Quick question on pedal extenders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick question on pedal extenders

Sorry for this rather basic question. I spent a while on google looking for a solution but it was rather vague

I'm a size 15 boot and my boots rub the crank arms, so I'm thinking about fitting pedal extenders.

I have two concerns -
    1 - Will this somehow affect my knees!? I've read about people using these to overcome specific knee problems, but what if I don't have knee problems?
    2 - I'm thinking about these http://www.amazon.com/SunLite-Sunlit...PGXXS026T3ARA6
    They're 9/16" to 9/16" 21mm long. Then I see there's also a 1/2" thread size. I've dug up some specs on my 2014 Truvativ X9 crank (Salsa BG Carbon) but I can't see the thread size. I'm assuming it's the more common 9/16" but just wanted to check, first.

Also, is there a lighter version of the extender I've found on Amazon, but one that's reasonably priced? Perhaps something in aluminum to save a few ounces? I think $30 is about as much as I want to spend, since there's already rub-marks on the cranks so it's kinda like closing the gate after the horse has bolted...

Thanks for any insights...
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Your LBS can help you get the right ones as well as order these for you.

If you want a higher quality version, High Sierra makes some: Cants and wedges

As to knee concerns, if you can't currently pedal because you hit the crank, then there isn't really another option...unless you can find longer spindled pedals.

I know speedplay offers road pedals with different spindle lengths, but not sure if that is available for their flat pedals...

mtbr member
    OK, thanks much for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I had more or less the same problem as you, I currently use these, they work fine.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can get titanium ones, but they are spendy. I have the Specialized ones. They're nice because they're hollowed out for pedals that require an allen wrench.

If you only need a few mm, you could probably get away with adding a couple washers. Some degree of shoe rub isn't unusual or concerning.

bigger than you.
    what about using cleats with lateral adjustment? That worked for me and I've got size 15 shoes as well.
    Last edited by Gigantic; 03-08-2015 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member

Quick question on pedal extenders

I've always used extenders because my feet are duck toed so when my cleat is adjusted properly my heal hit the crank. No more problems and no knee pain.
    Now Issi pedals make one with an extended spindle.
    https://rideissi.com/pedals/pedal-issi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    what about using cleats with lateral adjustment? That worked for me and I've got size 15 shoes as well.
    if you wear size 15 shoes, you're probably also a clyde, in which point, I would be concerned about the extensions creating a weak point in the pedal/crank interface. Changing your cleat position or your foot position might be preferable or failing that, pedals with a longer spindle, although I would be concerned that the longer spindle might be prone to bending if you're heavy and ride aggressively.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    if you wear size 15 shoes, you're probably also a clyde, in which point, I would be concerned about the extensions creating a weak point in the pedal/crank interface. Changing your cleat position or your foot position might be preferable or failing that, pedals with a longer spindle, although I would be concerned that the longer spindle might be prone to bending if you're heavy and ride aggressively.
    Thanks for the tip. I was a bit concerned about the extra forces on the lower part of the crank arm as a result of effectively adding longer pedals and more leverage. I'm 185, so I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or not. I suspect not.

I did go ahead and order the cheaper extenders from Amazon. If they work out OK I may switch in something lighter down the road a ways.

@gigantic - I haven't been using cleats at this point. The winter trails here are tough and tricky so I need to get off the bike in a hurry!

Incidentally, I do like the look of the pedals with the longer spindle, I'll look at those when mine are ready for replacement.

Thanks for all of the input!