Rans fatbike 'crank forward'- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rans fatbike 'crank forward'

I have no idea what a crank forward bike is, but my buddy is into recumbent (has like 5 of them and a velo-mobile), and he got this marketing email from Rans today.

RANS Rally 2014-Hays, Kansas

They will be at a convention in St. Charles, IL Oct 10-12th if anyone is interested and also in the area.
    Ridley Helium // Ribble Sportive Racing // Giant STP 1 // Wraith Paycheck // Wraith Hustle // Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Whoa, that's pretty cool. Crank forward bikes allow you to put your feet flat on the ground at a stop, and they sit very upright. Great for people with back/neck/arm/wrist problems. In fatbike form, it's more of a novelty than anything I think.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    LOL! What happens to your center of gravity when the trail goes up?
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member

I had a Rans CF bike for a while. It's great for getting non-cyclists or infrequent cyclists out on a bike as well as for folks with certain medical issues that prevent them from riding a conventional upright.

Initial comfort is high with the big saddle and relaxed position, but I found after an hour my butt hurt a lot because of all the weight on it and the inability to distribute weight to bars and pedals the same way I do on my normal bikes.

Crusing was fine, but aggressive riding was harder due to the body position. I found it hard to climb on one of these.

I wouldn't want to hit a real MTB trail on one of these, but a non-techy XC trail would be fine if it was too climby.

If you need to bike to the java shack for a latte in the winter the new CF fatty could be the ideal bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

bigger than you.
    that looks like a bike fitting nightmare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Nope. It was quite easy as the seat goes up and down the eff TT changes accordingly and the bars swing up and down as well.

It's an ideal guest bike in that regard.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

bigger than you.
    i mean in terms of ergonomics and fit for ideal body mechanics. i see that causing all sorts of problems and pain with extended, intense use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quite the opposite as mentioned.
    However one reason this is true is the riding position is all about rider comfort and not about technical control. The rider can get correct leg extension while sitting in the seat and not have to get off the seat when stopped. As anyone who has ridden with more casual riders know this is something many people have trouble understanding and applying.
    A fat tired version would allow more traction and a smoother ride on off-road trails. Definitely not performance oriented but beginner. I doubt many on this forum would be interested but some more casual riders might be.
    Ofcourse with at the price I expect this to come in at it will be beginners with money.

Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    LOL! What happens to your center of gravity when the trail goes up?
    I think these guys found success rollin' the recumbent

CS2
    mtbr member
    i mean in terms of ergonomics and fit for ideal body mechanics. i see that causing all sorts of problems and pain with extended, intense use.
    Only if you buy into modern fitting theory.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    They have quite a range of geometries for their CF frames: mountain, road & comfort.
    It's the "comfort" models with the hugely radical (as opposed to only radical for their other models) sloped seat tube that allows your feet to reach the ground fully when seated. There's even a step-through comfort model. The comfort models also have a significantly larger seat, to take the rider's weight.

Along the models as the seat tube slopes back, the chain stays lengthen for a much longer wheelbase. Their Hammertruck is the longest, but its not much longer than the lowest/longest comfort model. I've tried their comfort models, and some of the recumbents, but none of their "standard" road or mountain. The comfort models were very easy to ride, but no room for fat tires.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Those bikes might work great with a Rido R2 saddle? Conjecturing.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Could be.

I'd think one's brother-in-law would be recommending carbon-fiber shoe-horns to the masses if he's a proctologist whose kids all need braces.

The Rans seats are rather massive. There's the original size and now a slimmer one, still larger than most seats.

Rans fatbike 'crank forward'-rans-cf-seats.jpg
    Last edited by Canoe; 09-18-2014 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been riding my Rans Dynamik for 7 years, it's a great bike. You get to look around a really enjoy the scenery because of the upright geometry. Unfortunately when the wind blows you are going nowhere fast with that upright stance. The seat is quite comfortable and is amazing easy to adjust, but can get a little sweaty. I've been using mine for road touring(up to 200km in one day with a nice tailwind and general riding around on hardback and pavement all year long.
    I ride a variety of bikes including full suspension mtb, recumbent, and diamond frame road and just bought a Norco Bigfoot and been having a blast on it. It is a big wheeled mtb. I would love to have a Rans cf fatty for winter trails that are not very technical or hilly, but it ain't happening this year. I never put mtb tires on the Rans because it would not work on trails I like to ride especially with the weight on the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i like it. a bike like this is why i got my mongoose beast. it's cheap enough to cut up out of the box and experiment with. my real inspiration is the lightfoot ranger bigfoot though.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Wow, finally someone with the same biking shoes as me!

