Pugsley Front Derailleur Help Needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Pugsley Front Derailleur Help Needed

Could someone post a close-up picture of the front derailleur on their Pugsley? I'm having trouble getting mine to work properly and I am not sure how it is supposed to mount (I built it up from the frameset).

Also, has anyone bypassed the welded-on post and used the E-type bracket that goes around the BB shell instead? I'm wondering if that might solve my problem.

mtbr member
    Go 1x10(or nine) solves that problem...
    More details please

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    You have two options depending on which FD you already have.

There's the "Problem Solvers 100mm Direct Mount Front Derailleur Adapter 34.9" or the e-type FD. Both will work, both use a different FD.

Need more details like AKxc said.

mtbr member
    Having problems clearing the chain rings? What model derailleur? The shimano one has an off centered bolt that had to be "flipped" on mine to clear the chain ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The FD seemed to be working okay until after a tumble down the side of a hill a couple weeks ago. After the tumble I got a lot of FD chain rub in either chainring unless I was in the middle cogs out back. I tried to adjust the FD at home afterward and now I can't get the chain to drop onto the little chainring at all.

When I built the bike, I just removed the bracket that goes around the BB and used that bolt hole to mount the FD to the frame. It seemed to work but I wasn't ever sure it was correct - it seemed to allow for a lot more flex than I am used to from clamp-type FD's. I'm wondering if I did it wrong and I'm hoping someone has a close-up picture of how a direct mount front derailleur is supposed to bolt to the tab on the frame.

The FD is a new SLX E-type, I can get the model # if it makes a difference...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    If you removed the e-type plate from the BB and are just running 1 bolt on the FD to the e-type post on the seat tube, something could have gone wrong after your crash. That plate is needed!!!

bored ex-shop rat

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Pugsley Front Derailleur Help Needed-img_0456.jpg
    Pugsley Front Derailleur Help Needed-img_0457.jpg
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, velopax! I totally set mine up wrong.
    Last edited by jnroyal; 03-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0