All fat, all the time.

Racks that fit fat bikes

I put my bike on my buddies Kuat NV today, it fit with plenty of room as the front arm swung over the wheel/tire. Rear would need a longer strap.

Another buddy has a Thule T2, requires letting a good amount of air out of the front tire.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

Another buddy has a Thule T2, requires letting a good amount of air out of the front tire.
    Really? I didn't let any air out of these tires on my T2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks that fit fat bikes-fat-bike-fun-sept11-008.jpg  

Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

All fat, all the time.
    Sorry, his was the older version, all black. They must have made the arms slightly longer. Good to know!

Harmonius Wrench
    Sorry, his was the older version, all black. They must have made the arms slightly longer. Good to know!
    Hey, no worries.

They did, in fact, make the ratchet arms longer.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a T2 that's about three years old, and I have to drop pressure with my Mukluk to get the front tire (Larry) to fit into the tray(also have to work to press and tuck the tire into the tray) and to get the arm over the front tire (while also compressing the front tire).

After having two of the plastic tire tray bolt mounts break, having one of the ratcheting mechanisms randomly fail, and now dealing with lots of rust, my wife will be buying me a 1up rack with the spacer kit for Christmas :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dehoff View Post
    I have a T2 that's about three years old, and I have to drop pressure with my Mukluk to get the front tire (Larry) to fit into the tray(also have to work to press and tuck the tire into the tray) and to get the arm over the front tire (while also compressing the front tire).

After having two of the plastic tire tray bolt mounts break, having one of the ratcheting mechanisms randomly fail, and now dealing with lots of rust, my wife will be buying me a 1up rack with the spacer kit for Christmas :

[Photo Snipped]
    How do things work out with the spacer kit and "normal" bike wheels? I've got a Mukluk 2 on order and a 1up USA rack, and I'm intending to buy the spacer kit from them to retrofit my rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I made a fork mount rack for my mukluk.... I call it the Muk-Loc

I used U-bolts to attach it to my THULE bars...works like a charm!

ent
    Sep 2011

I really want a 1up rack. Those look really really solid.

Is that your OB? Nice scoob from a fellow owner

no links or images?! Harsh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    How do things work out with the spacer kit and "normal" bike wheels? I've got a Mukluk 2 on order and a 1up USA rack, and I'm intending to buy the spacer kit from them to retrofit my rack.
    Don't know about that, but worst case you'd probably just have to take the spacer kit out for those occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by christian402 View Post
    I really want a 1up rack. Those look really really solid.

Is that your OB? Nice scoob from a fellow owner

no links or images?! Harsh.

Not my Scoob. That photo was from someone at 1up USA when I asked if they were making a fatbike rack that I saw on some blogs this summer.

I have a Mazda3 hatch, and the 1up rack should solve most of the issues I have with the T2.

@adelorenzo
    I highly recommend North Shore Racks for transporting Pugsleys, along with any other type of mountain bike.

Here's mine last winter, on our way out to do a big ride:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks that fit fat bikes-210454_10150550035750716_807580715_18214784_3485578_o.jpg  

Rednose/Greenback
    Man that's just cold...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Don't know about that, but worst case you'd probably just have to take the spacer kit out for those occasions..
    As long as you're only carrying fat bikes and normal mountain bikes, it shouldn't be an issue, I would think. The problem would be if you want to carry something with much narrower tires like a cross bike or a road bike. I'm thinking, though, that you can leave out the spacer kit parts for the parts at the end of the arms -- maybe use stacks of appropriately sized washers to keep the v-shape at the end of the arms the normal size instead of widening it with the spacer kit's spacers.

Ologist
    My 1up USA with spacers should be here in a couple of days and I will let you know. I was under the impression that you might have to remove the fatbike spacers to go back to a smaller mtb?

mtbr member
    I have a THULE T2 and can't seem to mount my Mukluk to it!? The front arm that holds the tire in place doesn't seem long enough?? Did you make any modifications Guitar Ted?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    I have a THULE T2 and can't seem to mount my Mukluk to it!? The front arm that holds the tire in place doesn't seem long enough?? Did you make any modifications Guitar Ted?
    You've got an older one, I'm betting. The 2011 versions have been modified.

You could probably just get the arms to upgrade your older T-2
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    He has one of the newer T2's with longer arms

Make sure your air pressure is well under 10 psi, stuff the front wheel into the tray (you have to work each side of a larry so the tire is fully seated into the tray), and then pull the arm over and compress the tire slightly as approaches 45 degrees, and then it should hopefully have a click or two left once it's close to the fork to lock into place. You'll have to find some sort of strap for the rear tire.

I had a pretty stock Mukluk and a Pugsley with BFL's on Large Marge's on my older T2 this weekend. The front BFL had to be dropped to really low psi to get the arm over the tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    You've got an older one, I'm betting. The 2011 versions have been modified.

You could probably just get the arms to upgrade your older T-2

Here's the link for replacement parts- ThuleT2 spare parts

Don't know if you just need the Locking Ratchet Arm Assembly(D) or maybe just the Hook (AA) or both.

It might not even be a bad idea to buy a new wheel tray and maybe try to open it up a little more with a heat gun so the wheel would sit in there a littlle better.

