mtbr member

Quiver Killer Fatty: Four-season, Fun, Fast, Adventure-worthy, Fat Bike

Hi all. I've been a MTBR reader since the early days for advice and reviews. I want to find the right bike for my new mission so I after 16 years of reading, I finally made a profile and hereís my first post.

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking bike suggestions for a quiver killer fat bike. Light, fun, durable, jack-of-all-trades fat bike for four-season, adventure, and rides of all length from 30 minute short spins to 1 year tours. I realize that I may be asking for too much, for a bike that can do all of this well, but I suspect the bike is out there, since it looks like there are some good options these days.

I live in northern Arizona and ride all over this state and Colorado mostly. In the near future, my mini-me flies the nest, so I plan to do a lot more travel in search of great riding and 4 season adventure. Iíd like to have one bike that can do it all fairly well. Budget is pretty liberal, but I donít want to burn money either, if it's expensive itís got to serve a purpose. I have no problem paying for quality. Here are more specifics if you care to read on.

Here's what I want out of the bike:

• Versatile design that performs well in snow, dirt, sand, mud, both loaded and unloaded.
    • 29 plus, 27.5x4.5 and 26x5 compatible.
    • Primary use will be day rides, but will also want to be able to transform into a capable bike packing ride.
    • Light and stiff enough that the bike doesn't hold me back on fast rides with friends.
    • Adjustable dropouts and maybe Rohloff compatible (considering this for adventure riding. ​It's good to have options).
    • Suspension fork compatible (the initial bike will likely be fully rigid).

Frame material:
    I'm leaning toward titanium, but am not entirely opposed to other materialsÖ A recent endo and a poor executed landing on a boulder taught me about cracking carbon. I broke the chain stay on my current MTB and wasn't going fast at all. However it kept on working. Unaware of the crack, I went on two more rides, and the bike performed well. After washing several rides worth of mud off the frame, I found the crack. Carbon is strong stuff and I understand itís field repairable with the right kit. Aluminum is a contender. To me, steel seems too heavy and rust prone for beach riding.

Iíve demoed a few fat bikes and had a blast on them all, but they were easy, shorter rides. A couple of winters ago I rode an Ice Cream Truck and Fat Boy on some technical, snow covered trails around Telluride. I really don't remember enough about how the bikes rode, frame sizes, etc, but loved the experience of pedaling on top of and thorough snow. Also, I have ridden a Borealis (donít remember the model) and a Pivot Les Fat on even shorter test rides.

Fit/Geo:
    I am 5'10", 165 lbs. Iíve mountain biked for 30 years. My current ride is a nicely equipped Pivot Mach 4 Carbon, size large (595mm stack, 429mm reach). I love this bike and it fits me and my MTB warm season biking style very well. Iím doing my homework now for the right fat bike, and learning as much as I can, because I want us to have a long healthy relationship with my new ride. I don't know a lot about geo yet, but have been reading up. I've been referencing the following charts to see how various Fat frame measurements compare, pretty cool to see so many bikes compared on two graphs.
    Fat Bike Stack and Reach ‚ÄĒ RIDEFATBIKES.CA

Bikes Im considering including chain stay length:
    Canyon Dude: 439-455mm

Fatback Rhino: 440-462mm

Moots Frost Hammer: 452, (although I don't think it has an adjustable dropout)

Pivot Les Fat: 437-447mm

Salsa Mukluk: Carbon: 432-449. Aluminum: 440-475mm

RSD Mayor: Both aluminum and titanium: 470mm

Trek Farley: Both aluminum and carbon: 440-455mm

Ventana El Gordo: 438-465mm

What's the best stance and geo for an all around fat bike, like I'm describing?

Some of these bikes seem to have short chain stays, others have longish stays, what are the pros and cons of each?

Anything other frames to consider and which bikes would fit my need best?

If I am between two frame sizes do I upsize or downsize?

