RaceFace 24mm spindle x 167.5 BB, How can I run a dual chainring Cinch spider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

RaceFace 24mm spindle x 167.5 BB, How can I run a dual chainring Cinch spider

On my 197mm trek farley 9.8, with the stock Aeffect cranks..

Yes I know I have the choice for the super wide cranks but the Q factor is a joke..

The cranks I have provide about 6mm of clearance with the chain stays on each side, the issue is that the 32 ring contact the chainstay diagonally (when the chainstay still round)

To figure the https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdfRace face CHART you need a bunch of reference numbers but I have no idea where to find

I just need a spider that moves the chainrings about 3 mm outwards and I be fine.. (I see they have a few cinch spiders, but all the places on the net don'y give me specific model choices

My current spider has the numbers "13456" punch into it and came with the cranks but no idea if is the original or just one the guy have around..

Sorry to sound like if I have never change a tire, but bicycles in the good olds day where much simpler

Thanks

Ricky

Thingamejigger
    get a spider meant for a boost chainline??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    thank you, makes perfect sense

Any suggestions where to get them on the net...??

(Car broken, fatbike down)
    Last edited by patineto; 02-25-2019 at 09:55 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    thank you, makes perfect sense

Any suggestions where to get them on the net...??

(Car broken, fatbike down)
    Do you have a 2x drivetrain? The current Farley 9.8 is a 1x with Truvativ crank, so without knowing exactly what bike you have (pics would help), it's hard to recommend.

You figure out what you need by measuring. the stuff referenced at the beginning of the RF document largely come from measurements. and from working through the charts on the 1st page that tell you something based on a measurement. Their chainline recommendation is just that. All you really need is for it to be wide enough to clear your chainstay with some room to handle flex.

Here's a collection of RF spiders, with boost and non-boost options. The one you have should have the part number stamped on it somewhere. Verify what you have before spending a bunch of money.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/col...e+crank-spider

If you're on a 1x drivetrain, have you tried flipping the chainring so the teeth dish a few mm wider?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Do you have a 2x drivetrain? The current Farley 9.8 is a 1x with Truvativ crank, so without knowing exactly what bike you have (pics would help), it's hard to recommend.

You figure out what you need by measuring. the stuff referenced at the beginning of the RF document largely come from measurements. and from working through the charts on the 1st page that tell you something based on a measurement. Their chainline recommendation is just that. All you really need is for it to be wide enough to clear your chainstay with some room to handle flex.

Here's a collection of RF spiders, with boost and non-boost options. The one you have should have the part number stamped on it somewhere. Verify what you have before spending a bunch of money.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/col...e+crank-spider

If you're on a 1x drivetrain, have you tried flipping the chainring so the teeth dish a few mm wider?
    call me weird..

I want to used a double because I love the feel of the old XTR STI's on the snowbike and because only come up to 9 speeds..

I have the frame alone with the bottom bracket and I got the cranks from pink bike after measuring them, the cranks fit perfect but the the 32 needs to be about 2mm away from the frame, so your suggestions of the Boost is just perfect..

Oh one more thing, my cranks are the 24mm spindle, not the 30mm, those that make any difference (i'm pretty sure it those, I just don't know how to tell)

hey thanks for the help, if you ever need to learn about adventure bike or vintaje paris dakar rally bikes, let me know and also about vintaje mountain bikes believe it or not..