Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)

Decided to have my pugsley go on a diet as he was a little beefy to start.

First things first... Weight: 36.17 lbs
    +Crank: Hussefelt
    +Rear Der: XT
    +Front Der: SLX
    +Shifter: Deore 2x9
    +Cassette: Deore 11t-36t
    +Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo 40
    +Seatpost: already upgraded to Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Post
    +Brakes: Avid BB7
    +Wheels:Rolling Darryls, front already drilled, rear drilled out slightly
    +Stem: Truvativ AKA

Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2425.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2424.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2567.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-photo-2.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2571.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2573.jpg

Diet started with...
    +Crank: Raceface Turbine (red for a splash of color), used the same rings so that weight is a non-factor
    +Rear: SRAM X7
    +Front: kept SLX
    +Shifters: XO grip shifters 2x9
    +Cassette: kept Deore 11t-36t
    +Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto 1 Carbon
    +Seatpost: already upgraded to Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Post
    +Brakes: maybe not as light (+8g claimed weight/brake, 16g total) but better performance IMO, Hayes Dyno Comps
    +Wheels: Drilled out the rear unused spoke holes, went ghetto tubeless (rolls way better and saved ~2 lbs just from that! 34.76 lbs pic)
    +Stem: Cannondale C3

Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2568.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2572.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2574.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-photo-2-1.jpgPugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-photo-1-1.jpg

End Weight: 33.44 lbs!!

Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2575.jpg

Weight dropped: 2.73 lbs (most of the weight was from going tubeless and could really be felt when I took it out for the first time)

I tried out the new shifters and tubeless tires but haven't been able to try the cranks, handlebar, stem, and brakes yet. It has been too wet lately but I will have to try it out on the single track once it dries up a bit!

Possible future upgrades:
    +Cassette
    +1x9?!? (not really interested, but it would save some weight)
    +Front Der
    +Carbon fork (currently have a Moonlander steel fork on)
    +Carbon wheels (too $$$ right now)
    Any other suggestions?

Pretty happy with the diet thus far... rolls smoother, lighter, and as always, puts a smile on my face every time I ride it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)-img_2526.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Pugs goes on a diet!! (Pic Heavy)

Wow, the difference between the Race Face crankset and the Hussefelt crankset is huge!

I'm still running my stock Hussefelt on my SS Pugs. I'm tempted to change them out for big weight savings, but they've been so durable and have required zero maintenance through years of use, so I'm torn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Wow, the difference between the Race Face crankset and the Hussefelt crankset is huge!

I'm still running my stock Hussefelt on my SS Pugs. I'm tempted to change them out for big weight savings, but they've been so durable and have required zero maintenance through years of use, so I'm torn.
    Ya, its a huge difference (~3/4 lbs) right there! I will be keeping my stock crank but the reviews on the turbine were good from what I read and its decently priced for the weight difference. I will let you know once I am able to get out and ride it how it performs. Super excited to go out and ride but the trails and mud here right now...

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post

the Hussefelt BB weighs nearly as much as the entire turbine crankset, arms, spindle and BB. There are a few on closeout for around $180 if you can find them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    you can take a look at nextie carbon rims.