Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Rear fender that stays in place?

Looking for a rear fender (not full coverage) for fat tires that does not break in 3 rides and STAYS IN PLACE.

I struggled for years to find a fender that would stay put during trail riding on my HT 29er. Probably tried 6 different ones. The problem was always the crappy clamping mechanisms. Most plastic ones could never be tightened enough to stay in place in rough terrain and anything that uses a web strap is beyond useless in my experience.

I had decent luck with one staying in place on my 26” trail bike from Crud (plastic, but a better clamp design) but that eventually broke. I would try one again, but it does not look like they make one for the back of a fat bike.... or do one of their other ones work?

Also, I want a LONG fender. One that goes back as far as the back of the wheel (or close to it).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The PDW Mudshovel works well for me (and has for a few years). The only time it moves is when I accidentally kick it when throwing a leg over the bike.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Anytime. Anywhere.
    https://www.themudhugger.eu/shop

The 29 Mudhugger with that Fatbkike extension.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    PDW mud shovel has been ok for me after modification. V1 clamp was no good for trail use. V2 was marginally better. I cut apart V1 and slotted in a hose clamp. Now it doesn’t twist or bounce around.

Human Test Subject
    My mudshovel is cracked and the hardware is rusty but with enough electrical tape it stays in the right spot.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Rear fender that stays in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    https://www.themudhugger.eu/shop

The 29 Mudhugger with that Fatbkike extension.
    Interesting. I like the look of that.

You’ve had good luck with it? (EDIT: nevermind, I searched and see that you have used them and are a big fan)

Any issues getting it to stretch to fit a fatbike’s seatstays? Or does some heat take care of that?

FWIW, this is most likely going on a Wednesday.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rear fender that stays in place?-0b6586a1-36eb-403d-a501-35a71f7c8f36.jpg

I use a fat front fender on the rear, works good, stays in place. I top it off with a seat-fender.

The tape is just me being lazy and not using the velcro.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Interesting. I like the look of that.

You’ve had good luck with it? (EDIT: nevermind, I searched and see that you have used them and are a big fan)

Any issues getting it to stretch to fit a fatbike’s seatstays? Or does some heat take care of that?

FWIW, this is most likely going on a Wednesday.
    I have never had a fat bike, but they are flexible.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I've liked the PDW front and rear mud shovels. The V1 clamp worked well until worn and fit a piece of inner tube to get it to stay until the fabric strap broke. Got a new style clamp when it was mentioned for free, nice customer service! I've used some of the foil/aluminum tape to fix cracks as it adds some reflectivity for commuting. I recommend the fender to anyone who asks.

That said, if had eyelets like the Wednesday I might try to find a full coverage fender. speaking of which, any know what happened to Big O Manufacturing?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Mudhuggers are what I’m happy with after trying Mud Shovels. A little pricing but they handling rough terrain well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear fender that stays in place?-bfb47bb3-e0a3-4c40-8f9b-019db2bb141e.jpg  

Nutrailer
    I see you said that the Crudcatcher broke eventually but I've used a standard 29er Crudcatcher on my 4" tired Nutrail with no problems for a couple of years and it's the correct width, though it's too narrow for 4.8".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear fender that stays in place?-dsc_0009.jpg  

What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I put both a front and rear fender on the rear of my bike. The lower part is a front fender which bolts nicely where a caliper brake would go on a road bike. I then drilled a hole at the front/bottom and bolted it to the frame where a kickstand would go. This part is pretty stable.

The rest of the rear is a seatpost mounted rear fender with a plastic clamp that the OP does not like. I could bolt the 2 halves together to strengthen the top part if it becomes necessary.

The very back of the top fender is a black plastic folder that I cut up and taped in place. I could have mounted it a bit better, I'm not yet sure if I am keeping the extension.

Rear fender that stays in place?-2019-01-06-19.13.15-custom-.jpgRear fender that stays in place?-2019-01-06-19.13.55-custom-.jpg
    Name:  Capture (Small).PNG
Views: 69
Size:  172.2 KB

Not enough rides in to know if it is strong enough.