mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Pugsley to Moonlander wheel compatibility

Ok, so I know nothing is set in stone to this point but a general question here.

They said they're sticking with the 135/135 platform for the Moonlander. I know that irritates quite a few of you. But my current wheels have roughly 17 degrees offset and the Moonlander is 28 degrees or so I believe.

Can I detension and reach 28 degrees with my current wheels? My spoke length the 260 front and rear if I remember correctly.

Thank you.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So many things are up in the air right now, and Surly is remaining tight lipped till Interbike.

By degrees, I assume you mean millimeters? Based on the most recent spate of Daryls I've built up, it's going to be tough to get an extra 11mm of offset out of them, but that being said, I haven't thought about it too much, or played around with spoke lengths etc.

I can say that the stated 4.5" tires will likely be a problematic fit, since the 3.8" current crop, on a 100mm rim is oh so close to rubbing. Running a narrow rim might allow fit, but why? Fatter tires want fatter clearance, not to be necked down so they can fit in an older design frame.

Me? I'd grab a set of hundies and run those on your pug if you want max fatness. Or, pony up for a Moonlander, and sell the Pug to a buddy!

I may be proved wrong on all this info, since I'm shooting from the hip, and we also don't have nearly all the info required. YMMV.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks.

I meant millimeters, you're correct.

Yeah, my intention is to buy a moonlander frame, I was just hoping to swap over as many parts as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by western high plains View Post
    Ok, so I know nothing is set in stone to this point but a general question here.

They said they're sticking with the 135/135 platform for the Moonlander. I know that irritates quite a few of you. But my current wheels have roughly 17 degrees offset and the Moonlander is 28 degrees or so I believe.

Can I detension and reach 28 degrees with my current wheels? My spoke length the 260 front and rear if I remember correctly.

Thank you.
    I don't think they ever actually said they were using 135 mm hubs. They just said "28 mm offset". There could be something else going on that we don't know about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If I read correctly they said the rear wheel is the same as the pugsley or something very similar to that. It's in the middle before they get off course and talk about stupid rim strips.

Self-defeatist
    My wheel build is pretty weird, excuse me while I talk this out. Right now my spoke holes are offset about 25mm, my spokes are a little tight on the dive side, and laced to an SS hub and an Alfine. If I were to offset further, would my spoke tension even out? Thinking about it after a couple IPA's is making me dizzy.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by western high plains View Post
    If I read correctly they said the rear wheel is the same as the pugsley or something very similar to that. It's in the middle before they get off course and talk about stupid rim strips.
    They say that "the rear dropouts are the same as the Pug". There's nothing in there about the rear wheel.

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG View Post
    My wheel build is pretty weird, excuse me while I talk this out. Right now my spoke holes are offset about 25mm, my spokes are a little tight on the dive side, and laced to an SS hub and an Alfine. If I were to offset further, would my spoke tension even out? Thinking about it after a couple IPA's is making me dizzy.
    yup moving the rim further over will loosen the drive side spokes and tighten the non-drive side spokes.

I am curious how this is going to look on a bike, 28mm offset is pretty extreme.