mtbr member
    Rear tire width not limited by heel clearance? 220mm wheels for snowpacking? Yes? No? Insane? I hate snowshoeing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have been using a RANS Alterra29er for freeride, cross country, off-road, and on-road bikepacking for five years now. It has improved every aspect of my riding versus hardtail and full suspension bikes that I have been using. I find a huge improvement in comfort, performance, and happiness when I compare my RANS bike to any other off-road manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linktung View Post
    I have been using a RANS Alterra29er for freeride, cross country, off-road, and on-road bikepacking for five years now. It has improved every aspect of my riding versus hardtail and full suspension bikes that I have been using. I find a huge improvement in comfort, performance, and happiness when I compare my RANS bike to any other off-road manufacturer.
    I'd love to see some crank forward freeride mountain biking photos and/or video. I just can't picture it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I used to take photo and video. I have modified my bike to be a better descender and jumper this year. here is a video on a double black after a day of rock climbing.
    third - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Rans fatbike 'crank forward'

Quote Originally Posted by Linktung View Post
    ... on a double black ...
    LOL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Rans fatbike 'crank forward'-share2014-09-16-6550c1327721ff944099ac76108eeb5698127dc48190de61d99b19c57dd58850-picture.jpgRans fatbike 'crank forward'-share2014-09-16-f10e93de6742c3b044dc2c670dc4883284daf8f733b7cfd94dfbecdc4a9e11f4-picture.jpgI know right, the rating scale scale of modern mountain biking is totally wussified. the more recent adventure rides I do are significantly harder and more deadly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well it's probably a double black when you're on a sketchy geometry bike like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'd love to see some crank forward freeride mountain biking photos and/or video. I just can't picture it.
    I tried to find a photo for you, but it was in pre-digital days so I have no idea where it is.

About 15 years ago I bought one of those ridiculously long beach cruiser frames and proceeded to modify it. One iteration was with a 120mm Marzocchi, a Nexus 8 and knobby tyres. I was regularly getting at least 6" of air, and somewhere there's a photo to prove it.

The feet forward riding position was comfortable and with the long handlebars it gave an upright position which was great for watching scenery.

One unexpected bonus was when I had it in roadie mode with skinny proper road tyres (a truly ludicrous looking machine). The riding position was very low and so the total frontal area was also low if you crouched over the bars. This made it possible to wind it up to some ridiculous speeds. My favourite ploy was to get on the back wheel of a roadie and just sit there while he tried to get away from the embarrassing appendage. That used to amuse me anyway.

The thing about foot forward cycling is that it is a bit of a knack. There was a body of opinion once that you could get more power to your pedals by having your saddle low and back, and that is the way I used to set up my bikes - you're using your upper body a lot more. I still tend to move back on the seat when I have a hard climb. However I think that's of more benefit to a singlespeed rather than a spinning gear rider.

Obviously that is not as far back as the RAN bike, but I can see how it could work quite well. Just a different set of muscles, and more use of the upper body. I'd like to try one.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Well it's probably a double black when you're on a sketchy geometry bike like that.
    sorry about the poor filming choice of the chick in the video, her idea of a good shot is anything that I am in so the trail doesn't get the attention it deserves. Here is a better video of the trail.
    Mountain Biking Jackson Hole Wyoming - YouTube
    The double black section starts at the 9th minute. the fella filming gets jammed up on one part, hikabikes another and crashes hard at the 13 minute mark. I guess his bike must have sketchy handling, probably due to his missing half his fork.
    on second watch it looks like he doesn't crash just drops the cam.

mtbr member
    The Electra Cruiser is what got me back into biking a few years ago before ever hearing about a fat bike. I finally sold it earlier this year with probably less than 100 miles on it. I still enjoy riding the wife's Amsterdam when I want to stay in the seat.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)