pump- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: pump

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    487

    pump

    sorry if this has been addressed before.What do you folks use for pumps on the ride?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266
    I would like to know some fat pumper options as well. I know my little hand pump that I use for my XC tires won't touch the Endo's without losing half the day in riding, lol. I'd like to hear some economical and high class pump options.

  3. #3
    Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,944
    For a complete fill from flat (he says, thinking about how long it takes with a compressor....)?

    I'd look at high volume CO2 canisters. You can regulate flow so it doesn't over fill, but it won't take all day either.

    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/co...-hang-tab.html

    Worth noting, I have not tried these, but it's the biggest volume one I'm aware of. 16 gms will fill an MTB to 40ish, so 40 gms ought to get you somewhere, no?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,126
    high end for me is a top peak `mountain morph` at 30 (UK) but the seals perish if exposed to salt air/water..cheaper is the black burn `mammoth 3` around half price which although dosnt pump as much air is like another 2 blackburn pumps i have had for years without problems and is easily rebuildable and use just an O ring,i have one in a waterproof puncture repair outfit just in case that also has a shimano chain rivet and sram quick link, i also carry 2 CO2 bottles and inflator, motorcycle enduro ones as a bit bigger than bicycle ones, having Schrader (car type) valve tubes alow using these and a compressor when in the workshop

    does anyone know where to get a waterproof container which a pump will fit into smugly?,then put it in a frame bag... trying to full waterproof all tools and spares
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266
    I think I'm gonna go with the MT Morph. I live by the beach and plan on a bit of beach riding. So, I'll be sure to store it in something to seal it from the salt air. Other then that issue was it a decent pump coastkid?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aljee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    306
    i use the mini-morph pump. i wish i would have go the mt. morph in retrospect, but this is doing ok. there is a little fold-out foot tab on the mini (think it is on the other morphs too). you can step on that and pump pretty quickly and efficiently. the hose is just long enough to get up over the rim to the valve. i like that it is small enough to fit in my small handle bar bag.
    if i road where it is very cold, I would think the CO2 would be beneficial in saving time and not getting frostbite, though i would also wonder how well CO2 works in sub-zero temps.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,126
    the mountain morph is a decent pump,it too has a folding foot stand and a flexi hose so is a bit like a mini trackpump...there is as service kit available too for the valve head
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gomadtroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06
    I would like to know some fat pumper options as well. I know my little hand pump that I use for my XC tires won't touch the Endo's without losing half the day in riding, lol. I'd like to hear some economical and high class pump options.

    It seems like there is less air (mass) in my 3.7"" Endo @ 8 psi than my 42-622 @ 80 psi. High volume low pressure vs low volume high pressure, according to how many pump strokes for each.

  9. #9
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    How many 16g cO2's will it take to get an endo to 8 psi or so?? Anyone know?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FredBMOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    103
    Another vote for the mountain morph. I used today to fill up an endo from 0 psi and it didn't take very long at all. I only wish that it had a pressure gauge built in.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266
    I just got my mountain morph Friday, but haven't had a chance to try it since we got like 2ft+ of snow! I'll give my opinion on it after my use.

    Here is the mountain morph with a guage on it...
    Turbo Morph G Pump

    I have this guage and it reads the lower pressure of the Endo's...
    Beto Digital Air Pressure Guage

  12. #12
    Lighten up.
    Reputation: mangoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06

    I have this guage and it reads the lower pressure of the Endo's...
    Beto Digital Air Pressure Guage
    I was wondering about that issue (gauges not reading the Endo's pressure). I knew my floor pump was in good shape, but couldn't figure out why it wasn't registering ANY reading on the dial as I pumped...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman
    I was wondering about that issue (gauges not reading the Endo's pressure). I knew my floor pump was in good shape, but couldn't figure out why it wasn't registering ANY reading on the dial as I pumped...
    Yea, the digital gauge I have read 7-8psi fine when I checked the endos last.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30

    lezyne

    This is a great pump...
    http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/prod...loy-drive.html
    (I think that's the one, REI has them but their website isn't working right now)

    It screws on the valve stem (no plastic lever or valve) and is all rubber o-rings and metal. The only plastic is the internal plunger and it has a o-ring and isn't under stress that might break it.

    After two other people's pumps broke last week at -20F this pump was working great and was borrowed several times during then night.

    I've aired up from a complete flat and it's a lot of pumping but does eventually fill...it's a hand pump after all.

    I've had very bad luck with co2 in the cold. The liquid co2 dumped out all over my hands and up my sleeve, it was very slow to turn into a vapor and wouldn't go into the valvestem. I'll never use co2 in the winter again.

    good luck...

  15. #15
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Good data on the co2 Bob. Yet another reason for me to not even consider bringing them.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    582
    For fat tires and without masochist tendencies or with a total disregard for a low eco footprint (CO2 throw-away cartridges... shame on those even considering that...) you can only end up choosing a minipump that works like a floor pump. With such a "minifloorpump" I can pump an endo or a 2.4 tire to full infaltion without stopping once.

