PSA: Salsa conversion hubs- Mtbr.com
    Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator

PSA: Salsa conversion hubs

So I'm generally loathe to just openly gripe about an otherwise good company, but yesterday, well, I'm pretty ticked....

Customer with a less than year old ICT Ops came in. Freehub body is shot.

He rides hard, and buys parts as he breaks them, just like anyone else who knows they really use their stuff like intended.

"No problem, those FHB's are replaceable, and serviceable, I'll get you taken care of"....

It's beyond service, all good, it happens. He was totally fine with buying a new one if need be, LOVES the bike.

So, imagine my dismay, when after checking Q's website, and finding only XD drivers available currently, (and calling to make sure I wasn't missing anything), that Salsa has seen fit to discontinue that part, and I can only assume, the hub as well.

I've sold a ton of these over the last year or two. Not that I'm seeing failures running rampant, this isn't a gripe about quality of product.

Just seems like they (via Surly) ought to support the product for a few years, particularly after flooding the market with them last December.

So, heads up folks, got a Salsa hubbed OEM wheelset? Start shopping for new hubs and doing a wheel rebuild when your $40 part won't work anymore, on an otherwise totally functional hub.....

Hope, DT Swiss, etc. Mad credit for actually still offering service parts long after the design has been modified.

Salsa/QBP/Surly? Not so impressed....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I should add, they do have a strategical stash currently, just none for open purchase, so I'll get one for him, but it'll be a conversation with him, that I'd rather not be having, when he comes to get it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

blood in / blood out
    Sounds like typical Q fashion. Some days I wonder about that company.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Not the fake Jay Leno
    It does stink that they don't offer the part. However, given how long the first one lasted, if it were my bike, I'd rather change out the hub to something more reliable and with access to parts in the future if needed.

All fat, all the time.
    Put in a hope and be done with it.

Yeah, they seem to hold up pretty well overall, so I'm not worried about a landslide of issues.

That said though? Even if you drop something like a rear hub in favor of some new improved design, whatever, it's "the polite" thing to do, to support small parts for at least a few years.

To summarily dump all support less than a year after you sell a metric ton of them to consumers, is not cool.

Now, a $40 part failure becomes a $400 job. I love that sort of conversation, not....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    Ya know... I have one of those hubs on the back of my son's bike laced to a Marge Lite. Only reason I have it was at the time I was building the bike, Hope and Bike Hub Store were both out of hubs and the only hub I was able to get my hands on was the Salsa. I wasn't thrilled about it but it got him on the bike.
    Now, that medium frame is about to become my wife's beach bike and I KNOW my wife will never generate enough torque to harm that hub but I hate knowing I won't be able to fix it if something does happen to it.
    I guess I'll be lacing that rim up to a BHS hub sooner than I thought.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Does another brand make a Shimano freehub that works? I know the Race Face XD freehub was the exact same as my Salsa XD driver, same markings, spacers and everything. I bought a few when Jenson was clearancing them out for $19.99 and am actually running one at the moment. I'd guess the Shimano one should mount up, if they too hadn't been discontinued.
    Ď19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That does seem to be the direction qbp had been going - from alternator drop outs, mds chips, matching color warranty parts lately.

I think they have figured it to be a way to be more profitable.

They seem to be making a phase shift from support your local shop to dtc with a lot of their (public and private) moves lately. If I were still in the lbs business, I would think long and hard about continuing to support them and their brands.

You might have luck contacting formula and see if they can provide a FHB, but ultimately, I'd move away from their proprietary products for lack of longitudinal support.

g

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Mendon, The SRAM freehub is the exact same one.
    This! MCS check yo email for a link.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Paochow is correct...Raceface hub free hubs might fit. I bought an XD free hub last year based on his recommendation and it's an exact match for the Salsa Conversion hub that I've got.

bigger than you.
    Perhaps this is related to QBP taking their parts manufacturing in house after farming it out for ages? A lot of their catalog for their house brands was unavailable for most of the year; perhaps they haven't gotten fully up to speed on this particular item?

