Questions for bikes in the $800-1000 range...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Questions for bikes in the $800-1000 range...

sorry to throw out somewhat of a generic questions with a low post count, I've spent some time reading many threads here on mtbr and online articles and I'm scratching my head as I try to downsize and switch to a FB.

I'm targeting a fat bike in the $800-1000 range for a few reasons... it's a good amount of money, and I have other expenses - namely kids (x4)....

In any event -- in that range for new from LBS I see RM Blizzard 10 (on sale) as well as Charge Cooker Maxi 2, Norco, and other products like Framed. Am I missing any models?

Also -- bigger question -- is it a better thought to target the above type bikes, or is a better thought process to scour online sites for used bikes to see if I can obtain more bang for buck.

mtbr member
    Any of the bikes you mention would be decent. I would find one that I like and buy it. Used in good condition, or new. I don't think that it matters much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've been seeing plenty of pugs and moonlanders for $650- $900 on Mn Craigslist. Most look to be in real good condition....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slimbean mcgee View Post
    I've been seeing plenty of pugs and moonlanders for $650- $900 on Mn Craigslist. Most look to be in real good condition....

this is what I see as well either on Craigslist or FB sites.... I'm sure people change minds, or want to upgrade. Either way you either sell what you have or fill up the garage... I also notice some price accordingly and some want close to what they pay. I understand people don't like losing money, but I'm in sales and realize you have to be realistic on resale, cut your losses and move along...

mtbr member
    Check out the deals on the Facebook group fat bike trader

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I would also consider looking at some of the bikes direct bikes. I know someone here is going to pooh pooh my suggestion, but, I have a 2014 Gravity Bullseye Monster (GBEM). It has done yoeman's work for me and it has 2000 trouble free miles on it. I know that this is starting to sound a bit like a BD ad, but I do Believe in their products .
    Until Later.......Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I upgraded to a pugs from a gravity when they were on sale in dec., sold the gravity haven't looked back... getting a good used bike may be the best option....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slimbean mcgee View Post
    I upgraded to a pugs from a gravity when they were on sale in dec., sold the gravity haven't looked back... getting a good used bike may be the best option....
    there are plenty out there ...and I travel for sales so that leaves road trip buying open. I'm also seeing a few LBS blowing out the Charge models at discounted prices...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Since my LBS doesn't really handle fat bikes I went from my monster. I had upgraded to a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, but, unfortunately it was stolen. I myself wouldn't buy a bike off of Craig's list, unless the seller was local to my area and I could test ride the bike to make sure there weren't any major problems. Buying a used bike on a man's word who you don't know is like buying a pig in a poke

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Since my LBS doesn't really handle fat bikes I went from my monster. I had upgraded to a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, but, unfortunately it was stolen. I myself wouldn't buy a bike off of Craig's list, unless the seller was local to my area and I could test ride the bike to make sure there weren't any major problems. Buying a used bike on a man's word who you don't know is like buying a pig in a poke. Just sayin'.

Oldbear

mtbr member
    May 2011
    or check the sticky thread dedicated to these questions..

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...ks-937739.html
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    or check the sticky thread dedicated to these questions..

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...ks-937739.html
    Of course I skimmed that thread. My question was more along the line of - is it better to identify a new bike at that price range or target a used bike in that range that had a much higher MSRP, but because the bike is used it falls in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by justsellbrgs View Post
    ... My question was more along the line of - is it better to identify a new bike at that price range or target a used bike in that range that had a much higher MSRP, but because the bike is used it falls in that range.
    Well Sparky, that's the question that comes up every time someone is buying in that price range. Which is why the experienced hands have answered that question dozens of times. They've answered it so many times, yet people just open another thread like it's a new question, that the majority just don't answer that question anymore. Some may simply be tired of answering it, or tired of people cluttering up the first page with yet-another-____-thread (thereby making it difficult for everyone - particularly newbies - to find what they need), or they don't want to provide a partial answer to something that has been covered completely so many times before, or they may believe it's time for people to have a little self-reliance and learn to search. (Note: the site search sucks. Use google to search mtbr.com/fat-bikes)
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well Sparky, that's the question that comes up every time someone is buying in that price range. Which is why the experienced hands have answered that question dozens of times. They've answered it so many times, yet people just open another thread like it's a new question, that the majority just don't answer that question anymore. Some may simply be tired of answering it, or tired of people cluttering up the first page with yet-another-____-thread (thereby making it difficult for everyone - particularly newbies - to find what they need), or they don't want to provide a partial answer to something that has been covered completely so many times before, or they may believe it's time for people to have a little self-reliance and learn to search. (Note: the site search sucks. Use google to search mtbr.com/fat-bikes)
    thanks to those who answered, and my apologies to the Chief who I have upset. I'm on plenty of other forums. I understand search functions, newbie questions, etc. I also understand helping new members develops a better forum community.... and pissing on new forumers sets a different tone.
    maybe just bypass these posts and move on rather than cranking yourself up and responding?

mtbr member
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Canoe again.

thanks to those who answered, and my apologies to the Chief who I have upset. I'm on plenty of other forums. I understand search functions, newbie questions, etc. I also understand helping new members develops a better forum community.... and pissing on new forumers sets a different tone.
    maybe just bypass these posts and move on rather than cranking yourself up and responding?
    or just use the thread that Canoe conveniently linked?

