Pugsley rear hub recommendations...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Pugsley rear hub recommendations...

Hey all...
    What are you running as a rear hub on your Pugs? I'll be putting LOTS of miles on it and ride all year long Rain, snow, hot, and in the middle of winter.

thx

Mark

Cheesiest
    I've got a Hope ss, but I would think that King, WI, I9 would all be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My next rear hub will be the $32 Shimano FH-M539. Cheap and bulletproof.

Shimano M529 Hubs - Outside Outfitters
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

SRAM dual drive

9 speed plus internal 3, works real slick and gives you 30% drop or raise . I really hardly ever go up but sometimes in soft snow or long climb with gear the extra low really come in handy

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    At the present I have a Shimano XT hub in back (Surly SS in front) with roughly 638 miles under the belt, however, my Surly Big Dummy with XT hubs has roughly 162 miles and the pawls in the rear hub are starting to skip… BADLY. My Big Dummy is also running Surly Large Marge rims (obviously the non-offset version) and so I am needing some advice on a rear hub upgrade for both the Pugsley and the Big Dummy.

It’s only a matter of time before the pawls of the XT hub on my Pugsley start to slip, as I do a lot of STEEP climbing. So, the question now, is, what is a semi cost-effective (willing to pay about 30% more) freehub exists to take the place of an XT hub yet with increased pawl life???
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My XT is constantly needing attention on my pugsley and I really can't see how that other Shimano hub is going to be any better with essentially the same design. The cones always come out of adjustment and my freehub body has had to be replaced.

I've just picked up a Hope pro II and plan to lace that up soon.

mtbr member
    I have a Hope Pro 2 rear and it has done 3 out of 4 years on the pugsley (1 year on an Alfine), It is still on original hub bearings and never been serviced despites thousands of miles of abuse,

Same for the Pro 2 SS rear on the front, no probs yet
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah hope pro II. Here as well

mtbr member
    I use Hope hubs on most of my bikes. They have an outstanding reputation for service, and unlike many of the exotic brands, they actually make the hubs themselves instead of just putting their sticker on something from Novatech. (Nothing wrong with Novatech's better quality items)

Also Hope provide spares for their obsolete products.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here also lots of good experience with Hope products. Also great CS when I had a problem with my freehub bearings.

Altough you do need to pull the freehub once a year to clean it thoroughly. Twice a year when you live in salty or really muddy/wet terrain.

Also no probs with shimano hubs. No loosening cones etc. But I do take care and regrease them after I buy one and I take care to get a good preload adjustment. Also once a year it's overhaul time. Could do that once every two years but I like tinkering and adjusting.

Just Ride!
    [QUOTE=Leopold Porkstacker;8345859]At the present I have a Shimano XT hub in back (Surly SS in front) with roughly 638 miles under the belt, however, my Surly Big Dummy with XT hubs has roughly 162 miles and the pawls in the rear hub are starting to skip… BADLY. My Big Dummy is also running Surly Large Marge rims (obviously the non-offset version) and so I am needing some advice on a rear hub upgrade for both the Pugsley and the Big Dummy.

Which XT hubs are we talking about? I have the XT M756 on my Pug going 5 years(Hubs rebuilt once) now and I do a lot of beach sand riding( some are pretty deep sand) so far no issues. I still might use the M756 for my next wheel upgrade because I think the seals are great in keeping out the sand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My Local Bike Shop said that the sram 9 hub is a good sub 100 hub. My wheel set is being build with one.

I will let you know how I like it once I get a few rides in

-amb

Dr Gadget is IN
    I have had really good results using the DT Swiss Onyx rear hub. It is a full cartridge bearing hub, but with a steel freehub body (cassette teeth don't bite in like an aluminum FHB).

I think they're still available - maybe not called Onyx anymore (370?). They've been bulletproof on my last 2 FS mtb's.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Hope is hard to beat for the $...

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire View Post

Which XT hubs are we talking about? I have the XT M756 on my Pug going 5 years(Hubs rebuilt once) now and I do a lot of beach sand riding( some are pretty deep sand) so far no issues. I still might use the M756 for my next wheel upgrade because I think the seals are great in keeping out the sand.
    I’ll have to check, but the wheelset was built back in April 2011 by an online retailer. Standard XT hub build—I guess I wasn’t aware of there being more than one type of XT hub.

Meanwhile, sounds like the Hope II setup is the way to go. Time to invest in my rolling future. Hope that shizzle comes in all sorts of anodized colours… no pun intended.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    9 speed plus internal 3, works real slick and gives you 30% drop or raise . I really hardly ever go up but sometimes in soft snow or long climb with gear the extra low really come in handy
    I was just thinking this would be the answer I've been looking for! Any chance I can get a pic of your setup? Which shifters did you use? I've read they make a rapid fire for the 3 speed too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    what about the superleggero hubs form superstar - anyone know about them ??

