Pugsley for singletrack duties- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Pugsley for singletrack duties

I really want to get a new bike (currently have an ss rigid karate monkey) and I'm contemplating the pugsley. I would love the ICT, but pricewise I can get the pug waaaay faster as its much cheaper. I know the ICT is much more "optomized" for trail riding where as the pug is more for longer rides comfort but wanted to hear what people thought of the pug as a trail bike. I live in SoCal and unfortunately a lot of my rides involve lots of fireroading. I want to stick with a surly because, well, it's surly. Any feedback of people that actually use their pug as a full time trail bike would be great!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Don't buy into the geometry for this and that bull$hit. The pugs will go anywhere an ict will go.

I have a charge which is pretty similar to a pugs and it rides perfect no matter what the terrain. I can run 4.8 tires no prob as well. If i felt the need.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been riding a purple pugs on the trails since '07. No complaints at all. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You won't go wrong with a Pugsley. Going on 4 years with mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley for singletrack duties-pip_11_146-149.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Don't buy into the geometry for this and that bull$hit...
    I agree.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Had my pug for a year. Love it. Got the green ops. It goes anywhere. Get one .
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

I honestly don't think Pugsley's will ever go out of style. They are "the" original fat bike and mean business wherever they go. A couple guys were racing them at the downhill race last weekend and doing quite well at it.

mtbr member
    My Pug was great for singletrack! Was tons of fun.

I did upgrade to a clownshoe front rim with a Bud tire.

Sometimes it was almost too wide for the trail... As seen here...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I like the Pug's geometry for trail riding. Much more than the Muk or other bikes with jacked up front ends. In fact, I liked it so much, that when I upgraded to a Ti fat bike, I picked one with almost identical geometry (Twenty2 Cycles Bully).

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    3 years with a Pugs and have used it in every condition, season and application possible, including as a trail bike/fire road/gravel grinder. It works just fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pugsley works great in singletrack - snow, dirt, or otherwise. I had a Tallboy LT that collected dust after I setup my pugss for summer duty, that was well over 1000 dirt miles ago. Just dont expect miracles in rock gardens or the bike park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Lovin mine, although I only have 11 month on it.

Here is a perspective. I bought mine off a Craigslist ad at the end of an extended road trip in the southwest. The bike was in Utah (there were bikes everywhere on C-List last spring), so I routed through and bought it, a PUG OPs, at a decent price.

I then went and stayed with my brother for a few days. My brother is pretty much into cycling, and other endurance sports. He has had National Ranking (USCF) in CX of top 15 for several years. He holds a NORBA National Championship for his age class in a race at Tahoe, about 10-15 years ago. He had just taken delivery on a S-Works (Specialized) Hardtail 29er with a retail of $8000/-20lbs.

I call him the "queen of carbon fibre". Being a bike nut, he was intrigued, but he immediately started giving me shit about this heavy, slow, steel bike, yada,yada,yada.

We then went out for a ride, and when he got his hands on the bike, I didn't get it back
    for two days. He especially enjoyed smoking some of the local young bucks who were riding their new Multi Thousand $ Squishies, while I cruised the single track with my Ogre and my dogs. He really did smoke them, on MY Pugsley. I was close enough to see.

He felt like the ride of the Pug-Ops, at speed, was like one of the very high end hard-tails of the late 90's. Not a bad recommendation.

These frames, IMHO, are not really obsolete, even for general riding.

Pugsley frames, (+907, etc) are still the top technology for expeditions, IMHO.

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    +++ On the all terrain Pugs...

Although I am fairly convinced the best bike happens to be the one you're riding, I'd support the notion of this fatty on the trail.

I picked one up in the fall of '14 after solely riding a rigid ss 29er.... I thought it was the BIZ, it took me everywhere I wanted to go, etc, etc. Then I tried my buddy's Mukluk and I had seen the world in a different light.

