Pugsley Rohloff Done!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Pugsley Rohloff Done!!!!

I finally had the time to get the Rohloff I have had since early December installed!
    It was a little intimidating at first just reading through the Rohloff manual, it was real smooth once I got started.
    Took it out on its maiden voyage as an IGH bike. Rode to the local brewery for a growler of Earth bitter A nine mile ride from where I live, smooth sailing. Cant wait to get more miles on the hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley Rohloff Done!!!!-img_0234.jpg  

Pugsley Rohloff Done!!!!-img_0231.jpg  

Pugsley Rohloff Done!!!!-img_0237.jpg  

Geordie biker
    Superb, I'd love to stick one on my moonlander
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Nice!!!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    need
    better
    pics.

and surly needs to make the rear brake braze ons in the new frames just like the top tube ones for rohloff cable routing...

mtbr member
    Looks great, the bike and the beverage. Does the Rohloff work well with the track ends on a Pug?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    need
    better
    pics.

and surly needs to make the rear brake braze ons in the new frames just like the top tube ones for rohloff cable routing...
    You mean triple braze ons on the left seatstay ?
    I have been thinking about adding some after my bike has been stripped for the coater.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    Does the Rohloff work well with the track ends on a Pug?
    I would recommend an IGH with bolt on axle for use in a Pug. QRs work, bolt on is very secure and easy to use. Rohloffs come in both varieties....other IGHs like the Alfines only come in bolt on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    A bolt on axle is indeed the prefered way to go.
    I have a Rohlof with a QR, and i use a tugnut on the drive side.
    Without them the axle will slip under my load.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yep it is Tugnuted on the drive side. Have not had any axle movement yet. I got a smokin deal on this hub so I had to go with the QR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've had my pugsley/ rohloff for about a year and a half and never looked back. Have you got the monkey bone ? it does make rear wheel removal a little easier.
    I'm excited about the next 907 to be released with sliding vertical dropouts, should be perfect for a rohloff and possibly a belt drive too.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    Yep it is Tugnuted on the drive side. Have not had any axle movement yet. I got a smokin deal on this hub so I had to go with the QR.
    Exactly the same over here.
    I had an alfine-11 on order that wasn't available yet.
    When a co-worker of a friend of mine who works for a bicycle company (Santos) had one laying around for 2 years that had a a full service and about 10.000km on it, and was asking around $450 for it.
    Needles to say i jumped on it.
    When it was laying on that friend's workbench, he noticed it was leaking a tiny bit.
    So it was send to Rohloff for an inspection.
    And when they send it back, it got lost in the mail..!!
    But Rohlof took care of it by sending a new one !

Great service !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

907/Belt/IGH

I just rode a 907/ Belt drive/ Alfine and it's pretty darn nice.

pi

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Pugsley with Rohloff soonish!

All: Great to see this is possible! I bought a Rohloff from a local bike racer who switched to derailleurs, then just today have a used 16'' Surly in the mail from Toronto.

I have Studded Dillingers on the way via the mail, am looking at racks front and rear, then some locally-made sheet metal fenders, kickstand, etc.

In my small, extremely isolated subartic town, I have to get all of the parts brought in by mail, preferably no later than Feb., as the 2 bike mech's get overrun once we get some sort of a thaw, even though May is still late winter here.

I have a pretty complete parts set for the Rohloff, including an anti-torque arm, beaded German cable housings, regular cable+housings and a shifter, manual.

Am I missing anything in terms of parts to mount the Rohloff in the Pugs frame?

I gather I need at least 1 Tugnut to mount the Rohloff on a Pugsley? Is there any other hardware that I need?

I am using a Sachs 7spd IGH that is down to gears 3, 4, 6, 7, so getting my subarctic cargo-commuter back into a multi-speed mode will be great! 500% mechanical advantage compared to 303% for the Sachs will be noticable going up the endless hills in the mountainous town in the subarctic!

Members who have read this thread: 0