Pugsley and the sizing rules- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pugsley and the sizing rules

I know that this has been discussed off and on for ages but I'm a little confused.

I'm about to buy a Pugs. I'm 6 feet tall and have a 33" inseam.

On the surly site I'm between an 18" and a 20" pugsley. I ride a large (19") stump jumper and a 56cm road frame normally.

I sat on both last week and both were comfortable but I understand from different forums that you should go smaller for the increased stand over height but what about overlap with the front wheel? I have size 9 feet (small i know)

The guy at Bow Cycles said that I would be a 20" for sure but he didn't know about the need for increased stand over height with snow.......and also that your height will change with winter boots.

I'm a bit confused guys and would love some input....... I wanna start fatbiking soon but I need to know what size frame I will need before I order.

Richie

mtbr member
    Be wary of anyone that knows what size you need for sure. Only you will know.

I have a 16 inch pugs. 5' 9" 30 inch inseam. Just found it super comfortable and more playful than the size up.
    But even so i prefer slightly smaller rigs than what charts tell me and especially what lbs tells me.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 10-1/2"
    31" inseam
    Size 8.5 feet...

.... and own an 18" Pug.

There are moments when i wish i'd bought a smaller frame for similair reasons as stated by thickfog, as mine gets thrown around the trails as well as ridden on the beach, dunes, woods & bogs.

Standover room was always on my mind before buying but having ridden it on various terrain in the UK i have not found it a real issue, more a different type of bike so a different way of riding.

So far NO regrets and

Just an extra note, in case it helps, other mountain bikes i ride xc, are full suss & hardtail, both are 26ers and 18"
    Leave nothing but footprints & take nothing but photographs.

mtbr member
    5'10" 30" inseam. I ride a 16" with no regrets.

I actually made the mistake once and bought a 19" Stump Jumper and regretted the decision. Great bike but just a little too close for comfort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    5'10" x 33" and I went with the 18". The 16" was too short (TT wise) for my gorilla (34") arms.

mtbr member
    Richie if you can ride both sizes do it. You seem like you have plenty of experience on bikes to know what feels right to you. Since you ride a 56 inch road bike, and have a relatively short back to leg ratio it seems like a shorter top tube is something you find comfortable.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    5' -11 1/2" 30.5" inseam (yep, I have stubby legs).

I went with the 18 because I needed a longer cabin for my long torso. Standover makes me a little nervous but how many times have you dismounted, either on purpose or accidentally, with both feet flat on the ground strattling the frame? For me that would be never. I've never taken a nut shot with my Pug and I've had it on some pretty aggressive single track.

I'd say buy the bike that has the most appropriate top tube and the most comfortable seat-to-handlebar relationship.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    I'd say buy the bike that has the most appropriate top tube and the most comfortable seat-to-handlebar relationship.
    +100 - don't size your bike based on stand over. If you aren't happy with the SO on the frame that gives you the right effective TT buy different model fat bike don't buy a size smaller to make it work.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Ironically enough, I too have a 19" Stumpjumper Comp 29er and a 56cm Trek 2.3 Road bike. I bought a 20" Pugs. I test rode an 18" and it was way too small. I have stubby legs and a very long torso. I have taken the advice of worrying about top tube length before standover, obviously as long it's not plain as day that you're standing on tippy toes or something crazy like that. I worry about riding comfort not standing comfort (as long as my balls stay in tact, LOL!).
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys,

Today I managed to get down to Bow and got on both bikes. The bars that Pugs come with are curved back towards the rider. I normally ride a straight bar. I think the bars are making the bike feel too short for me.

The 20" felt stretched out so I thinks its going to be an 18". I have 29" arms too so I'm long legs, short torso and arms. The advice about the top tube length over stand over height is definitely correct.

Now to find someone who has Pugs frames…everyone's out of them that I've called so far. Iwill keep looking. I hope to build a 2x9 with Rolling Darryl's and have some fun.

Thanks again…I love this forum…Richie

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Purple Purfection

It took some fiddlin' but my '06 size XL (22") Pugsley is now the best fitting mountainbike I've ever owned and its dimensions will help shape future purchases. I am 6'3' but disproportionately long-legged (38.5+" actual inseam, 33.25" BB CL to saddle top) so the challenge was getting the bar height about equal with the seat! Using the full-length uncut steerer tube, a stack o' spacers, Thomson riser stem, and Answer ProTaper DH high-rise handlebar the goal of a nice and neutral riding position has been achieved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    It took some fiddlin' but my '06 size XL (22") Pugsley is now the best fitting mountainbike I've ever owned
    +1 - that's awesome and something we should be talking about more often than just what bits of bling we hang off our rigs...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    It took some fiddlin' but my '06 size XL (22") Pugsley is now the best fitting mountainbike I've ever owned and its dimensions will help shape future purchases. I am 6'3' but disproportionately long-legged (38.5+" actual inseam, 33.25" BB CL to saddle top) so the challenge was getting the bar height about equal with the seat! Using the full-length uncut steerer tube, a stack o' spacers, Thomson riser stem, and Answer ProTaper DH high-rise handlebar the goal of a nice and neutral riding position has been achieved.
    Wow, I though I was disproportionately long-legged at 6'2" and 34" inseam!

My biggest complaint with the Pugsley and Karate Monkey are the too-short head tubes.

I ride a 20" KM and would get a 20" Pug if I hadn't gone with a 907 for the higher head tube.

Geordie biker
    6ft here with a 20'' pugs, the standover is fine as it actually has a 18'' toptube height.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 31 1/2 inseam and went with the 2012 18" Fatback because it just felt right. I was smack dab in the middle of the 2012 medium and large 907. Size was the biggest reason for picking the frame I did.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.