mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Pugsley 26x4 to 26x3

Im slowly coming to the realization that a proper set of 29x3 wheels for my Pugsley are out of my price range. $700+ is just not a reasonable amount of money to drop on a set of wheels/tires.

Ive contemplated going with a set of 26x3 tires to fit on my marge lite rims. For summer single track riding. I think 3 tires would square out nicely on the ML rims.

My only concern is how much will this drop my BB? I do single tracks that are pretty technical and I dont want to scrape my pedals on roots and rocks. Would going from 175 to 170 crank arms make any sort of difference to compensate for the drop?

mtbr member
    Have you tried reaching out to velocity USA? They might be able to help with the 29+ for a decent price, just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by msokol13 View Post
    Im slowly coming to the realization that a proper set of 29x3 wheels for my Pugsley are out of my price range. $700+ is just not a reasonable amount of money to drop on a set of wheels/tires.

Ive contemplated going with a set of 26x3 tires to fit on my marge lite rims. For summer single track riding. I think 3 tires would square out nicely on the ML rims.

My only concern is how much will this drop my BB? I do single tracks that are pretty technical and I dont want to scrape my pedals on roots and rocks. Would going from 175 to 170 crank arms make any sort of difference to compensate for the drop?

If your feet/cranks hit stuff now, they'll hit more, and more solidly, if you go with 3" tires.

29 x 3" wheels/tires were the best thing I ever did to my Pugs.

These might be of interest.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Mike, I thought 27.5 jackalopes was the best thing you ever did?
    (O.P.P.)

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Mike, I thought 27.5 jackalopes was the best thing you ever did?
    (O.P.P.)

Going to B Fat definitely improved everything about the Pugs. But not as much as 29 x 3" did.

Keep in mind the Pugs has always been a 3-season bike for me, never a snowbike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'mma jus be sain dis...

I sold my Stache OEM wheelset for 150 to fund my Hope/Arc wheelset. I would rather ride a generic sealed bearing hub laced to pinned Durocs with straight g spokes with 29x3 Chupacabras on a pugs for$150 than 26x3.

I know it's harder to find 29+ wheels laced to fat hubs, but you could probably source bargain components, lace them yourself, and have a competent builder finish them for a decent price.

Don't short change yourself if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Where do I find a set of wheels for $150? I have no idea what youre talking about when you say riding on a pair of pinned durocs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I guess you really need to know a bit more about bikes, parts, and building to be able to acquire bargain components.

Durocs (pinned version) were OEM 29+ rims on my Stache. If you can find a good deal on the parts you need, you can get a decent wheelset for much less than $700. I'm not saying you can get a $150 wheelset for your pug, but you may be able to find a set already built that someone decided they didn't like 29+ on their fat... Or you can find the parts you need, lace them up, them have a builder finish them for you.

turtles make me hot
    At least the rear wheel has to be offset laced to work on a Pugs. Not so sure a Duroc is gonna work.

I think this will work... A pair of Race Face Arc 40's with 4.5mm offset at 99.95 each, a Bike Hub Store 135mm rear hub at 109.95, a 9 Zero 7 front hub with rear brake spacing for 36.00 and LK Spokes from Ebay for 49.95.
    WTB Rangers can be had for 65 bucks apiece.
    Comes in well under 700 dollars.

Edit: Just looked at Mikesee's link. Those are sweet too. Just add WTB Rangers.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was very disappointed in 29+ wheels on my pug. They were good for bike packing and gravel but they never felt good for trail riding. I am on a small frame so that may have contributed.

A 26x3 would make the bb to low. If it were me, I would pick up a set of faster rolling 26x3.8 tires like a knard, etc. Actually that is what I did after I sold my rabbit hole wheelset.

As others have mentioned, your rim options are very limited due to the 17.5mm offset.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Yep. 3-season for you....everyday for me.
    Having said that, I sold my last Pug to build a Moonlander.
    Now I want a new Pug with a set of your 27.5+ wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I really appreciate all the comments, this forum has been great. Please keep the comments coming, dont be afraid to offer recommendations outside of what I asked I wont get offended

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by msokol13 View Post
    I really appreciate all the comments, this forum has been great. Please keep the comments coming, dont be afraid to offer recommendations outside of what I asked I wont get offended
    I would take mikesee up on his wheelset he has for sale if I were you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Definitely!

mtbr member
    Used 29+ wheels on Pugsleys for over 5 years now and love them, even termed the name `KramPug`
    Rabbit Holes are 60 each on eBay here in the UK, UK Halo spokes are 12 for 36, Shimano LX or XT hubs are cheap and if reversable wheels a Planet X SS kit is under 10,
    Used Knards can be had in UK for under 50, thats a cheap pair of 29+ wheels for yer Pug,
    Are you in Europe or UK?
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I love the KramPug set up. 3" are definitely too small, but there are lots of 3.8 x 26 fat tires that make good Summer rubber that are not really even 3.5" wide.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Maybe another way to approach this--

OP, how much do you want/have to spend? Do you want them prebuilt or do you want to tackle it yourself?

sluice box
    Gypsy did a 2.35 on marge lite 65mm wheels on his Pugs and biked from Alaska to the lower 48.https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/2...easons-part-2/
    ptarmigan hardcore