. When I was riding on the trails, I didn't notice noise, but when I rode some paved trails yesterday, I got that "knobby tire on pavement" noise, but it was only once/per revolution, which I thought was weird.

I took it home, figuring it was a truing issue, spokes, or brake rubbing. All of the spokes are tight. The tire doesn't contact anything at all. The disk rotor isn't perfectly straight, but it isn't rubbing. I even spread the calipers way out for tons of clearance and am still getting the noise. It happens as I'm pedaling or coasting, with or without weight on the bike. I attached a short video clip trying to capture the sound. It's that deep whir noise that happens each time the reflector hits the 1:00 position on the clock.

When I put my ear right up next to the hub, it's not as noticeable; but when I put my ear next to the tire, it's louder. Any thoughts? It doesn't appear to be affecting the riding at all, but I'm worried that if I ignore it I might be setting myself up for issues down the road.

mtbr member
    Sounds like bearings to me. If you have the tools, re grease the bearings, maybe check the freehub for unusual sound by spinning it once the cassette and axle is out. you'll be able to hear it better without the other stuff in there, kinda amplifies the sound.

I've had issues where my cheaper freehubs have had a wierd sound in the past and when I repacked the bearing grease, I'd add a couple drops of automotive transmission fluid into the lip of the freehub and give it a spin. Spinning the freehub will pull the trans fluid into the freehub some, which helps lubricate the pawls.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

since 4/10/2009
    Yup, sounds like hub bearings to me.

mtbr member
    Actually, new bearings too. They're cheap, less than $5 for both wheels, and mongoose isn't known for putting in high quality bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not that reflector? Heh...Sounded like just extra weight on the wheel to me, but I don't have trained ears so ignore me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Laramie, Wyoming
    What does it sound like with the reflector removed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the fast replies. I took it into the local shop since I don't feel comfortable working on the bearings, and told them the tests I'd already done and thoughts about the hub bearings. They hung onto it for a couple days and had a couple different techs ride it and diagnose. They said they didn't think it was the bearings, but their best guess was that it was noise from the tire against the rim from inexpensive materials used.

? Never heard the rim/tire thing before. I couldn't get the video to run so I guessing. Bad bearings can usually be felt when you have the wheel off and spin the axle. Have you tried removing the wheel and shaking it? Perhaps you have a small piece of metal trapped in the rim, a nipple or material left over from drilling the spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an old loose bearing wheelset that has not had any grease put in it for years. It sounds exactly like yours.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    The "tire rim cheap" thing is their attempt to sell a $600 wheel set and $100 tires. Air up the pressure to anything over 20 psi and see it it still does it. If it still makes any sound, you can rule out the tire and rim bs. I doubt it will

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yea the tire/rim rubbing didnt make sense to me either. So I got around to taking the wheel off and spinning the tire. Well, I didnt have a stand to spin it on, so I just spun the axle and held the camera by the hub. Seems noisy to me. So it would appear that most of the suspicious here were correct. I have other bike shops locally that I can get the work done at. For the time being, is there any damage that can be done by riding the bike as is, or is it just an annoyance?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    This is a typical cup and cone bearing. It's probably not that uncommon for these to be too tight from the factory. This can cause the bearings to not roll smoothly and make noise. My Fatboy SE front wheel has cup and cone bearings and it was way too tight from the factory. If you have a set of cone wrenches you can adjust them. It's a bit tricky to get it exactly right if you haven't done it before. Otherwise, this is a basic fix that any competent bike shop should be able to handle. If it is not fixed, it will eventually wear out the bearings and possibly the hub itself. I can't believe your LBS didn't just take a look at it. This takes only a few minutes, not 2 days.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    What does it sound like with the reflector removed?
    When I was wheel building for a shop that sold ONLY fat bikes, we used to remove the reflectors that came on the assembled bikes. Shop owner said they made a weird noise.
    I've never had reflectors on any of my wheels so I've never heard it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Buy some spanner wrenches and hub grease, and learn to repack bearings yourself. Easy to do and learn more about your bike.

wrenches:
    http://www.amazon.com/Veroda-Cycle-C.../dp/B00W6XG8UA

Grease:
    Amazon.com : Park Tool PPL-1 Polylube 1000 Grease Tube (4 oz) : Bike Greases : Sports & Outdoors
    or marine/boat trailer axle grease from a local auto parts store

