Pump for fatbike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Pump for fatbike

Need a new pump for my fatbike as my old one broke. Any suggestions for a good quality and low weight pump that I can fit to the bike or put in my backpack?

mtbr member
    Simply this - the biggest one you can carry.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate, I have both a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL and a Topeak Mountain TT Twin Turbo.

The Floor Drive XL is the best pump for 4 inch and larger tyres. Not small but it fits in my frame bag or can be mounted to the frame. Makes short work of changing tyre pressures.

The Mountain TT, is mainly for my 3 inch plus bikes but if I want to travel light is a good choice.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    fat-bike.com did a comparison of pumps for fat bikes, the Lezyne came out on top. I use a Topeak Mountain Morph which was one of the other pumps on test. I've inflated a 4" tyre from flat in less than two minutes using it.

Both the Topeak and Lezyne have fold out bases and T-handles to make inflation easier.

Edit: here's the link https://fat-bike.com/2015/05/trail-pump-shootout/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Topeak mountain morph, it's about as high volume as you can get, very easy to use (important for a fatbike in the cold), fits nicely in the long-pouch on the side of my revelate frame-bag. I'll often vary my pressure by 10 pump strokes, counting pump strokes to fill or make changes. I had one for about 7 years until I fell on it and bent it, bruising some ribs, so I'm on my 2nd, had this one for...about 7 years too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have had good luck with the blackburn 2 stage mini. It pumps a decent amount of air volume for a mini. Fits in revelate frame pack pump loops very well. https://www.blackburndesign.com/pump...mini-pump.html.
    Last edited by urmb; 02-19-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Adding link

Human Test Subject
    An air compressor and a really long extension cord. Any other pump will just tire you out.

mtbr member
    I did some quick math on pumps I currently have. The differences were stark.

Pump for fatbike-fe64bcd2-1a81-49fa-982a-0f6d0eaea492.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And all of it means nothing of you cant actuate the levers or screw knobs in the cold (if you fatbike in the cold). Itís often not as simple as it sounds/seems. I have a nice syncros that doesnít work for beans in the cold because of what it requires your fingers to do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And all of it means nothing of you can't actuate the levers or screw knobs in the cold (if you fatbike in the cold). Itís often not as simple as it sounds/seems. I have a nice syncros that doesnít work for beans in the cold because of what it requires your fingers to do.
    +1 to this. It's all well and good being able to work things in the comfort of your home/garage, it's quite another out in the wild when it's blowing a hoolie*, you're cold and wet, it's 1am and your lights are on the blink. It's Murphy's Law of mountain biking: things will always go wrong in the worst location possible.

The hardest part of using the Mountain Morph is undoing the valve on the tyre before you fit the pump head on to it. After that it's operable even with thick gloves.

*Northern British/Scottish term for gale force winds with horizontal rain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been using an Axiom Dominate Air for years. I love it! It's affordable, compact, works reliably in -40c, and has reasonable volume. Unfortunately I don't see them in Axiom's catalog anymore. I hope they are not discontinued

This place needs an enema
    I use a teeny, tiny Micro Rocket all winter. Because it's light, simple, and tiny. Did I mention tiny?

I want it small enough to stick into a pocket to warm up when the seals shrink and it refuses to move any air.

I don't care if it takes a little longer to inflate a tire -- so long as it does push air when needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I was rode in Tuscobia a couple of years ago where the temp was -25. I stopped to put some air in my tire, the pump basically self destructed in my hands and let most of the air out of my tire.

I had CO2 with me as as backup.

I just carry CO2 now and forget the pump.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Lezyne Sport drive HV. has the hose thing and is very compact while moving lots of air. also very affordable (in case it gets lost)

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    And all of it means nothing of you cant actuate the levers or screw knobs in the cold (if you fatbike in the cold). Itís often not as simple as it sounds/seems. I have a nice syncros that doesnít work for beans in the cold because of what it requires your fingers to do.
    Partly why I set-up all my bikes with schrader valves. Overall I find them simpler to use, and they match all my other vehicles and inflation equipment.

All fat, all the time.
    Blackburn mammoth has treated me well for quite a few years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I did some quick math on pumps I currently have. The differences were stark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE64BCD2-1A81-49FA-982A-0F6D0EAEA492.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	1238767
    Nice!