After rallying the fall and winter on the Pugs, the 29er was just sitting and not being ridden. I dig the traction, the semi squish on the tires and the overall feel on the trail. Its become the daily driver, (slicks in the hottest of summer time for rallying roads like a boss), and everything else on the side.

On super technical single track, I'm a bit slower, and have to play a little bit with PSI to get the right feel, but all things considered, it seems solid. I sometimes think that I want something like the On-One Fatty, or something a little more 'trail' friendly, but all those seem to be aluminum, which I would equate to a little harsher ride. Steel is Real and the Pugs won't disappoint.

Snag one!
    Cheers

mtbr member
    The only thing I'll add is that I added a quick release for the seat post. More than other bikes I've owned, I really like to get the seat out of my way when I start heading down tech trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Pugs was and still is the standard. It was the original and rides like a dream. I had a pugs for 3 years, absolutely loved it. I sold it earlier this year to a friend and was going to build up a china carbon fatty but thinking about going back to a pugs or moonlander because they were awesome. I have yet to hear anyone not like their pugs. The only complaint I have heard is weight but lets me honest, your on a fat bike, your not going to set the land speed record on it but it will put a smile on a grown man's face as if he was a kid in a candy store.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

2016 Cannondale Habit
    2014 Surly Pugsley Custom

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    My Pug was great for singletrack! Was tons of fun.

I did upgrade to a clownshoe front rim with a Bud tire.

Sometimes it was almost too wide for the trail... As seen here...

hey mouth breather, nice vid. nice to see some real singletrack. tight. the way kingdom trails was in the 90's. now you can practically ride 2-3 abreast there. the way the quebexicans like it. no bueno.

bar ends eh? you sportin power grips too? lol

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Lots of fire roads and SoCal feels like a 29er+ candidate unless you are heading into the mountains for snow or riding lots of sand. Of coarse you can get 29er+ wheels for a pugs. That said...........

Yes Virginia, you can ride a bike(hard) that has head tube angle more than 69.5 degrees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    "Quebexicans!!"

Holy fug rog. Thank you. N'er heard that one before.

Gawd Bless Uhmericuh

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    "Quebexicans!!"

Holy fug rog. Thank you. N'er heard that one before.

Gawd Bless Uhmericuh
    quebexicans riding together="TABERNAC! TWO RIDER SIDE BY EACH!!!" lol

tabernac=french swear word

rog

Downcountry AF
    I can't add much to this discussion that hasn't already been said, but here is my brief story;

I got out of suspension and back into riding hardtails over the past couple of years, after riding since about 1987. I have a Vassago Verhauen that I LOVE LOVE LOVE, best hardtail I have ever ridden. Well, I picked up a Pugs last July and the Vassago has sat virtually untouched, I just enjoy the shit out of the Pugs on a AZ hardpacked desert trails. I originally got it thinking it would make me go out and explore some of the sandier stuff, but don't be fooled that shit sucks no matter what bike you're on. I find that I am almost as fast on the Pugs when comparing my Garmin times, I think the geometry is perfect for what I like (I think people make too big a deal of slack this and short that), and it's just FUN. That's why we do this, right? Now, on the occassions where I do pull out the Vassago to throw air in the tires, it feels like I am riding a road bike. I just love the cush/fat/whatever you call it, and I can't see going back any time soon. In fact, I am looking to sell my Verhauen to fund a Verfetten frame and get back to 1 bike bliss; that is, if I don't just sell it and keep the Pugs.

I do spend a fair amount of time on my rides answering questions (I don't mind talking LOL), but I do get tired of the armchair QB's telling me the bike is heavy, slow, doesn't roll fast, etc. I got mine to a shade over 30lbs and couldn't be happier (not including the revelate bag).

YMMV.Pugsley for singletrack duties-pugs-2_22_15.jpg
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Been rolling my pugs for a few years in every condition. Great bike through all of it. Snow, gravel grinders, singletrack.....all of it.

It's brought me great joy..................and great pain.

