Pugsley and sealing frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Pugsley and sealing frame?

Pug owners. How many of you have sealed the inside of your frames? Why did you do it? Why didn't you do it? Is it easy to do yourself?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I sprayed a little Amsoil HDMP down my seat tube and in any opening on the stays when I first got it. The stuff is about $7 for a huge can, stinks something fierce, and remains kind of oily. I have done the full treatment on a custom steel 'cross frame (spraying in every tube, slowly rotating the frame to get every nook and cranny), but the Pugs is such a heavy frame that even untreated, it will likely last years. I tried for months to get JP Wiegle Frame Saver, but it's always out of stock, and for $15 delivered, I got two 16 oz cans of the HDMP, which will be useful to treat the entire fleet of zombie apocalypse fat bike defense force frames when the day comes.

mtbr member
    I did do it. I used JP Weigle Frame Saver which is easy to use. Plug some strategic holes with paper, spray and rotate. You might consider putting some plastic or newspapers on the ground to prevent staining your floor. I 'saved' the frame because I ride it on the beach and in winter when roads are sprayed with salt. Also I have to bring my bike inside the house and I read condensation in the frame can do some damage.
    Keiler Cycles is where I work at!

mtbr member
    Spray a bit of chain lube inside.

The best defence against rust is to prevent water lying inside the frame. The best way to sort that is to drill a small hole in the bottom of the BB shell.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Mechainc
    I use Frame Saver for all my steel frames, it should be done about every 3-5 years on any steel frame. I use a whole can on one frame. steel frame rust from the inside typically. After a hard ride in rain or surf you should pull seatpost and air dry, if possible pull crank and BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    CK did an excellent write up on this forum some time ago.

I am in the process of testing out this product. Fluid Film.

Solvent free (lanolin base) non toxic, good for preventing snow/ice build-up
    marine equipment. Paid $11.00 / 11.75oz spray can @ John Deere

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I never did, I was going to do it, but I'm lazy. I think to do it correctly, you should probably strip it down to the frame so you can get it in all the nooks and crannys ?

mtbr member
    I did nothing for the first 3yrs of my Pugs life. I recently sprayed framesaver inside when I had the bike apart.

I didn't plug any holes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Rust Never Sleeps

Acquired as a coastal exploration rig and beach dune surfer, my '06 Pugsley received the Frame Saver spray treatment during its build.

mtbr member
    If I had a do over on the first three years I would have rinsed the salt off the exterior of the frame a bit more frequently and shot some rustproofing down the seat tube.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks all for the comments. I just called the shop and they are going to seal the frame today. Can't wait to pick up my new fatty tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I used JP Weigle Frame Saver on my 2nd pug frame i got this year, the new and unused purple MK1 , friend Mike got my old frame which had only been sprayed inside with GT85 a few times, having been used in the Sea (really!) there was a bit surface rust around the small holes and rack mounts, the buffed off with a wire brush on a grinder when i took the frame back to bare metal - so i imagine it would take years and years for a frame to rust to the point of it to become weak and dangerous,

Remember if you coat inside a frame with a rust proofer or other type of wax you should really not get the frame powder coated at a later date as that stuff may melt and run out in the Powder coaters oven and he wont be a happy chappy!

It takes no time to apply the frame saver if you decide to do it, i used coners of kitchen towel screwed up on the tiny weld vent holes and masking tape on larger areas, just follow the instructions and you cant go wrong,

When (HMS) Moonlander arrives it will be getting several coats as will see a lot of salt water
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/