Cheesiest
    This (Canyon | Technology | Project Studies | Project 1.44²) looks cool, but probably way too much $$$

bikeboatbrewski
    Another vote for Hope, just had some Stans 355 650b hoops built up for my XC HT with the Hope Pro Evo 2.

I think they would do fine on a fat rig.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Guys...I just was trolling around and realized that I never posted a reply to this tread...

Shame on me...

thanks to all who replied.....

In the end I got a DT Swiss and have been very happy with it. I will only truly know how it will work when it gets warm enough for me to do my long rides on the Pugs again...I'll let you know how it is after I put a century on it. Hopefully sometime before end of June. I'll have to work back up to logging the big miles in it.

Thanks again.

Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    My next rear hub will be the $32 Shimano FH-M539. Cheap and bulletproof.

Shimano M529 Hubs - Outside Outfitters
    Quoting myself since the original post is old, but I built up some RD's with this hub and have been very impressed. For the price, it's a damn fine hub.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Have four pug wheels, two running Shimano FH-M539 and two XT and was always having pawls problem. Getting one of the wheel set with a Hope hub... no more problem...click,click,click,click...love that sound.
    “Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    I've got a Hope ss, but I would think that King, WI, I9 would all be good.
    lol or you could just use some Shimano XT. After all its just a Pugsley and not a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Concerning XT hubs, I think it depends on what version you run. There seem to be a lot of bad reports from the newer versions (775, 785...) about pawl failure. It seems when they redesigned the freehubs around the oversized alloy axles (vs the old style cromoly axles) there were issues.

I've run the old style XT M756 6-Bolt hubs on a few builds and the are very durable and dirt cheap. The downside is they have slow engagement (16 poe) and are heavy as bricks (~450g).

Recently I've also built a few wheels with the SLX M665 based on some recommendations from the Wheels forum. They have the old style cromoly axle, but a faster engaging 32poe freehub. They have a really solid rep for durability and are a bit lighter than the 6 bolt XT (last one was 385g). The only downside is they are centerlock only so you need an adapter or CL rotor.

All things concidered the SLX M665 is my new favorite budget hub.

mtbr member
    No pawls to freeze. Can overhaul in five minutes. Light. Above average engagement.

mtbr member

Shimano Alfine 8

My favorite hub is the Shimano Alfine 8.
    I put it on my Surly Necromancer and liked it so well I also put one on my Gary Fisher Big Sur mountain bike.
    See the review at: Shimano Alfine 8-Speed Internal Geared Hub « All Seasons Cyclist
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    chris king all the way, that's what i'm replacing my dt 240 with. the dt star ratchet is great in the winter, but he egagements are half of a king even with upgrade kit.There is no replacement for engagements with a bike, which is why shimano blows. The XT or XTR freehub are pretty much bombproof but they are heavy not rebuildable and have terrible engagements. king trumps hope because there aren't any pawls

so i would say:
    king
    dt w/ upgrade kit
    hope
    xt
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Hope (used mostly on the front) which is very nice, a Hadley, which is really, really nice (but I gave that to my wife for her Pugs) and now a King, which is awesome. The Shimano hubs that I have work great as drop out spacers when I ship my bike, but that's all I've found them useful for. Hope is probably the best bang for the buck, Hadley a close second, and the King is bling, but sure sounds great and engages really well, especially for slow speed crawling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by All Seasons Cyclist View Post
    My favorite hub is the Shimano Alfine 8...
    Pretty hard to go past this for a fatbike if you want gears. The much more expensive 11 speed Alfine doesn't seem to have the same reliability, and more important, if you follow the front/rear cog recommendation, you don't get a lower bottom gear. An extra 3 gears at the top don't seem of much use to me on a fatbike.

I've got a 5 speed S-A hub (includes drum brake) which I'm going to try shortly. I'd expect it to be as reliable (or more) as the Alfine 8, and it is about the same weight with slightly less range. It should be capable of taking lower gearing because these are used on industrial bikes with enormous loads. It weighs the same as the Alfine but that includes the weight of the brake as well so it will actually be lighter all up.

For singlespeed or derailleur use my favourite hubs are Hope. Extremely reliable, rebuildable, and first class service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So how much does the Alfine 8 hub weigh? Is is a weight gain or loss over a standard hub/cassette/deraillier when fully fitted?

bored ex-shop rat

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I have a White Industries M16 hub in black and I am more than happy for my
    choice
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    So how much does the Alfine 8 hub weigh? Is is a weight gain or loss over a standard hub/cassette/deraillier when fully fitted?
    If you build to the same budget I think the derailleur would be slightly lighter and the weight better distributed. XTR would be much lighter.

The important consideration is what use your bike is going to get.

In Scotland I have seen derailleurs wrecked because they got covered in slushy mud which then froze enough to cause the derailleur to get dragged into the wheel, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the guys who live in place where the temperatures are much lower.

If I had a derailleur on my bike it would discourage me from taking my bike into a lot of the places I go because of the high risk of damage to it (rocks, thick heather, and no path). This is why my geared bike has an Alfine rather than a derailleur.