It all depends on what you want. I carried both version of the Lezyne micro floor pump HP and XL carried on my frame. They are well made and work great. My problem is that I seldom used them and they got corrosion from road salt and/or ocean salt and required rebuilding with very little actual use (my own fault). Perhaps I should have wrapped them with saran wrap.

So, anyway, now I want the smallest lightest pump I can carry in my jersey/coat. Bigger is not always better. YMMV
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I use a teeny, tiny Micro Rocket all winter. ...
    I want it small enough to stick into a pocket to warm up when the seals shrink and it refuses to move any air. ...
    Nice tip!
    That's definitely more comfortable that sticking a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL down one's pants to warm it up and seeing who that impresses. Or worse, it freezes in place and someone comes down the trail while you've gotten it attached to the wheel and you're trying to pump it. And I'd hate to see a Walk Of Shame include 'you froze your what to your what?'
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    I use a bontrager mini charger pump. It fits nicely to a medium -sized alpkit possum frame bag and works well enough for me

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So I just got the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL Digital, and although the diameter is large and it moves a lot of air per stroke, the hose is severly underdimensioned, making it impossible to pump fast. It feels as if someone is covering the end of the hose with their finger, and then slowly letting the air out. I disconnected most of the hose and the pressure gauge, and even with only 4 inches of hose, it was impossible to pump fast. Also blowing through the disconnected gauge and hose revealed a lot of resistance there as well. So the whole hose system is too narrow. There's no mechanical resistance in the seals and piston, it glides very easily when pumping slowly. It simply needs a much larger diameter hose and pressure gauge. Pumping up a low pressure, large volume fatbike tire should hardly offer any resistance at all, it just needs a lot of air. I don't understand how Lezyne even let this get through the prototype stage in it's current state.

My Mountain Morph and Zefal telescopic pumps are much smaller and lighter, yet just as fast (or faster) because you can actually pump fast. Needless to say, I am very, very dissappointed in this pump.

I have contacted Lezyne and asked if they are planning on an update for the hose. It might also need a new connector between the barrel and the hose, it its equally tiny, thus requiring a redesign of the pump

Also, my wife's Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HVG suffers from the same syptoms, but much less pronounced since it pushes less air per stroke. Do Lezyne even test their products during developement?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I went with the Lezyne Sport Drive Hv Hand Pump. This was the High volume model without a gauge. I verified on a scale that it weighed 77 grams with the included hose and 85 with the under bottle mount. (Compared to the ultimate LEZYNE Micro Floor Drive XL at 365 grams which I carried for years and seldom used.) I prefer a hose over direct mount; and a screw on pump vs the friction/oring design of many models. The pump including the frame mount, devoured a $20 bill . I only want it for emergency/insurance use. I could care less if it takes me an additional 5 minutes of pumping. I wrapped it with saran wrap to keep it dry and clean and mounted it under my bottle mount. We will see if that helps! YMMV

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    2 questions if I may...

1. Has anyone parked their conscience at the door and tried the Specialized Big Bore pump?

2. How effective is it on 2.3 and 2.5 tires?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the Big Bore. It works great on my fatbike so it would be very fast on a 2.5. But as the spec on the packaging suggest only upp to about 2 bar/30 psi.

Peace.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    I have the Big Bore. It works great on my fatbike so it would be very fast on a 2.5. But as the spec on the packaging suggest only upp to about 2 bar/30 psi.

Peace.
    Thanks for the response.

Tried the Big Bore yesterday on a 29er 2.5 Aggressor tire. Wow. I actually prefer it over a Lezyne Alloy Drive, which I also tried yesterday on the same tire. Both are good but the Specialized was MUCH quicker to use, owing largely to its non screw on, retractable hose and non screw on, press on head.

The packaging that came with mine says a max of 50 PSI. I had zero trouble getting my tire to 25 PSI in no time flat (pardon the pun).