Many thanks,

SnowFlyer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quiver Killer Fatty: Four-season, Fun, Fast, Adventure-worthy, Fat Bike-fat-bike-stack-reach-carbon-ridefatbikes.ca-sr63d.jpg  

Quiver Killer Fatty: Four-season, Fun, Fast, Adventure-worthy, Fat Bike-fat-bike-alloy-frames-stack-reach-ridefatbikes.ca.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlyer View Post
    ...I'm looking bike suggestions for a quiver killer fat bike.
    ...[*]Adjustable dropouts and maybe Rohloff compatible (considering this for adventure riding. ​It's good to have options).[*]Suspension fork compatible (the initial bike will likely be fully rigid)
    I'm leaning toward titanium, but am not entirely opposed to other materialsÖ
    I'd get on Scott's list to build what you want.

https://www.facebook.com/QuiringCyclesLlc/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Check out Travers Bat Fastard you might be able to spec it out and tweak it to you liking.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Talk to bansheerune about RSDs. He's a helluva great guy who is a fantastic advocate for those bikes.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

beer thief
    For me, a true quiver killer means full suspension. Your choices in fat versions are somewhat limited

mtbr member
    Excited to see where you end up Snowflyer,

I was recently in your shoes. Chose to go the full sus route through Waltworks.

I rarely do beach or snow riding, but still wanted to run fat tires just for fun, Settled on a narrow Q/fliped ring set up and will run 29 x 2.6-3.0 most of the time and 27.5 x 3.8 when Iím feeling frisky

Iím liking the geo graph you are playing with there, You should end up on a great fitting rig.

May the force be with you!

mtbr member
    But just to throw it out there, The Tumbleweed Prospector is Rohloff and suspension ready.

Itís expedition ready and set up for all day comfort.

Bikepacking legend Cass Gilbert has been doing his best to destroy his Prospector this past year, riding through many countries and harsh conditions.

I personally think a T-weed with a Lauf would be RAD!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Custom Ventana El Gordo with a gearbox, three wheel sets, Mastodon STD.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the frame suggestions, those are all great looking rides. Now I need to learn about Pinion and Rohloffs, and go ride each.

Whatís the optimum frame geo for a jack of all trades fat bike?
    Last edited by SnowFlyer; 03-21-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Redundant word

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the great frame suggestions, those are all great looking rides. Now I need to learn about Pinion and Rohloffs, and go ride each.
    There's a market for the marathon biker types in Germany who want top-notch reliability for multi-day Alps crossings and such. They seem to be switching to Pinion:

Hektor Fat PI MTB ‚Äď FALKENJAGD

Quiver Killer Fatty: Four-season, Fun, Fast, Adventure-worthy, Fat Bike-falkenjagd-hektor_pinion-seitenansicht-1920x1050.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Borealis Telluride, 83mm BB (!), 177 rear axle, can run a 27.5 x 4.5 and 29 x 3". I like the idea of the narrow Q factor and the 27.5 x 4.5 tires for winter traction.

mtbr member
    The Farley EX8 has fulfilled my year-round mountain biking needs.

mtbr member
    Farley or a farley ex forsure

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I'd get on Scott's list to build what you want.

https://www.facebook.com/QuiringCyclesLlc/
    This.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    The Farley EX8 has fulfilled my year-round mountain biking needs.

Same here, but it won't fit a 27.5 x 4.5 in the back, max is 3.8 wide. It will fit 27.5 x 4.5 in the front. However the 27.5 x 3.8 has as much contact patch area as a 26 x 4.5. I think the OP should relax the 4.5 requirement for the rear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Same here, but it won't fit a 27.5 x 4.5 in the back, max is 3.8 wide. It will fit 27.5 x 4.5 in the front. However the 27.5 x 3.8 has as much contact patch area as a 26 x 4.5. I think the OP should relax the 4.5 requirement for the rear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I have not second guessed my Farley Ex 8 for one second so far. Look at my signature .
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Yeah, I had a Fatboy with 4.6 tires before I got the EX8. Great traction in deep snow but cumbersome with high rolling resisance riding on anything else. Any deep snow disadvantage with the EX8 has been negligible, but the traction advantage and decreased rolling resistance on single track has been huge.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the frame suggestions, those are all great looking rides. Now I need to learn about Pinion and Rohloffs, and go ride each.

Whatís the optimum frame geo for a jack of all trades fat bike?
    Why cycles big iron is a titanium fatbike that fits 27.5x4.5Ē terrene cake eaters on 85mm enves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....