A pic from a while ago post 70km ish point to point I wasn't at all ready for. It nearly killed me......and I loved every second of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley for singletrack duties-done.jpg  

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Ha ha, nice pic, Ska.

I also love my Pug on singletrack. Fun bike. But I also love thrashing my cross bike through ST, so.....there's that.

mtbr member
    I've fallen back in love with my pugs ops. For awhile I was eying other bikes, thinking maybe I need bigger tires or a carbon frame to have fun. But I've found a 4" rear and 5" front is perfect for my winter needs, so I no longer lust after bigger frames. And in summer, I like the ride of steel and have lost interest in spending a couple grand on a carbon frame to save a couple pounds.

I find myself in the extremely rare position of being happy with what I have. Well sort of--I just ordered a carbon fork and new tires...

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Ha ha, nice pic, Ska.

I also love my Pug on singletrack. Fun bike. But I also love thrashing my cross bike through ST, so.....there's that.
    Haha Thanks, and yes, I totally agree. I don't "live" on the Pugs and enjoy my other bikes immensely ('cross, 29er, road) but some I enjoy more than others.......and sometimes it just depends on my mood.

I gets complicated. Haha

mtbr member

The Pugs will shred trails just fine.

Plus you can feel more awesome because you are conquering the trails on an old skool rig.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This is a timely thread. Right about now bike stores in my area are having sales and I'm thinking of purchasing not only my first mountain bike, but my first new bike. I was leaning toward the Krampus because of relatively low maintenance and overall simplicity, but I'm really starting to wonder if the Pugs is a better choice. Krampus wheels could be fitted to the Pugs eventually, but I'm wondering if I'd be struggling with technical trails while I'm saving for a Krampug setup. I believe the terrain in my area (Cincitucky) is pretty rooted and rocky, and we have no shortage of steep hills, but the video Keski posted above as well everyone's comments have me thinking a Pugs and I could handle it. My back isn't in great shape but I'm pretty good about getting loose in the saddle when the going gets rough on my other bikes and the fat tires obviously absorb some shock. I dunno, I just can't see going (or being able to afford to go) full squish. It's not really my style anyway.

Sorry to thread jack. Big decision to make!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseKlaw View Post
    Krampus wheels could be fitted to the Pugs eventually, but I'm wondering if I'd be struggling with technical trails while I'm saving for a Krampug setup.

I had a Pugs for 5-6yrs. Got a Krampus and sold the Pugs.

If you aren't going to use the big tires for soft conditions then I'd get the Krampus. It's a better trail bike, but lacks the versatility of the fat tires. OTOH it can take a modern suspension fork.

If you have the need for fat tires to conquer soft conditions getting a Pugs lets you ride everything.

They are different bikes so they ride differently in addition to the difference in tires.

One thing to consider is building a custom set of 29+ wheels for a Pugs is quite expensive so verify that is a road you'll want to go down.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah it's looking like a $6-700 investment to get some 29+ wheels. That ain't cheap, but neither are suspension forks! Soft conditions include occasional snow (that melts and refreezes and becomes a deadly bumpy ice path) and plenty of mud/sand, especially along the river. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseKlaw View Post
    Yeah it's looking like a $6-700 investment to get some 29+ wheels. That ain't cheap, but neither are suspension forks! Soft conditions include occasional snow (that melts and refreezes and becomes a deadly bumpy ice path) and plenty of mud/sand, especially along the river. Hmmm...
    Given what you posted get the Pugs it will handle it all. You can deal with 29+ wheels if you want to later. You can ride trails fine on 4" tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks Vik!

mtbr member
    Best thread on the forum for a long time!
    Pugsley does indeed do everthing anything newer does
    I own 3 with 5 sets of wheels, all old Pugs with Marge rims, and different tyres along with my free offset Krampus wheels from Surly and a secondhand set i bought, running a SS, Alfine, 3x9, Nates, Larrys, or endomorphs, and 29" Rabbit hole wheel options of 29 x 2.5" and 29+ 3"