VERY impressed with the Specialized. So much so that I am returning the Lezyne for a second Specialized.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Topeak mountain morph, it's about as high volume as you can get, very easy to use (important for a fatbike in the cold), fits nicely in the long-pouch on the side of my revelate frame-bag. I'll often vary my pressure by 10 pump strokes, counting pump strokes to fill or make changes. I had one for about 7 years until I fell on it and bent it, bruising some ribs, so I'm on my 2nd, had this one for...about 7 years too.
    This pump. I've had mine for 5 years and it's amazing. Gets your tire seated/to pressure with relatively little work

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Tried the Big Bore yesterday on a 29er 2.5 Aggressor tire. Wow...the Specialized was MUCH quicker to use, owing largely to its non screw on, retractable hose and non screw on, press on head.

The packaging that came with mine says a max of 50 PSI. I had zero trouble getting my tire to 25 PSI in no time flat (pardon the pun).

VERY impressed with the Specialized...
    Great too hear!

Looks like, though, that there are several versions of this pump. My label looks like this:

Pump for fatbike-pompa_ban_specialized_big_bore___new.jpg

Peace.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    Great too hear!

Looks like, though, that there are several versions of this pump. My label looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pompa_ban_Specialized_big_bore___NEW.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	1243808

Peace.
    Wow. Thatís bizarre.

I will say this - for as much heat as Specialized gets, they are being more than fair on this pressure rating. Maybe the 30 applies to fat tires. I bet I can easily get my 2.5 tires to 40. With very little effort. I will try tonight. I will also check my packaging and post a pic.

Hereís a pic of the pump I quickly took this morning before blasting off to work. Itís going to be riding alongside a Zee cage with the EMT tool attached.

Pump for fatbike-463dbbae-4f4d-41f0-9abc-f9cee9fae452.jpg

We are talking about about the same pump, right?

Sorry about the sideways pic. I am on my phone and couldnít be bothered to resize it so that it posts properly on this site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes.90cc Big Bore.
    Last edited by Stark; 03-25-2019 at 10:28 PM.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I finally got home from work.

Here is my packaging. Bizarre.

Pump for fatbike-fullsizeoutput_c8.jpg

Anyway, 30 or 50, that pump is kick ass.

I can't seem to bond with their bikes (except maybe an SJ Evo...). But their accessories are rad AF. Cages, tools, pumps (track and mini), saddles, Bandit storage, shoes, love it all. Hell, I even have a Specialized phone case and wallet.

EDIT - one weird thing about the Big Bore is that the head won't stay on my valve if my valve is at 12:00, which is where I normally position the wheel when I pump the tires so I don't spray sealant out the valve. With the Big Bore, I have to pump with the valve at 9:00 or 3:00. Hmmm...
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 03-26-2019 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    So I just got the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL Digital, and although the diameter is large and it moves a lot of air per stroke, the hose is severly underdimensioned, making it impossible to pump fast. It feels as if someone is covering the end of the hose with their finger, and then slowly letting the air out. I disconnected most of the hose and the pressure gauge, and even with only 4 inches of hose, it was impossible to pump fast. Also blowing through the disconnected gauge and hose revealed a lot of resistance there as well. So the whole hose system is too narrow. There's no mechanical resistance in the seals and piston, it glides very easily when pumping slowly. It simply needs a much larger diameter hose and pressure gauge. Pumping up a low pressure, large volume fatbike tire should hardly offer any resistance at all, it just needs a lot of air. I don't understand how Lezyne even let this get through the prototype stage in it's current state.

My Mountain Morph and Zefal telescopic pumps are much smaller and lighter, yet just as fast (or faster) because you can actually pump fast. Needless to say, I am very, very dissappointed in this pump.

I have contacted Lezyne and asked if they are planning on an update for the hose. It might also need a new connector between the barrel and the hose, it its equally tiny, thus requiring a redesign of the pump

Also, my wife's Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HVG suffers from the same syptoms, but much less pronounced since it pushes less air per stroke. Do Lezyne even test their products during developement?
    Bumped in to this thread, and I have to confirm this review. My wife and I have the same pumps respectively. I have experienced the exact same issue.

However, these pumps do work reliably.

When I acquired the HV one , I had a fat bike and was hoping it might make possible a tubeless bead seat in the field. Well, really not much advantage, if any.

But it's also true that some valve stems are attenuated by sealant, which restricts the ingress of air.