Complete tool kit (just get everything you need to disassemble your bike):
    Amazon.com : BIKEHAND Bike Bicycle Repair Tools Tool Kit Set : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I finally got around to repacking the bearing. Followed instructions to a T, and it all went smoothly. However, the noise is still there, loud and obnoxious as ever. It seriously sounds like soneone walking in really squeaky rubber shoes but amplified. Enough for people to turn their heads and probably wonder whats wrong with my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've been truing the wheel to see if a perfect true will help the noise at all. One thing I have noticed is that the wheel has a heavy spot. If I slowly spin it, as comes to a stop it will always have the same spot on the wheel facing down, as if there was a wheel weight. I thought bike rims didnt have wheel weights. Could this be a factor in the noise?

mtbr member
    Could be. Thick spot in the tire, folded up rim strip, a slug of tire sealant (if you added slime).

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Remove the tube & tire. Then spin it to see if the sound is still there.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I took the tire and tube off. As the pressure was dropping I could hear the slight popping noises as the tube disconnected from the tire. Not sure if that's normal or not. Maybe the tube was twisted underneath the tire. Also I noticed that the wheel seemed like it was slightly out of true when watching the tire, but now that I just watch the rim it looks pretty good. When I spin the rim it's not super loud. There's a little louder whir than the front wheel, but I need to hold my head close to notice it over the clicking of the freehub.

Compared to the noise while riding, it's not comparable. Noise is hardly noticeable spinning in a stand, but while riding it would turns heads from all around because it was so noticeable.

I couldn't see any gross defects in the tire or tube. Hopefully the person who installed the tire just had the tube goofy and I can fix it by reinstalling the tire/tube carefully.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    On my Vinny, I switched tires to OnOne Floaters. When I did, I had a pretty load "rubber sqeaking" type noise. Not sure if that is what you have. I fixed by removing the tire/tube again and putting baby powder on the tube and in the tire. Noise went away. Tires arent real snug on Vinson stock rims to begin with so I assume the noise is tire/tube rubbing together.
    "Ride em if you got em"
    2016 Sturgis Bullet

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well, I powdered the tire and tube and reinstalled. At first I could only hear the noise going slow, and it seemed to subside at higher speeds. But after a couple minutes it was back to its normal self. I'm about ready to take the bike in and demand an exchange lol. So frustrating. I can't fix it. The LBS shop doesn't know what it is. I've invested in tools and tried repacking bearings, truing the rim, readjusting the disk brakes, and reinstalling the tube with baby powder. It's starting to feel like a replacement tire is the only option after all. I'll see if I can post a video while riding to hear the difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Here's a sound bite of the noise while riding. I rode slow to keep the wind noise down.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are rocks in your tires?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    At this point I guess the thing to try is to switch tires and tubes from front to rear.

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1. If you can, mark the rim with some caulk at a stay (chainstay/seatstay) when the wheel is in the position that makes the most noise. Ride a bit so you know you've marked it correctly (caulk on rim reaches stay at the worst noise).
      If you have difficulty, just pick a spot on the rim and mark it; then film it while riding, play back, and you'll know when the peak noise is and how far forward or back of the mark to make a new mark that lines up with either the chainstay or seatstay (and easier if it's in view of the camera).
    2. Then let enough air out of the rear tube so you can re-position the tire on the rim by 90 degrees. Pump it back up and test ride.
    3. Does the noise still occur when the caulk on the rim reaches the stay?

As in, did the noise follow the positioning of the tire or does it remain relative to the rotation of the hub?
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    p.s.
    Just read this post. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/am-...l#post12696041
    Made me wonder if your sound might be the tube moving/trying-to-move within the tire, against the tire, rim or rim-strip, with it occurring at the same point in rotation as the tube in anchored by the valve stem. Could be a match to your "squeaky rubber shoes" observation. Perhaps a healthy application of talcum powder would allow it to move smoothly and without noise?
    Make sure your rim strip is well positioned in case there is movement going on in there.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Over the years I've has a couple of tires where the tread separated from the tire carcass. Just another idea to check out but it made a similar sound.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Those orange liners on the wheels are the ones to blame for this annoying rubber noise. Mongoose Vinson (white) and the Argus Expert (mate black with the triangle cut outs on the wheels). Both bikes come with these liners and if you havenít noticed it looks like bubble gum on higher psi and protrude out of the rim cut outs. The wheel has to be true as well.