Pugs vs Pugs Ops *and* what size do I need- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Pugs vs Pugs Ops *and* what size do I need

Hey guys, I've been waiting on the sidelines, never able to justify the purchase of a Surly fatbike. Well, Santa just dropped the prices a LOT and I think I can now swing it. I'm crazy excited.

My only experience on a fatbike is I rented a Salsa Mukluk and did several hours of riding on sandy beaches, trails, and roads. I had a great time of course but I have no standard of comparison other than my mountain bike which is obviously totally different.

Called my LBS and they are happy to order a Surly for me. $899 for Pugs or $999 for Pugs Ops.

Which do you guys recommend? I prefer the color of the std Pugs. But if the Pugs Ops is significantly superior in some ways I could swing it. If they are pretty much the same bike, though, I'd prefer to (a) save the $100 and (b) get the color I prefer in the std Pugs.

I already went to the Surly website and honestly I don't understand the difference between the two bicycles.

Regarding size - I am 5'9". The Mukluk I rented was a medium and fit me fine. My Scott mtn bike is a medium and fits me fine. I'm pretty sure I would want the medium Pugs (18") unless you guys say otherwise.

Thanks so much for any feedback. I was not ready to buy a fatbike but I think I have a small window of time so I need to act fast.

RAKC
    First thing ONLY YOU van determine the correct size.

As for the rest, you answered your own questions. You have to decided what's more important, the improvements on the Ops, or the color/$100 savings on the regulars pugs.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Ops vs standard - depends on what you plan to do. The main diffs appear to be wider rims and more aggressive tires on Ops. Also, slightly better drivetrain components on Ops. Seems like more than $100 in upgrades to me. Both are screaming deals.

I love my pugs with 65 mm rims and knards. If you want to run wider tires in snow, go for the Ops. Can't go wrong with either one IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    First thing ONLY YOU van determine the correct size.

As for the rest, you answered your own questions. You have to decided what's more important, the improvements on the Ops, or the color/$100 savings on the regulars pugs.
    Thanks. I get it that it boils down to my choice. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the difference between the Pug and Pug Ops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Look at the cockpit geometry of your current bike, buy the size that mostly closely approximates it.

For me, the reach in medium of my normal MTB was about the reach for the small on the fatty I was looking at.

So I got a small. Works great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Where/when are you going to be riding it? For trails, logging roads, beach, and general riding, I'd go for the regular Pugs (if not opting for a SS or IGH). It comes with 65mm Marge Lite rims, which are decent all-round fat-bike rims.
    For Winter snow riding, I agree with going for the Ops, with the wider rims. It gives the tires a wider footprint. More float.
    I ride the WA coastal beaches and some trails, logging roads, backroads, and any newly seeded lawns that I can find (Just kiddin'), but not snow. I only get it maybe every other year for about 2 or 3 days where I live, due to my proximity to the ocean. The 65mm Marge Lites are just right for my riding, but I've often wondered if 82mm rims would be worth the added weight penalty, especially if they seduced me into running wider/heavier tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Where/when are you going to be riding it? For trails, logging roads, beach, and general riding, I'd go for the regular Pugs (if not opting for a SS or IGH). It comes with 65mm Marge Lite rims, which are decent all-round fat-bike rims.
    For Winter snow riding, I'd go for the Ops, with the wider rims. It gives the tires a wider footprint.
    Thank you!

I guess this bike will be used:

20% beach riding
    10% snow riding
    40% trail riding (dirt, gravel, etc)
    30% on pavement riding

I ended up ordering the regular Pugsley. Sounds like it will work well for my intended purpose. Thanks all!