I also own a Moonlander-but that is for slow deep deep sand and washes on the coast,
    For regular trails the Pugsley is ideal, add some 29+ wheels and you can have 2 bikes in one, I am a massive fan of the `KramPug` 29+ option with the Pug,
    While the Krampus is indeed a great machine and i would love one , everything is cash related and over 7 years my old Pug collection has been cheap and fun,
    and i don`t kid myself anymore at 44 years old soon my days of shredding -and the possible injuries and down time i tend to chill out riding, i will leave that to the youngsters and for that for regular xc riding mainly seated the Pugs is ideal

Saying that i was out the saddle here last week!, two Pugsleys having fun on The Infamous `Secret Trail` here!

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Cool video coastkid! I dig that one.

To the OP, I don't do much filming anymore really but here's a video, coming close to 4 years old now I think but, it's from back when I had my Pugs set up as a single speed...........and enjoying a bit of singletrack just down the street from my place. Nothing fancy.

Again, as I said earlier, it's capable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post

...i don`t kid myself anymore at 44 years old soon my days of shredding -and the possible injuries and down time i tend to chill out riding...
    Anyone who has any doubts about a Pug's ability on a trail should get to watch old coastkid unshredding along, and then try to match him on the weapon of their choice.

I've seen him ride, he is being too modest - his inner hoon is not buried deep.

The Pug is a trail bike par excellence.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pugsley for singletrack duties-dscn2328.jpg

Pugsley for singletrack duties-dscn2345.jpg

Pugsley for singletrack duties-dscn2368.jpg

Pugsley in Italian Alps

Ska
    Steel is real.
    A meme I created (had to recreate it since I couldn't find my original) after a discussion about how the Pugs wasn't really a fatbike and it was useless in snow.

I'm not usually throwing stuff back but I couldn't resist creating this when it was all going down.

LOL

Thought you guys might appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Coastkid living up to his name! Rad footage guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the replies/info. The fatbike forum seems to be much nicer than other forums around here. I think I'm leaning towards the pug hopefully have one in a couple months!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Interesting thread as I'm contemplating a Pugs SS build.

IMO there is some merit to the geometry. I have a Moonlander as well as Canfield N9's which have short stays/slack front. Even though my trails are mostly smooth single track without much "downhill" I really like the way the Nimble 9 handles. It's SS and only a 100mm fork. I can't compare directly to the ML since that bike is geared and setup more for winter loafing. That said I did ride the ML on a more techie ride when a friend borrowed a N9, and even with Clown Shoes / Bud&Lou it did great and was a blast. The other guys were amazed how I was able to keep up and do the harder stuff.

Ideally I think an ICT would be the best choice for me but I don't like press fit BB's. BUT....there is still something about the Pugs that interests me. Part thumbing my nose at the latest and greatest, Part wanting to custom paint one like a 60's muscle car, and part keeping things basic and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Interesting thread as I'm contemplating a Pugs SS build.

IMO there is some merit to the geometry. I have a Moonlander as well as Canfield N9's which have short stays/slack front. Even though my trails are mostly smooth single track without much "downhill" I really like the way the Nimble 9 handles. It's SS and only a 100mm fork. I can't compare directly to the ML since that bike is geared and setup more for winter loafing. That said I did ride the ML on a more techie ride when a friend borrowed a N9, and even with Clown Shoes / Bud&Lou it did great and was a blast. The other guys were amazed how I was able to keep up and do the harder stuff.

