Quiver Killer or Killer Quiver- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Quiver Killer or Killer Quiver

I started riding mountain 3 years ago. My friend hooked me up with a Gt Zaskar 29er and I enjoyed it for a few months when my riding buddy convinced me that I would do better on a full suspension 29er. I got one for my second season but really did not make any progress as a technical rider. Last fall I was convinced that a fatbike would be a quiver killer and I went all in with the Mutz. I've loved riding the bike and I feel like this third season was great and that my riding has improved (I'm still pretty bad!!).

As it turns out that being the only guy with a fat bike sucked so I bought a hardtail so that friends could ride with me, and the beginning of my obsession with fatbikes was born. I continue to chase the do it all quiver killer, but have wound up with a killer quiver (my credit card company loves me).

Have you found your quiver killer? Or you adding to the killer quiver

mtbr member
    I'm sticking with the quiver killers (rigid fatty and 29er hardtail). Not enough garage space for more, and after 6 bikes in the garage last year plus my kids bikes and tag alongs, n+1 is no longer allowed.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    My Turner King Khan is a quiver killer, not that I don't have other bikes, but when I ride them, I realize just how much better the TKK is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quiver Killer: Mutz and two wheelsets (26 x 4, 27+), maybe not the best tool for every use, but if the heart is willing. I have no problems riding big ups and bombing big downs, bike park to XC to snow covered FS roads, I heart the Mutz.

It was not such a happy story from Day One as the Mutz was woefully under suspended on the front end (Bluto), but with the addition of a Wren we are in hog heaven!

The only thing that would make the Mutz better would be a little more space at the arches to properly clear a 29+. If I ever get a custom frame (Lenz Fatilac) that would be my plan: One bike to rule them all!!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Instead of quiver killer or killer quiver, How about killed by the quiver? I have 5 bikes. I like them all. I keep thinking if I get bike A, I don't need bike B anymore. I can sell it or give it to a friend or family member. Ultimately, I can't part with bike B. Eventually, I see myself as like that person with way too many cats, except in my case its bikes. Hey, at least they don't piss on the furniture!

aka bOb
    More the merrier I always say!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was fine w/ my fat bike and 29er fully, but then got a killer deal on a couple of bikes (SS Karate Monkey & KramPus). I just realized I bought (4) bikes in 2015. But two of them were less than $1k total, so that is ok right?

I did have to get pretty creative with bike storage as there is my wifes bike, a burly, tag-a-long, and two bikes for my 4yo (balance and TONKA).

I do plan on getting a bike very similar to a Salsa Fargo, and plan on doing day trips on the bikes with the family. Who knows?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yes! I love that sub 1000 budget logic!

I feel better now

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Instead of quiver killer or killer quiver, How about killed by the quiver? I have 5 bikes. I like them all. I keep thinking if I get bike A, I don't need bike B anymore. I can sell it or give it to a friend or family member. Ultimately, I can't part with bike B. Eventually, I see myself as like that person with way too many cats, except in my case its bikes. Hey, at least they don't piss on the furniture!
    OMG yes! Same exact logic here... and end result created by it. I'm up to 8. (not all mountain)

Yeet so hard
    Lets see...
    road bike - riding roads
    fat bike - sloppy mud/snow/beer mobile
    rigid ss 29er - tame trails/challenging my strength
    5" trail bike - everything the above doesn't cover
    Two of those were just about 1k so I am fine with it.

So I guess im more of a killer quiver type of guy
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

turtles make me hot
    Currently, I have a fat bike with 5" and 29+ wheels and a 29er with full suspension.
    I love the fat and plus size tires so much, I'm going to replace the 29er with a Lenz Fatillac. That should do it for me then.
    I like turtles

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Quiver Killer: Mutz and two wheelsets (26 x 4, 27+), maybe not the best tool for every use, but if the heart is willing. I have no problems riding big ups and bombing big downs, bike park to XC to snow covered FS roads, I heart the Mutz.
    This is my plan with my Bucksaw. I'm partly there, need to have Mike See build me a 27.5+ lefty front and finish lacing up a marge lite for the rear. Frankly, if the Bontrager Hodag 27.5 x 4" fits, it may make my marge lites obsolete, so I may hold out. A 29er set with the transitional plus tires would make this an awesome summer XC bike, too. For now, I plan to keep my 907 and put the fattest tires possible on it and have it be a snow bike.

mtbr member
    I had 4 bikes:

Road
    Cross/commuter
    29er
    Fat

Sold the 29er and run the fatty year round, last year on 26 x 4 FBN, this summer on 29+

I would love to have more but I don't have space for them unfortunately.
    Last edited by Swerny; 01-22-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    I'm tempted to think that a nice steel or titanium fat bike with both a squish fork and a nice rigid fork, plus multiple wheelsets in various sizes would be the killer quiver.

