Q-factor in fat bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Q-factor in fat bikes

Hello ...
    I just came from France to live in Alaska and I'm really interested about fat bikes.

In France, I rode a Giant XTC carbon bike which weighs less than 20 pounds with a 68 mm bottom bracket.

I have had some knee issues in the past and I'm really afraid about riding a 100 mm width bottom bracket.

The Q-factor on a bike like this must be very big.

All of you have ridden fat bikes for a long time (as well as other bikes too) and I was wondering if the big distance between the two pedals hurts you knees or not even after a 5 hour ride ...or even after a year.

Thanks a lot

Nico

mtbr member
    hi there, i prefer the wider 100mm BB now,i think i spin lower now on average than i used to on regular bikes,i didnt really give it much thought actully when i started riding the pugsley,not until i went out on a cannondale suspension bike after a soild 2 months on the pug and it felt wierd!,so no personaly ive had no probs,my average distances are 20-30 miles midweek and 30-45 miles at weekend days riding and have done several 50+mile 6-8 hour days with no probs,proberly the alaskan snow racers are the guys to ask as they do big miles in hard conditions
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can't say that either hurt my knees. Riding my very narrow Q track bike or my very wide Q fat bike. Going back and forth is a little weird at first, but I don't even notice anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    no problems other than the somewhat awkward 5 minute transition period. normally 30-40 miles at a time, although I've done a couple 100+ mile rides. however, after experimenting with crank lengths from 165-180mm I found that long cranks and lower rpms was a better fit for me with the pugsley.

A Surly Maverick
    I like the wider stance personally
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    One reason I haven't gone and may never go fully fat is Q-factor. I am definitely sensitive to it, enough so that I had problems when MTBs went away from square-taper BBs. I'm actually running an old square crankset now for that reason.

Everybody's body is different, so some people are more sensitive to Q-factor than others. I suspect that the taller a person is, the less chance there is that they'll have a problem with a larger Q-factor, as the outward angle at the hips will be less the longer one's legs are.

mtbr member

numbers

it would be really great to get some actual numbers

including differences among the current options when running 100mm BB's

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    phil wood is square taper 100 :P

im 5"10 and dont really notice it, i think if the saddle is right for your sit bones, the seat is the right height, and the crank arms are the right length- all the rest is secondary in relation to knees etc. I have some seriously bad knees (you can even tell as soon as you look at them!) and im severely flat footed, my pug doesnt effect anything, in fact its more comfortable than my old late 70's colnago master piu, or my mary 29er....actually since pugging up nothing else ever gets ridden anymore!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0