Ideally I think an ICT would be the best choice for me but I don't like press fit BB's. BUT....there is still something about the Pugs that interests me. Part thumbing my nose at the latest and greatest, Part wanting to custom paint one like a 60's muscle car, and part keeping things basic and simple.
    I had one of the 1st gen N9's as well. Nice bikes. If you want to slack out the Pug, you can always go Lou front, Nate rear. That's what I run and it rails.

banned
    Sep 2008
    I own 3 with 5 sets of wheels, all old Pugs with Marge rims, and different tyres along with my free offset Krampus wheels from Surly and a secondhand set i bought, running a SS, Alfine, 3x9, Nates, Larrys, or endomorphs, and 29" Rabbit hole wheel options of 29 x 2.5" and 29+ 3"

I also own a Moonlander-but that is for slow deep deep sand and washes on the coast,
    For regular trails the Pugsley is ideal, add some 29+ wheels and you can have 2 bikes in one, I am a massive fan of the `KramPug` 29+ option with the Pug,
    While the Krampus is indeed a great machine and i would love one , everything is cash related and over 7 years my old Pug collection has been cheap and fun,
    and i don`t kid myself anymore at 44 years old soon my days of shredding -and the possible injuries and down time i tend to chill out riding, i will leave that to the youngsters and for that for regular xc riding mainly seated the Pugs is ideal

Saying that i was out the saddle here last week!, two Pugsleys having fun on The Infamous `Secret Trail` here!

dig the vid! riding is nice and busy!

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I had one of the 1st gen N9's as well. Nice bikes. If you want to slack out the Pug, you can always go Lou front, Nate rear. That's what I run and it rails.
    Like the idea but I'll be specing for summer SS duty.

Thinking HuDu/Knard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here is a film of the Pugsley on normal woodland trails.
    I had a health scare a few years back, when after a month off cycling i felt better and i then went out one day and rode my Pug in the woods where i grew up, all those old memories came flooding back that day as i rode around the woods on the estate where i grew up and cycled BMX and then MTBs, and now my Pugsley, and i am happy i did some filming as at the time i had been told there was a good chance i was going to be diagnosed with MS,
    Well i thought `Screw that i have too much to do in my life yet!` and i will always remember the Doctors face when i said to him `My Pugsley saved my life`

Pugsleys are not just for Xmas but for life

Here is the film-Long live the Pug
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Great vid (and some fancy ridin'), coastkid!

beer thief
    Pugsleys are not just for Xmas but for life
    That's a really excellent video. I have an original purple Pugs and while I have added a couple modern fat bikes, I will always make sure the Pugs gets love. Currently in the hands of one of my best buds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    [QUOTE=coastkid71;11820528]Here is a film of the Pugsley on normal woodland trails.
    I had a health scare a few years back, when after a month off cycling i felt better and i then went out one day and rode my Pug in the woods where i grew up, all those old memories came flooding back that day as i rode around the woods on the estate where i grew up and cycled BMX and then MTBs, and now my Pugsley, and i am happy i did some filming as at the time i had been told there was a good chance i was going to be diagnosed with MS,
    Well i thought `Screw that i have too much to do in my life yet!` and i will always remember the Doctors face when i said to him `My Pugsley saved my life`

Pugsleys are not just for Xmas but for life "

Coastkid,

Hear ya loud and clear. In December, I came down with Flu, which turned into Pneumonia, which turned Septic, and on Jan 1 of this year got a Medevac flight to try and save my lungs. The Docs wouldn't even give my wife a prognosis for 3 days, and were surprised at how fast I did bounce back, once stabilized. They told me that if I didn't overdo it, riding was a great idea, so we went home and I got back on the Pugs to start the work of regaining my Lung function.

All was well for about a week, until the infection that the first Docs missed attacked my Heart, inflaming it and filling my Perio-cardium with fluid, and I got another Lear Jet Medevac to a different hospital, where they managed to keep damage to the heart to minimum, and where the culprit was finally found, and killed off.

Docs at both places where a little amazed at the relatively minimal damage to my 55YO system, and all expect a full recovery.

I put it all down to my time on that KramPug. It has been the funnest bike I have ever owned, and is obviously a Health Benefit. Just don't let the Pharmaceutical Companies hear about it, or they will buy up Surly and raise the price. Thanks again for your inspiration!

I'm about to whistle up the dogs and go ride that Pugs right now.

Cheers,
    Kevin