Questions on my Origin8 Amarok.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Questions on my Origin8 Amarok.

Am toying with going 10 speed so I can ge a 40t or 41t climbing gear. Currently has 1x9 11-33 on it. Was thinking how much difference would it make if I just changed the 33t chain ring out for a smaller one? Much cheaper but do you guys think it would totally screw the rest of the gears? I was good with the gearing just need a little more for the real steep stuff. Talked to the shop that I got the bike from and was told that the wheels were ok for 10 speed. Said that the 8,9 and 10 were the same size. So trying to decide how to go with it.I am running a 4.9" tire an don't have space for a 2x9 setup. If I went to a 4.0"tire I could probable do that. So many options. One more thing do most of you ride your fat bike wit clipless or flats?

I am new to fat bikes so sorry for all the questions! I really like to ride the thing it is a lot of fun! Trying to get the most out of it that I can.

Thanks Folks!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm running a 9-speed 28t x 11-34t, I like it quite a bit. Most of my ridding is technical single track and a lot of climbing. Sure I can spin out on pavement or at a DH park, but the bike wasn't bought to grind pavement and I find DH bike parks boring.

But to be fair its a very personal choice. Most people would probably hate my bike setup. So in reality you got to try different options and see what suits you and your ridding best.

Also you seem to own quite a few bikes, haven't you got a ball park of what kind of gears you enjoy? Fat Tires don't really change gear setup that much, might just need an extra one or two cogs in the back, or 2-4 tooth smaller chainring up front.

mtbr member
    I have an idea on the road which I have fooled around a bit. The flash 29 is still bone stock so it has the 2x10 11-36 on it and it is a whole different animal. It is an "angry bike" and real fast but with the 2x10it climbs real well. My fatty Feels like I am trying to turn a BUNCH more rubber than I am on the flash, But I really like riding this thing! Most of my bikes I just get on an ride the crap out of em.

I am leaning toward changing out the chain ring for maybe 30 OR SO. Definitely the cheaper option for now. can experiment that way. Just ran out on the real steep stuff. I won't be riding on the road with this thing so MEH... I got the S5 for that.

Thanks
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, 10 speed is a bigger change, because you'll be buying new cassette, GC, shifter, and derailer.

Would be a cheaper experiment to just get a different chain ring for the existing set up. You'll lose top end gearing, but if that doesn't bother you then no big deal

mtbr member
    Got a 30t on order now. If I loose to much I will add a 10t in place of the 11t on the cassette. I have just been afraid of screwing the bike up but thought about it and hell I will tear into my $5000 Cervelo in a heartbeat why worry about a $600 entry level fatty? Anything I screwup can be unscrewd! That's what U tube is for LOL. It's all good. This thing is going to be fun to mess with. Will still have questions on this thing but MEH... No Big deal.

Thanks!
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6