    The Mountain Morph is a very good pump, but I already broke two (I work as a mtb guide so I need to pump up a lot of tires ). For occasional use it's probably going to last a few years. And the switch to schrader/presta is the old fashioned way, by unscrewing the valve top, flipping the innards and putting everything back again. Not so great with cold or muddy fingers...

    More solid options are the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pumps (the HV - high volume - models). Very well, even beautifully made, entirely of alloy. Works good, changing between valve types is easier (by unscrewing, then flipping the entire valve head). Only the pump handle might have been a tad bigger (for my big hands).

    http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/prod...-drive-hv.html

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gomadtroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_ostrom
    This is a great pump...
    http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/prod...loy-drive.html
    (I think that's the one, REI has them but their website isn't working right now)
    snip
    good luck..

    Be careful , the Lezyne pump at REI is the road version, the mtb version has the designation HV added to the description, and only inflates to 90psi.

  18. #18
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco
    For fat tires and without masochist tendencies or with a total disregard for a low eco footprint (CO2 throw-away cartridges... shame on those even considering that...) you can only end up choosing a minipump that works like a floor pump. With such a "minifloorpump" I can pump an endo or a 2.4 tire to full infaltion without stopping once.

    The Mountain Morph is a very good pump, but I already broke two (I work as a mtb guide so I need to pump up a lot of tires ). For occasional use it's probably going to last a few years. And the switch to schrader/presta is the old fashioned way, by unscrewing the valve top, flipping the innards and putting everything back again. Not so great with cold or muddy fingers...

    More solid options are the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pumps (the HV - high volume - models). Very well, even beautifully made, entirely of alloy. Works good, changing between valve types is easier (by unscrewing, then flipping the entire valve head). Only the pump handle might have been a tad bigger (for my big hands).

    http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/prod...-drive-hv.html

    Yes, shame on you if you've been throwing away RECYCLABLE co2 cartriges...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    582
    Yes, shame on you if you've been throwing away RECYCLABLE co2 cartriges...

    That might be an interesting poll... to check how many cyclists actually take their empty cartidges to the scrapyard to have those recycled.

    My bet (and experience) is that more end up in some ditch by the roadside . I've used some in my racing days, but even then never felt comfortable with that practice. For a recreational cyclist they're inexcusable. Go pump !

  20. #20
    Lighten up.
    Reputation: mangoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by gomadtroll
    Be careful , the Lezyne pump at REI is the road version, the mtb version has the designation HV added to the description, and only inflates to 90psi.
    Wait...could you clarify that, please? The MTB version only pumps to 90psi, right? (which makes sense, I think...)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by gomadtroll
    Be careful , the Lezyne pump at REI is the road version, the mtb version has the designation HV added to the description, and only inflates to 90psi.
    The REI here carried 3 versions, road, mtb, HV mtb.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gomadtroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman
    Wait...could you clarify that, please? The MTB version only pumps to 90psi, right? (which makes sense, I think...)
    My reference was about REI online. Yes, the MTB HV one does 90 psi,

  23. #23
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: Pigtire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    806
    I had the HV Alloy Drive but returned it to REI because at the last portion of the stroke it was harder to pump compared to my trusty 10 year old Blackburn Mammoth pump(blame my wimpy arms). I might try the Microfloor Drive version to see if it pumps better.





    Quote Originally Posted by bob_ostrom
    This is a great pump...
    http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/prod...loy-drive.html
    (I think that's the one, REI has them but their website isn't working right now)

    It screws on the valve stem (no plastic lever or valve) and is all rubber o-rings and metal. The only plastic is the internal plunger and it has a o-ring and isn't under stress that might break it.

    After two other people's pumps broke last week at -20F this pump was working great and was borrowed several times during then night.

    I've aired up from a complete flat and it's a lot of pumping but does eventually fill...it's a hand pump after all.

    I've had very bad luck with co2 in the cold. The liquid co2 dumped out all over my hands and up my sleeve, it was very slow to turn into a vapor and wouldn't go into the valvestem. I'll never use co2 in the winter again.

    good luck...

  24. #24
    Lighten up.
    Reputation: mangoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,089
    Just ordered a Lezyne Alloy (medium) this morning.
    Last edited by mangoman; 02-08-2010 at 08:53 AM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    280
    on a (slight) tangent here...

    I'm usually out (on the bike) when I want to mess around with tyre pressures. And while I carry a HPX for pumping duties... beyond "yeeehhhhhhh that feels about right"... getting the pressure right is pretty much a hit or miss affair. And with an Endo'... a couple of psi is everything.

    Does anyone know of a reasonably accurate presta valve pressure gauge?

    Getting one that is accurate down to 5psi seems to be the issue.

    Elvis.
    www.dirtworks.com.au
    www.mudsweatngears.blogspot.com
    www.desertchallenge.org
    Last edited by Elvis @ Dirt Works; 02-10-2010 at 01:00 AM.