Not Q bashing, at least not directly.

I spoke with a Q, CS agent on Friday. She checked the part, and found the same I did. Dug a bit more, and I'm fairly certain, checked with a Salsa rep, who replied it was discontinued.

That right there? That was the opportunity to display proper information dissemination.

Salsa rep (in my dreams): "Yep, we dropped those under our parts list, but it's exactly the same part as the Sram 12mm TA hub FHB, here's the part number."

Alas, I got, "it's a discontinued item, but we have a few left in warranty stock so we can take care of your customer".

No mention at all, of an alternate option going forward.

As such, here I am.....

If there is a Sram drop in alternative? Color me happy. If not, yes, I'm unhappy with Q's handling of service parts exclusive to their house brand(s).....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    On the topic of OEM Hubs, I just found out I broke a pawl on the Salsa Muk-2 style freehub (alloy). Any ideas where I can find/buy a single pawl? Bearings, the other 2 pawls, and the ring spring thing are in good shape. Hate to spent an oodle of $$$ fixing this when I plan on selling the bike in a month...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Disregard- QBP Got back to me and they are sending a set of pawls! Awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Surly next version of the Ice Cream Truck is still spec-ed with a salsa 197 hub - is it possible that the folks you talked to at QBP are miss informed?

Ice Cream Truck | Bikes | Surly Bikes

"Rear hub Salsa 197x12 32h"

Lots of folks in my area are going to be sad if parts are no longer available, as there are quite a few salsa and surly bikes around with those hubs, and they are going to need parts for them.

I have to admit, I am a bit baffled why those hubs are so common, give they cost about as much as dtswiss's fat hub, which are (IMHO) much nicer hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are so common because they've been on the market for about 4 years before DT fat hubs
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    They are so common because they've been on the market for about 4 years before DT fat hubs
    I realize for a while they were one of the few reasonable priced options - what I meant is why they are still spec-ed on any bikes at the moment, given their list price is about the same.

But this is all an aside - really given they are still on bikes for sale sold via qbp right now, so it seems like they should still be stocking parts.

So I called back yesterday (never got the call or email I was promised) and this time, yes, got a straight answer.

The Sram 12x142 hubs, FHB, is the correct replacement unit.

I'm glad for that, but also frustrated it took 2 phone calls, multiple CS agents, and a post on the web, to get what should be already listed in the catalog, as a direct replacement, as they do with many items that this happens to. No listing for a FHB whatsoever, and if you look at the complete hub listing, which often lists part #'s one might be seeking, nada. That there is a listing for the XD driver under "Salsa", but not the standard, further adds confusion.

Regardless, this is a PSA, and that's the straight deal. Thanks all!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Most generic hubs are manufactured by Formula and generally free hub bodies are the same on different brands. Not always easy to find but I have had great success over the years matching a body from one brand to another.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    So I called back yesterday (never got the call or email I was promised) and this time, yes, got a straight answer.

The Sram 12x142 hubs, FHB, is the correct replacement unit.

I'm glad for that, but also frustrated it took 2 phone calls, multiple CS agents, and a post on the web, to get what should be already listed in the catalog, as a direct replacement, as they do with many items that this happens to. No listing for a FHB whatsoever, and if you look at the complete hub listing, which often lists part #'s one might be seeking, nada. That there is a listing for the XD driver under "Salsa", but not the standard, further adds confusion.