Pot meet kettle.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I guess that someone's earnest query is going to peeve off somebody somewhere. We are all looking for answers and instead of peeing on someone's leg and say it's raining wh not help them. If an answer is given with good intent it tends to foster good will and not drive a "newbie" away.
    To the OP: keep on with your quest. There's a fatty out there with your name on it. It took me awhile to graduate from a wallyworld Mongoose to the ride I have now.

Until later----peace----luv---andFATNESS
    Oldbear
    Old bear says: REMEMBER TO USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Olbear6252 View Post
    Since my LBS doesn't really handle fat bikes I went from my monster. I had upgraded to a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, but, unfortunately it was stolen. I myself wouldn't buy a bike off of Craig's list, unless the seller was local to my area and I could test ride the bike to make sure there weren't any major problems. Buying a used bike on a man's word who you don't know is like buying a pig in a poke. Just sayin'.

Oldbear
    all good points Oldbear..... if I throw the comment out -- considering adding a fat bike -- at the next local group ride I might have 3-4 people approach me looking to sell that would like the chance to upgrade ....lol... everyone has their eye on the next bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I wish I knew how to give green rep. You sure don't deserve any neg rep marks. I am now a rather "lone bear" here in our area of Missouri. I used to ride with four others but they all graduated from MST ( our local University ). I love riding fat. Year round on both dirt and pavement. I started a thread here called fat-biking and health. We have a great bunch of posters that really care and will go out of their way to do things for each other. Like I have said ignore the "negative nellies" and press on.

Best regards
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Also -- bigger question -- is it a better thought to target the above type bikes, or is a better thought process to scour online sites for used bikes to see if I can obtain more bang for buck.
    I would only buy used if it's a local sale because I need to see it before making a decision. That doesn't mean I don't think the seller is legit or that the bike is stolen, but sometimes the pics are lacking, sometimes the seller is not taking the right pics, and I will have a better idea of the condition after looking myself and talking to the seller. That said, sometime I can get a good enough idea and the price is right so I'll take a chance.

The other potential loss if purchasing used is the warranty and perks you might get from a shop when buying new. This has been good for me in the case of my MN 2.2. Most of the time I have no issue with used since I can do a good amount of wrenching myself, but sometimes new comes with usable perks. So for used, the price needs to be good enough for the loss of the warranty and support from the LBS. If a new bike purchased off the internet doesn't come with warranty support, then used for the right price.

Basically, you have to decide what you are looking for based on your riding style (xc, trail, enduro, FR) and preferences (frame material, centered or offset rear, tire size, thru axle, suspension, component level, color, etc.) and then find the right price for new or used.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

FB&H rider
    Agreed with the usual comments above on new vs bikes direct and similar vs used. I recently went fat and am still very much a newb.
    I looked here and on the fatbike facebook - definitely get a lot of bang for you buck used but as usual there are risks. In my case it was out due to shipping.

One other thing to check in the calculus of used vs new (that you'll probably want to upgrade fairly quickly) is year/model end sales. Right now is actually a pretty good time to buy as most stores are trying to get in new stock and often will slash prices on last years' models. I found some truly good deals and did manage to get into my Trek Farley 5 for just a drop over $1k. In a year or two it will probably be my son's or daughter's bike and I can move up to the bike I really want.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    The other potential loss if purchasing used is the warranty and perks you might get from a shop when buying new. This has been good for me in the case of my MN 2.2. Most of the time I have no issue with used since I can do a good amount of wrenching myself, but sometimes new comes with usable perks. So for used, the price needs to be good enough for the loss of the warranty and support from the LBS. If a new bike purchased off the internet doesn't come with warranty support, then used for the right price.
    I bought two new bikes from my LBS. Had some warranty issues and treated the mechanics with respect and courtesy. I go in there now and most of the time they will throw my bike in a stand and do simple repairs and I'm in and out in 10 minutes.