  26. #26
    Lighten up.
    Reputation: mangoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works
    on a (slight) tangent here...

    I'm usually out (on the bike) when I want to mess around with tyre pressures. And while I carry a HPX for pumping duties... beyond "yeeehhhhhhh that feels about right"... getting the pressure right is pretty much a hit or miss affair. And with an Endo'... a couple of psi is everything.

    Does anyone know of a reasonably accurate presta valve pressure gauge?

    Getting one that is accurate down to 5psi seems to be the issue.

    Elvis.
    I watched a wrench at a LBS try a digital one from Topeak on my Endo and Larry today. What a joke. Five tries, and five different readings from 6psi to 21psi.

    Fail.

  27. #27
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works
    on a (slight) tangent here...

    I'm usually out (on the bike) when I want to mess around with tyre pressures. And while I carry a HPX for pumping duties... beyond "yeeehhhhhhh that feels about right"... getting the pressure right is pretty much a hit or miss affair. And with an Endo'... a couple of psi is everything.

    Does anyone know of a reasonably accurate presta valve pressure gauge?

    Getting one that is accurate down to 5psi seems to be the issue.

    Elvis.

    Are you using some type of gauge to measure the firmness and texture of the snow as well? If you want to carry a gauge, more power to you, but I have to wonder if it's really necessary to know that you're exactly at 4 or 6 or 11.2 psi on snow. I would think that you could fairly quickly develop a feel for whether or not the tire is at the optimum pressure for the conditions without one.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Are you using some type of gauge to measure the firmness and texture of the snow as well? If you want to carry a gauge, more power to you, but I have to wonder if it's really necessary to know that you're exactly at 4 or 6 or 11.2 psi on snow.
    "snow"? what's that?

    we get very little of that in Australia. Plenty of sand though.

    I'm currently using the Pug' on regular hardpack. But I'll be riding it over a desert this year and wanted to experiment more with pressures was all.

    Plus... based on two different track pump gauges... I have both 10psi and 20psi in the same tyre... that's a wide enough range that I'd like to get somewhat closer.

    Elvis.
    www.dirtworks.com.au
    www.mudsweatngears.blogspot.com
    www.desertchallenge.org

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71
    high end for me is a top peak `mountain morph` at 30 (UK) but the seals perish if exposed to salt air/water..cheaper is the black burn `mammoth 3` around half price which although dosnt pump as much air is like another 2 blackburn pumps i have had for years without problems and is easily rebuildable and use just an O ring,i have one in a waterproof puncture repair outfit just in case that also has a shimano chain rivet and sram quick link, i also carry 2 CO2 bottles and inflator, motorcycle enduro ones as a bit bigger than bicycle ones, having Schrader (car type) valve tubes alow using these and a compressor when in the workshop

    does anyone know where to get a waterproof container which a pump will fit into smugly?,then put it in a frame bag... trying to full waterproof all tools and spares
    Hey CK, May be worth looking at a Pelican 1090 or simular, I use one for my Toshiba laptop, which is what they're designed for but I reckon it'd do the trick. There are smaller units available, here's a link to the Pelican page that has these type of cases on it, have a look and see what you think. I've owned one particular Pelican case for over 20 years and I have a habit of saying to my gear, when I throw it in the back of the car, "Welcome to the Melville Family".......... Whizz around EBay, I did, mine cost me a fraction of the price, with postage out of the US, than it would've cost me here in Aus. Good luck.

    Al

    http://www.pelican.com/case_category...seSize=%&New=%

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works
    "snow"? what's that?

    we get very little of that in Australia. Plenty of sand though.

    I'm currently using the Pug' on regular hardpack. But I'll be riding it over a desert this year and wanted to experiment more with pressures was all.

    Plus... based on two different track pump gauges... I have both 10psi and 20psi in the same tyre... that's a wide enough range that I'd like to get somewhat closer.

    Elvis.
    www.dirtworks.com.au
    www.mudsweatngears.blogspot.com
    www.desertchallenge.org
    Elvis,

    You doing the Simpson Desert Challenge????? If so, good choice on the pugs, I've often wondered why that bunch of weidos weren't on fatbikes........Might see you there, I'll be in Western QLD working on a pipeline project if all goes well.

    Al

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06
    I have this guage and it reads the lower pressure of the Endo's...
    Beto Digital Air Pressure Guage
    This one that I posted seems to be giving me accurate readings and it even has a button to bleed air if you want to decrease your pressure.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm
    Elvis,

    You doing the Simpson Desert Challenge????? If so, good choice on the pugs, I've often wondered why that bunch of weidos weren't on fatbikes........Might see you there, I'll be in Western QLD working on a pipeline project if all goes well.

    Al
    this will be my third year. previous two were on an Ibis Mojo SL with a trick/lightweight/uber bling parts build.

    This year common sense is taking over. Pug' it is. And I won't be the only one. One of the support crew from 2009 i riding on a Pug' as well. AND HE'S 72YO!!!

    Elvis.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.