Regardless, this is a PSA, and that's the straight deal. Thanks all!
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

turtles make me hot
    Cool, Mendon. Thanks.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have to agree with the OP. I was building a Salsa Bucksaw. I bought the OEM carbon wheels which came with the xd (sram) freehub. I run di2 on my other bike and wanted the same for this bike. I had already purchased the di2 setup. I checked every website for the shimano hub and there was no stock. I even called Salsa. The guy that answered the phone and tried to help me was inept at his job at best. I had to tell him the part# UPC and describe it. I got frustrated with him and just hung up. I literally had to start calling around to every Salsa bike shop. Everyone who checked could not find it either. The cool thing is everyone person I spoke to at a bike shop was knowledgeable and friendly. Most went over the top trying to find it for me. Most even followed up to see if I had any luck finding one. I finally found one at about the 40th store I called (literally). They charged me $95 for it + $10 to ship it. When I finally got it it came with a quick release quick release end cap. I needed a through axle. Well the search for that was on. I scoured the web and finally found the end caps for another $50. My experience with the hubs was horrible. My experience with the bike (my first fatty) has been nothing short of amazing. I love this bike. In the end the bike performs so well I don't even care about that situation anymore. However I have already started making plans for a different hubs.
    :rockon: Camber Expert Carbon EVO :yesnod: Salsa Carbon Bucksaw :thumbsup:

bigger than you.
    I have a thought regarding this: QBP was formerly a Shimano distributor, but has since stopped carrying them with a vengeance, due to Shimano going dealer direct and refusing to support MAP pricing standards to protect anyone who sells their products. It might follow that Salsa/QBP, in their fit of pique, also discontinued shimano free hub bodies... Perhaps they desperately want everyone using their products, to not use Shimano?

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    They still sell Shimano.
    Do they? I seem to recall a dealer memo to the contrary. I may be mistaken however...

No longer carrying Shimano pedals.

Otherwise, full line of components....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I'm reviving this thread in hopes of finding help, hope, or commiseration about these damn hubs. Cassette notched up the shimano splines, so I found a sram x9 freehub body that I think will fit for $25 on ebay. I removed the old one, cleaned out most of the gray peanut butter grease and slipped it on, only to find that the end cap wouldn't thread onto the axle. Long thin aluminum filings in there, so I cleaned and scraped and needle filed the threads a bit. Still won't even begin to catch threads. A week later I'm two hours from home on a bike trip when BAM! another freehub, on another wheel pops. Took it off, pawls are busted, packed with gray and white grease in there. Also, the end cap threads are muffed up worse than the last one. Hub bodies are fine, and I can salvage pawls from one for the other, but the only end caps I've found are $50! GRRR! Now I've made a crazy bargain impulse buy on a used Carbon Beargrease with taller gearing and Salsa hubs, and I've heard a couple scary clicks while climbing steeps. I'm scared to even remove the end caps now, even though I know I should change that pawl grease! I know it's risky buying w/o warranty, and I guess I shouldn'ta let my thighs get so big, but now I gotta replace hubs or keep spending time and money on these.

mtbr member
    Bringing up an old thread...is the X9 Freehub that will work in place of the original?
    https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-X9-Freehub-Body

That looks to be the one. Been a while since I thought about it though.

I'd suggest calling them, telling them what you want it for, and having them note it in your order history.

Inspect closely, try a dry clean fitment, if it works, cool, if not, make the giant mail order house/destroyer of small brick and mortar shops, take it back since it'll hurt them about as much as it hurts an elephant to step on a grape....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Iíll give it a try, Hopefully Iíll avoid having to replace the hub and rebuild the rear wheel.

Report back if it works, that sort of thing is what makes forums like this, really good long time reference tools.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Unfortunately/fortunately no update on if it this worked. I went to pull the Freehub off and it was jammed on and both axle bearings are toast (on a hub with less than 1000 miles on it since itís a backup wheelset), I decided to just replace the hubs with Hope hubs. I have those on my other wheelset and have had zero issues in 4 years in winter riding

Ah well....

Hope is a good move, sounds like you already know that though!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Pretty sure that's the same one I used for my Bucksaw, though mine is from ebay. I have a spare for next time from Jenson. I think I used the old spacer, though. It's steel, so a bit heavier, but no worries about the usual notches from the cassette.