Pulling the trigger on a fat bike choice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Pulling the trigger on a fat bike choice

Hey guys the time has come to finally pull the trigger and get one of the bikes I've limited it down to. As previously posted i wanted the ICT. After some reading i realized weight was an issue with it. Unfortunately I cant test ride many bikes in my area. But I have limited my choices to treak farley 7/9.6, salsa mukluk, growler nitro stout and lastly the fatback skookum. I have a 29er now and am looking for a fun fast fat bike to ride all year. I mostly ride single trail paved trail, ,urban riding sand riding what i can with the 29er. Unfortunately I don't know much about the different components just basics. Thanks for any input or other ideas before i pull the trigger thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Consider
    • Now it's more common for riders to have a fat for winter (or soft ground), then a 29er or such for the other seasons with regular ground (or a fat and two wheel sets).
    • If weight was an issue with the ICT, and you want fun & fast, you may wish to look at tubeless. Less weight & less rolling resistance, can be more conforming to ground for a better grip. Some puncture/thorn tolerance benefits too. So does a bike you're considering have a tubeless/tubeless-ready option or will be buying that or DIYing that.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have read about some big discounts on Salsa Bikes, I would at least look into it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    "single trail paved trail, ,urban riding sand riding what i can with the 29er. "

Look at the plus size bikes, since 75% of your riding is hard surfaces and 25% is soft surfaces.

mtbr member
    If you want a Trek, It doesn't sound like you'll need the Farley 7's Mastodon based on your riding preferences.
    So save ~8 pounds and go with the 9.6 Farley with rigid fork. (then drop another 2 pounds with tubeless setup)

I have both and can't decide which one I like better now (first world problems lol)
    ...the 9.6 was on sale last week ($600 off) and I could not resist adding it to the stable.

Do you get any snow/ice where you ride?

I ride Fat all year round and so does the Wifey, part of the reason I have 3 Farley's now.
    All are on 27.5"x4.5" tires and setup tubeless. (Studded Gnarwhal's for Winter, Barbegazi's for everything else.)

The Farley 7's come with Gnarwhal's that are stud-ready and ideal for Winter snow/ice.
    The Farley 9.6's come with faster rolling, lighter Barbegazi's that are perfect for the rest of the year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pulling the trigger on a fat bike choice-20200516_114309%5B1%5D.jpg  

Pulling the trigger on a fat bike choice-new_wall_paper.jpg  

2020 Farley 9.6 Matte Olive
    2020 Farley 7 ROARange
    2018 Farley 7 Viper Red

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyhill View Post
    Hey guys the time has come to finally pull the trigger and get one of the bikes I've limited it down to. As previously posted i wanted the ICT. After some reading i realized weight was an issue with it. Unfortunately I cant test ride many bikes in my area. But I have limited my choices to treak farley 7/9.6, salsa mukluk, growler nitro stout and lastly the fatback skookum. I have a 29er now and am looking for a fun fast fat bike to ride all year. I mostly ride single trail paved trail, ,urban riding sand riding what i can with the 29er. Unfortunately I don't know much about the different components just basics. Thanks for any input or other ideas before i pull the trigger thanks a lot.
    https://shop.fatbackbikes.com/fatbac...979&quantity=1

I admit bias as I'm on my second Corvus, but I've definitely ridden quite a few fat bikes over the past 7 years and I think that if you're looking for a fun, fast, fatbike you don't have to look much farther than the Skookum. The company and founder are very active with our local trail advocacy group, they are a leader in the segment and most of all they just really like riding fun bikes!

https://youtu.be/kooj4Jf5bEA