Pug owners... question about your large marges.- Mtbr.com
    undercover brother

Pug owners... question about your large marges.

So I picked up my new Pug last night from my LBS, and I am stoked. I got to cruise around downtown Cincinnati last night for a couple hours, getting strange looks from a lot of people . The shop that I got it from is definitely reputable, and I never question their work. But, my rims seem slightly out of true, and I mean ever so slightly. There is some definite tire wabble that makes it look a little more out of true than it really is. Is this normal since the rims are so large? I get free work done for a year, so I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to part with it and I am annoyingly meticulous when it comes to my bikes . So unfortunately, if these do need trued it'll happen asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can't say about factory built wheels, but I've built a lot of Marge heavies and never had one start to get out of true either while building or riding. That said, on the downhill (non-drilled) versions I've noticed some tweak where the rim is welded (or pinned on older versions) like the rim wasn't lined up perfectly when the ends were fused (which makes the rim look out of true by <4mm). Fortunately, the holes seem to be drilled afterwards, putting them in a nice straight line.

Frt Range, CO
    I've got three Large Marge DH and two Clownshoes, two of my three Large Marges have a kick at the weld and one of my Clownshoes has a kick. I use a tensionometer to set final spoke tension and ignore the kick, besides, what's the point of perfectly true rim when the tires have kicks too....

mtbr member
    I had a similar experience and found it was the tire not being on the rim exactly right rather than the rim or bike having a problem.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Did you check the wheel with tire on or off? My experience would echo what has been said, there is a good chance the tire is the culprit.

undercover brother
    I may just deflate and reseat the tire and see if that helps. I'll check the rim welds as well.

mtbr member
    Mine were good until a frickin golden retriever literally ran full bore into my front wheel into the spokes. Strangely enough, only slightly bent a couple spokes and wheel is only untrue a bit. Gonna be getting it straightened out next week hopefully. I've been able to ride fine since then, but I had to adjust my BB7s so they didn't rub. Other than that no probs!
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would suspect the tire, It's a real tough job to get these tires set dead straight and true. Spin it by hand with your finger tip just off the the rim to check the rim.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I've used Windex or soapy water sprayed on the beads of my fat tires to help the tires pop into place and seat properly.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I've used Windex or soapy water sprayed on the beads of my fat tires to help the tires pop into place and seat properly.
    yup lotsa liquids can be used to aid in seating the beads....hell plain H2O even.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Large Marge are bombproof

I'm a fan of LM. The pinned seemed a little truer than welded ( I have both ) but no worries with either. It's nearly impossible ( for me ) to true a welded LM because of the hump where the weld is. You might want to set your own spoke tension to get the best compromise between tension and true. Parktool TM-1 is accurate, inexpensive, and easy to use.

Members who have read this thread: 0