But then I'd want a singlespeed.

But then I'd want a cross bike.

But then I'd want and want and want.

There are so many sh1ttier problems to have.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    In the sense of a fat bike, I view mine as a specialized tool for specialized conditions, or one that I would take out in good weather every now and then for shits and grins or exploratory work.

But I like to go fast. So I also have a Niner RIP 9 5" full squish, and a 29er Ti HT. They are far more fun and rewarding in normal riding conditions. So I guess I'm a killer quiver kind of guy. If I could only afford one, I'd keep the RIP 9.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My lower back says the rigid fattie is not for me in the summer on rocky rooty bumpy trails. Adding a full suspension rig to my fleet this summer putting me at 3 bikes...hybrid for road riding, fattie for winter and full suspension for off road trail riding.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It comes and goes. Some years I've got lots of bikes, some boxes w/ lots of parts, some lots of wheelsets for few bikes. Interests and the market are always evolving. Family pressures and wallet are pretty much the only constant keeping the balance in check.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Fatillac could be in my future, I just need to visit Mike and give it a roll.

I can't really complain about the Mutz as it's set up now, but short chainstays would be a nice change in terms of increasing agility...as long as the Fatillac climbs well.

I considered asking Foes to make a custom swingarm for the Mutz that has just a little more clearance so the 29+ wheels would fit for year round riding; stock there is only an 1/8 clearance to the bridges running DW's on Scrapers.

If we didn't live where it's snowy, I'd go plus only, something like a Foes Alpine or maybe a Mixer

When I was riding muni exclusively, I had multiple wheels to fit a few frames, I could switch a wheel out for the terrain, fat tire for snow or mud, skinny tire for cruising, mid fat for mixed riding. It was this approach to outfitting that I brought to mtb.

I'm a fair mechanic, it's no problem swapping wheels, adjust the calipers if needed, and away I go. I can travel with my El Jefe tandem and Mutz, three wheelsets, and I have all situations covered. I want to add a lightweight hardtail fatty that shares all these wheels, then my wife could ride solo with me, probably on the 29+.

I still have two munis and three wheels. The only "normal" bikes we have left are an Atlas (for sale) a Taro (soon to be for sale), and a Klunker (new work commuter).

By this time next year my quiver will look like:

Foes Mutz or Fatillac...
    Ventana El Jefe Tandem
    Ventana El Gordo
    TransitionKlunker
    Munis (29+, 27+, 24 x 4")

Of course when you talk quiver, there is my the ski and board quiver, which waaay outnumbers the bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Currently, I have a fat bike with 5" and 29+ wheels and a 29er with full suspension.
    I love the fat and plus size tires so much, I'm going to replace the 29er with a Lenz Fatillac. That should do it for me then.

All fat, all the time.
    3 years is not that long.... Less focus on different bikes, more focus on riding different stuff if you want to get better.
    I find it's dangerous to get sucked into the new bike, new gear, different whatever.... Instead of just getting out there and riding... Lots...
    Ride the mutz, forget the rest. It's a sweet ass bike.

beer thief
    2016 marks 30 years since i bought a Schwinn Sierra and started mountain biking. It also marks 10 years since i bought an original purple Pugsley.

I have had a shipload of bikes in between, including a Trek Y-bike (went thru 3 frames),many Rocky Mountain bikes, Santa Cruz Hecklers, Bullit, Nomad, Blur LT, Tallboy and so on. Many times I've thought i was buying the ultimate bike but change is constant. I bought a second Pugsley for friends to use, then decided to build a lightweight carbon rig for some of our long climbs. I love it for snow riding but my old wrists can't take it year round so i bought a Bucksaw. It is by far the best rig I've ever owned, and with 650B+ and 26 x 65mm carbon wheelsets it truly is a quiver killer... not that I'm getting rid of too many other bikes.

We are so fortunate to have the technology available that we do but ultimately it's all about the ride, no matter what you're on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Blizzard with extra 29+ wheelset is my almost my quiver killer. Future will be Fattilac or Indu fs...