Black Sheep rising
    FWIW, I have an older SportWorks rack, and the hook will not fit over the front wheel of a 29er (no less a fatbike). So I run the hook into a bottle cage on the frame like this:

Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

All fat, all the time.
    Back to life, anyone running a yakima king cobra or highroller with fat tires???

I need to get a better rack going so I can still transport bike while pulling work trailer. I would prefer yakima, but will go with a thule sidearm if the yak won't fit the big tires.

Moderator Moderator
    I found out today that my Yakima Frontloader was recalled last year (bike could fly off the roof) & they will send a brand new one after I return some critical part that must disable the old one or prove you actually still have it.

In case anyone else didn't fill out that pesky warranty card and find out about a recall, here are the other recalls listed at Yakima Racks & Carriers Recalls
    FrontLoader
    FlipSide
    Quickback
    2005 Mighty Joe

All fat, all the time.
    Well I can't find a decent deal on the yakima stuff....so probably going with the thule sidearm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    just as an fyi. white pugs need to be on the T2 closest to the car. their offset front wheel does not work with the arm when facing the other way. (4 bike T2 would have two spots it would work in).

ML fits the t2 fine as well. rocking old tubes for rear wheel tie downs, they work great

mtbr member
    No special racks needed, just an old rear wheel in the front to mount. Cheap & simple. Swap over wheels, then ready to ride

Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

Bite Me.
    Back to life, anyone running a yakima king cobra or highroller with fat tires???

I need to get a better rack going so I can still transport bike while pulling work trailer. I would prefer yakima, but will go with a thule sidearm if the yak won't fit the big tires.
    Yakima Front Loader works fine. You just need to use straps to tie down the rear wheel. I also add one to the front wheel as added insurance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks that fit fat bikes-rack-1.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

All fat, all the time.
    Bike bling gave me 10% off and free shipping so a couple side arms on the way.

I hate taking wheels off....

...big and slow
    Well, it's not the same as the others shown here as it is a hanging type rack but I recently picked up a Thule Apex 4.

Racks that fit fat bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332643394.103152.jpg

The new design works fine for carrying my Mukluk as well as my wife's and son's bikes. Nice and stable (i.e. limited swaying) with very little extra tie-downs needed to keep bikes from making contact with each other. With two bikes no extra tie-downs would be needed at all.

Would love to have a 1up but for three bikes and adapters for a FatBike, the $750 price tag is just too much to justify as we don't typically need to haul our bikes to get to a trail we can ride as a family. If its just me, I can pull the front wheel off and throw the Muk in the trunk of my car when the back seat is folded down.
    Chromey

All fat, all the time.
    Completed my fat rack project.

Key points:

- Be able to transport bikes while pulling trailer for work (ie existing hitch rack has to go)
    - Not remove front wheel (annoying)
    - Keep access to roll-top cover (tools for work stay in there)

Mounted a yakima load bar above roll-top cover, then mounted a pair of Thule Sidearms, 1 on each side.

Yes, I drilled through my bed rails....it had to be done It's a work truck after all. We get squat for trade-in once they are mile'd out.

Thule changed these a bit, as the old ones had the plastic wheel tray, these have metal in the front to hold the wheel. My HD's on RD's fit in tightly without letting out any air. I imagine you could carefully bend them out a bit if needed for BFL's. I like em. Hopefully they are less rust-prone than the original ones. They also increased the arm length, no probs going over a fat tire. Rear wheel strap isn't long enough (knew that going in), a bungee is all you need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice job Shark

mtbr member

Ghetto Thule

I have a older T2 w 26" arms and was able to fit BFL's on Daryl's in my Homemade tray which consists of a 2x4 w a 10 degree bevel and some 1/4 ply and a pair of door hinges strengthening the joint between the ply. The rear tray is a piece of rain gutter mounted to a extra thule tray mount I had but you could just drill and mount direct. The orange rubber strap (24") is from Voile a winter supplier of backcountry tools. I did have to take the 28'' arms off my T2 extension and move the tray back in order to fit the Lou in. In doing this again I would would go 3/8 wider on the 2 by and plane it down to 1'' thick and counter sink the bolts in the tray so I could gain the first ratchet click of the arm. The BFL fits with clicks to spare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks that fit fat bikes-imag1375.jpg  

Racks that fit fat bikes-imag1376.jpg  

Racks that fit fat bikes-imag1337.jpg  

Racks that fit fat bikes-imag1403.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yakima Lockjaw + 4" PVC

Name:  lockjawviewb.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  23.1 KB
    I replaced the stock aluminum wheel tray.

Racks that fit fat bikes-img_6852.jpg
    4" PVC cut down the middle with a Dremel Tool.
    Be sure to file down the edges.
    PVC can be sharp and possibly slice your hands or tire sidewalls.

Racks that fit fat bikes-img_6851.jpg
    Multiple holes to allow rack to fit on different crossbar spans.

Racks that fit fat bikes-img_6849.jpg
    Fits my 4" On-One Floater tires perfectly.

Name:  6261.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  10.9 KB
    A few bungee balls around the wheels and it's good to go.