Still, the HV pump is easy to use. I did not get a pressure gauge version. In fact last Sunday I fixed a 27+ flat with , and it went quickly

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have seated a FBF a few times in the field with the MFD-XL (no gauge). The trick is to slap the top of the tire at the same time youíre on the downstroke. Once it takes, itíll pump up normally so long as you donít move the tire. Slapping it compresses the air inside the tire and forces the bead outwards, and on the fill stroke it should give it enough to lightly set the bead against the rim.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I have seated a FBF a few times in the field with the MFD-XL (no gauge). The trick is to slap the top of the tire at the same time youíre on the downstroke. Once it takes, itíll pump up normally so long as you donít move the tire. Slapping it compresses the air inside the tire and forces the bead outwards, and on the fill stroke it should give it enough to lightly set the bead against the rim.
    Thanks for that info.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My cheapo mini pump from Dicks fills schraeder and presta and with a turn to Hl-V or to Hl-P I can fill my fat bike tires or high pressure road tires. I don't know the brand but it works pretty good and is frame mounted or I put it in my back pack. About 12" long by 1" and stores patches and glue in the handle.
    Bill

'95 Raleigh 400, STX-RC (road, touring)
    '00 Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR (Cross Country Mtb)
    Northern N.J.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by INABIL View Post
    My cheapo mini pump from Dicks fills schraeder and presta and with a turn to Hl-V or to Hl-P I can fill my fat bike tires or high pressure road tires. I don't know the brand but it works pretty good and is frame mounted or I put it in my back pack. About 12" long by 1" and stores patches and glue in the handle.
    Sounds like this one...

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/gem-s

trail gnome
    I've tried:

• Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV Mini Pump: moves a lot of air for its size and the mini-floor pump design makes it easier to move air fast... but good luck screwing the hose onto a presta valve with winter gloves on. Also, some genius at Lezyne thought it would be clever to put an air release valve on the hose head, so as your are attempting to screw on the hose with your bare hands at -20, you are constantly hitting that release valve and letting air OUT. To their credit, the pump did come with an extension that you screw onto the hose end, and you just push the extension onto a presta valve instead of screwing it on, but that didn't work so well either.

• Blackburn Outpost HV Mini Pump: no hose to screw on, so that's good, but you need to twist the head to lock it on the valve, and it's not easy to see what direction it needs to be twisted in, because the direction indication is a barely raised black arrow on a black pump head. The last time I tried to use it, the pump malfunctioned in the extreme cold (seals shrank?) and stopped working. The pump is somewhere in the woods now. (Note: they since redesigned the head, so you flick a lever instead of twisting the head)

• Specialized Air Tool Big Bore Pump: hose that you can apply with winter gloves on - check! Easy to use - check! But then they go and screw it up by making it comically small and short. The stroke length is way to short, virtually guaranteeing that your frantic short jerking on the pump handle will cause the hose to wiggle free. We are fatbikers, not roadies. The pump doesn't need to squeeze into the back pocket of a skintight aerodynamic lycra jersey.

/rant.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    [*]...Specialized Air Tool Big Bore Pump: hose that you can apply with winter gloves on - check! Easy to use - check! But then they go and screw it up by making it comically small and short. The stroke length is way to short, virtually guaranteeing that your frantic short jerking on the pump handle will cause the hose to wiggle free. We are fatbikers, not roadies. The pump doesn't need to squeeze into the back pocket of a skintight aerodynamic lycra jersey. [/LIST]

/rant.
    Like I mentioned above, when I put the valve at 12:00 (which is where I normally put it to pump so I don't spray sealant all over the place), the hose easily comes off. When I put the valve at 9:00 or 3:00 instead of 12:00, the head of the hose does not pop off. Ever. It stays firmly on the valve until I am done pumping.

I actually have 2 Big Bore pumps and I can say that both are identical in this regard.

Not sure if you are pumping with the valve at 12:00 but if so, your experience may be better if you rotate your wheel so that the valve is closer to 9:00 or 3:00. Presumably gravity is the culprit here. At least for me.

mtbr member

Pump for fatbike

Never had an issue with my specialized pump coming off. Maybe your not pushing it on hard enough? It also has to Click on, not just push on, once its clicked its near impossible to remove.

I like the size, i put it in my XL specialized seat bag, has a little tube sleeve in it that it fits . Has a second pocket for my multi tool, then i can fit a second pair of gloves and cap in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....