Fixed my lady friends department store bike mid ride one time and they even did a little tune up on my EVIL INTERENET BD bike for nothing.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Phdpepper: calculus? Huh? I had trouble with Algebra 1 in high school. 😀 I think that is a valid point though. Evaluating what's available is always good to do. Annnnnd searching the threads to see if a specific model has a thread is good too. Dirtdawg started one on the GBEM. That is what got looking towards an online purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Phdpepper: calculus? Huh? I had trouble with Algebra 1 in high school. 😀 I think that is a valid point though. Evaluating what's available is always good to do. Annnnnd searching the threads to see if a specific model has a thread is good too. Dirtdawg started one on the GBEM. That is what got looking towards an online purchase.

mtbr member
    Cheap new bike vs nicer used bike - there is no RIGHT answer. You have to put your big boy pants on and make your decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    True that one has got to do an "all things considered" bit. Some of us older dudes don't have a lot of expendable extra cash. In our area there really aren't many fat bikes for sale floating around for sale. 🙃 Currently I am in a retirement community ( independent wing of a nursing home). So I have to save for extra goodies. But t once we are living on our own I plan on getting a RSD Mayor, since they are a sweet deal. The orange paint is really an eye catcher.
    I think which ever way a person goes purchase wise it's a matter of personal choice and what one can afford. Any bike you choose, as long as it is or a big box store bso/pos can always.be upgraded and be made you own personal "happiness" machine. Remember we're all in this together, I'm pulling for you as Red Green used to say.

Oldbear (I am a young 64 and a toys r us kid forever)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Olbear6252 View Post
    True that one has got to do an "all things considered" bit. Some of us older dudes don't have a lot of expendable extra cash. In our area there really aren't many fat bikes for sale floating around for sale. 🙃 Currently I am in a retirement community ( independent wing of a nursing home). So I have to save for extra goodies. But t once we are living on our own I plan on getting a RSD Mayor, since they are a sweet deal. The orange paint is really an eye catcher.
    I think which ever way a person goes purchase wise it's a matter of personal choice and what one can afford. Any bike you choose, as long as it is or a big box store bso/pos can always.be upgraded and be made you own personal "happiness" machine. Remember we're all in this together, I'm pulling for you as Red Green used to say.

Oldbear (I am a young 64 and a toys r us kid forever)
    after a few miles on the local singletrack I stopped into a LBS near the trail... FELT DD70 was posted at $999.00.... seemed like a nice rig

mtbr member
    We got our first fatty off Craigslist Anchorage. It had about 6months on it. And had n't been jumped or thrashed. And had been professionally set up. We got it for the price of new plus shipping. But minus the build and adjustment costs . And got some extras at cheap$$ . . It was and is perfect for what it is. Now it's my wife's and I have a Cogburn. Now , I want severalother fattys. If I found a Moony for $650. And I actually had the $650. It would go home with me in a new York second. What a deal!!!
    Mtbr is a great forum . With folks from every walk of life. Don't stress about the independent (self appointed) forum moderators. Their just the single greatest human being to every sit on a bicycle in the history of the planet. . But then next week they may have the answer to some intrinsic question that u have.
    My recommendation, get a bike that fits AND will take at least 4.6" actual width tires. It's easy to run 3.8" tires on a frame that will fit 2XL Snowshoe s . But not vice versa.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    We got our first fatty off Craigslist Anchorage. It had about 6months on it. And had n't been jumped or thrashed. And had been professionally set up. We got it for the price of new plus shipping. But minus the build and adjustment costs . And got some extras at cheap$$ . . It was and is perfect for what it is. Now it's my wife's and I have a Cogburn. Now , I want severalother fattys. If I found a Moony for $650. And I actually had the $650. It would go home with me in a new York second. What a deal!!!
    Mtbr is a great forum . With folks from every walk of life. Don't stress about the independent (self appointed) forum moderators. Their just the single greatest human being to every sit on a bicycle in the history of the planet. . But then next week they may have the answer to some intrinsic question that u have.
    My recommendation, get a bike that fits AND will take at least 4.6" actual width tires. It's easy to run 3.8" tires on a frame that will fit 2XL Snowshoe s . But not vice versa.
    thanks for the reply..... here's how the story ended for now ---->> I had gone to several stores while on the road for sales (I sell bearings)....so when I saw a LBS I'd drop in... 3 stores had me check out what they had and all pushed me on the Mediums they had on the floor...
    A good guy I met on the trails suggested based on my size I have a peak at Small for Fatbike if I could find one in stock. Not much in stock but a store had rentals and between S and M the Small was what I needed...... hmm.
    I checked for a week or so on facebook and found a few deals used... Targeted a Surly >>> had to drive a couple of hours but not a big deal. seller was very nice to deal with and she threw in some extras ....

....thanks to all that responded with a piece or two of advice....

FB&H rider
    Congrats on your new fattie! May you rider her well!
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    For those searching and finding this thread later, also ask for upcoming sales at local bike shops. I have shopped sales and saved a ton on new bikes. A friend just bought a Scott Big Jon for $1K rather than the regular $1,500, at LL Bean no less.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Brackish
    Of course I skimmed that thread. My question was more along the line of - is it better to identify a new bike at that price range or target a used bike in that range that had a much higher MSRP, but because the bike is used it falls in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Either way will be fine, it just depends on your comfort level with buying used bikes.